A good read about call makers

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Barq's
Veteran

A good read about call makers

Postby Barq's » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:03 pm

Found by looking up the address on "Call Id" subject.....

http://www.archive.org/stream/louisiana ... a_djvu.txt
Jake St. John
Veteran

Re: A good read about call makers

Postby Jake St. John » Mon May 25, 2015 6:58 am

I enjoyed the read as far as I read. I fondly remember hunting with the late Jimmy Riddell from Jackson, Ms. I also appreciate him taking me under his wing (a young college boy) and teaching me to make and use his calls. A picture of my "go to" Riddell call is attached. ..... In reference to Nash Buckingham's chapter in the De Shootinest Gent'men, "The Neglected Duck Call", I posted an article on this forum in 2009. I post again to show that Nash played his duck call like a musical instrument - "But he could not call flight ducks."

Jimmy Riddell call that he made in 1962 and that he used for 3 years. It sat in a drawer for another 2 years until I bought the call from him at the end of the 1967-68 season for $20.

This is for you Champcaller--- I was hunting with Mr. Riddell ( a great duck call maker, duck hunter from Jackson) back in the late 60’s. His eyesight was getting poor and I was along to spot the flight ducks coming south from the North. This was usually before, during, or just after a front. Back then, before the shortstopping by the big refuges north of here, the ducks would line up, sometimes flight behind flight coming south to find feed and resting areas. Mr. Jimmy said there were 3 flyways back then. Along the Ms. River, Along the reservoir line, and along the hill line. He hunted a resting duck marsh hole on the hill line south of Greenwood. He had been hunting this one hole since the 40’s. The hole was approximately 60 yards long and 40 yards wide sitting on a flowing spring fed run. Anyway, that particular A.M. Mr. Reed could not go, and I was fortunate enough to go along as the chief spotter. His blind was a box car blind with 3 shooting holes on the front with a boat garage on the back. It was so well camouflaged that you could stand in your boat 25 yards in front of the blind and not see it. “Flock coming from the North” I would shout, and Mr. Jimmy would go to work on his favorite homemade call. You could only see the flicker of sunlight on their wings they were so high, but after his hailing, they would set their wings, and start their circling decent. What seemed like 5 minutes latter he would have a flock of 20 to 25 lighting all in the swimming Herter decoys and drinking water first as flight ducks will do. He would shirt pocket that Riddell call, turn to me and say, “pick you one out on the water”. -- We had just picked up the last duck and Mr. Jimmy said “Let’s have some fun.” “Find me a flock” Since it had been non stop since about 8:00, I did just that and Jimmy lit the first flock in the hole bout 10 minutes later. With that flock on the water he started working on the second flock and lit it. The third trailing flock didn’t need much calling having seen all the previous activity and I watched as Mr. Jimmy pocketed that call in his shirt pocket and listened in enjoyment as a loud mouth hen took over. With the last duck on the water Mr. Jimmy then stood up and shouted “ IT’S YOUR LUCKY DAY,GIT OUTTA HERE”. He then sat down , lit his pipe,and told me that he invited Nash Buckingham down for a hunt one time from Memphis. I had just read The Best of Nash Buckingham and was all ears. He said he put him in one of his best flight duck blinds. He said the ducks were coming from the North just like they were that day. About 9:30 or 10:00 he could hear Nash at the other blind because the wind was just right. He was playing Home on the Range, Yankee Doodle and just about anything you wanted to hear on his duck call. Then he said “But he could not call flight ducks.” He said he was a fantastic shot though and killed a few that day that came in range of his Bert Becker. --- Sometimes I step into my own box car blind , and reflect back on those great times. Those were the GOOD OLE DAYS!!!

Mr. E
Ben Lee on Turkey Hunting ---- "It's a disease, your going to do it till you die"
SWAG
Duck South Addict

Postby SWAG » Tue May 26, 2015 9:53 am

^ great story
Are we gonna get wet?
champcaller
Duck South Addict

Postby champcaller » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:52 am

Achilles' Man in Black - CashMH

www.frontlinewaterfowl.com