Year of the band (Updated)

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
GET-N-RITE
Duck South Addict

Year of the band (Updated)

Postby GET-N-RITE » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:43 am

I have been duck hunting since I was about 12 and I have had luck as to killing bands or being apart of killing a band, however this has been the craziest year ever. Early goose season band, then banded mallard, then another, then Wednesday banded goose, and Friday killed a banded shoveler. The only time I can think of anything like this happening is when we killed 2 bands back to back on two different groups of ducks.

Anyway here is the crazy part about all of this. I called the shoveler in and they told me it was banded in 1963. I asked her if she knew what she was saying and again she says 1963. So I wait around about an hour and I call them back. I talk to a different person and they tell me the same thing. I am waiting to here back if I have killed something that will or could change the way we think of waterfowl because I dang sure don't expect them to live 51 years. The band was not worn down at all, but it was an old federal AVISE BIRD BAND WASH DC. I think they may have made a mistake, because even 1993 seems unimaginable. I will report back when they call or send me my certificate.
Last edited by GET-N-RITE on Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duck$$$
Veteran

Re: Year of the band

Postby Duck$$$ » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:05 am

That is crazy. Let us know what they say.
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:42 am

I have seen more bands killed this year than ever. My brother and his crew have killed 2 banded greenheads in a little puddle in the middle of a pine tree forest in Rankin County within a week. One banded in 2003.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:48 am

Yea, we're gona need an update on this when you get one. That's crazy.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
the doctor
Duck South Addict

Postby the doctor » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:40 pm

Clean livin...clean livin.

the doc
RedEyed Duck
Duck South Addict

Postby RedEyed Duck » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:42 pm

I am interested in purchasing duck calls that were made by Mike McLemore. I am a family member and they have a sentimental value.
davidees
Duck South Addict

Postby davidees » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:13 am

I started duck hunting in 1995. The ducks I've killed number in the thousands, but I've never taken a band. Not once.
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:04 am

I've been waterfowling 15 years. I had a real good run in my early 20's when I lived in the Midwest and really laid the smack down, and got to do a good bit of guiding and saw a ton of birds die.

I harvested my second band two weeks ago. and that's only the 3rd band I have ever seen harvested.

its just the luck of the draw.
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
hntrpat1
Duck South Addict

Postby hntrpat1 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:17 am

Its all in where you hunt and what kind of birds you kill. I grew up hunting west la and we killed thousands of birds shooting mostly divers and never saw a band killed. I move over here and kill bands usually every year. Two years ago I killed 4 wood duck two mallards and a teal. I've seen bluebills and redheads bands here. I don't know how many of those we shot on toledo bend over the 20 years I've hunted but i've never seen one until hunting here.
GET-N-RITE
Duck South Addict

Postby GET-N-RITE » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:34 am

Well I received an email this morning stating that there is a discrepancy or potential error. There will be an investigation and the bander will be contacted to try and work out the error. The email states that this can be a very long process and may take months.

It will still be neat to see how old this band really is. I don't know if the information is placed into the system using a keyboard, but the number 1993 / 1963 are very close together when typing. Still 21 years seems pretty crazy to me, especially for an ole Miami mallard. If it is I might go on tour in the state of AL. I would be a legend there.
driveby
Duck South Addict

Postby driveby » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:11 pm

I didn't even know they banded shovelers. :?
http://www.dixielandcalls.com
http://www.sdb.alducks.com
http://www.SouthernDuckBoats.com

"Are you sure you're Albanian? You don't look full blooded" - Don Miller
hntrpat1
Duck South Addict

Postby hntrpat1 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:47 pm

They band everything
arduckslayer
Duck South Addict

Postby arduckslayer » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:11 pm

sab316
Veteran

Postby sab316 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:10 pm

I killed a banded greenhead this year. My first ever band I've killed, been duck hunting for 10+ years now (not saying thats long compared to some of you). It was hatched in 2008 or earlier, and banded in 2009.

And I thought my duck was fairly old :lol:

I FOUND a band on a duck that I had frozen to train my pooch with. It was a susie, and I got her out of the freezer and drove to the farm. Grabbed her by the neck to throw it, and heard a clink and looked down and a band was there! :shock: I always check up on the upper part of the leg in the feathers after that one.
davidees
Duck South Addict

Postby davidees » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:10 am

Return to “General Discussion Forum”