worst season in 33+years

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Agua
Veteran

Re: worst season in 33+years

Postby Agua » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:02 am

Three is the new six. :lol:
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:40 am

We've been at it for 52 years (started when we were 10 & 12 y-o) - 38 of those have been 'together'. There have been better years measured by numbers, but in the grand scheme - they're all good.

I'm just thankful to still be able to go. There will come a time that I can't - but it's not here, yet. I feel for my friends like Laduck and Crow (and others). I'm sure they will continue to inspire others.

I still enjoy the anticipation with the first morning glow and sounds of wings overhead in the dark. So does my wife - and BJ. As long as one of us still gets excited about hunting (regardless of prospect or how you assess the 'results'), I will feed off their excitement and contribute my part of the team effort. I might get to shoot - might not. Just let me break a duck down and get him eyeball to eyeball.

As slow as it is - it's all still worth whatever you go through to get there when one mallard likes your set-up and works to one well-timed greeting with a call that is half your age and still reliable.

It also helps to have both ESP's working on the chance you hear a lone drake......you can tell where he is. You know, you have to clean those things out every now and then. :shock:

Didn't go today - I know someone more intense and hopeful than I will likely be in one of my favorite spots and will leave all their crap behind for me to deal with next time out. They just don't get it.

But the negativity is diminished when 5% of the ducks the 'team' takes home in this 'slow year' is banded and it comes at the lowest point. It's been 7 years for me and 6 for her since the last one. She was well overdue and I'm glad we can still share those moments together.

Amazing how the rewards (however few, at times) keep you interested and hopeful.

And dogs just don't live long enough do they.

The gumbo is 'done'.....'gotta go scout now, and gather some cane to brush the boat with tomorrow. Damn, it's gonna be cold. At least it's not raining right now. :mrgreen:

Life is short - relish the muck. Shoot straight - make it count.
"I'd like to be remembered among my closest waterfowling friends (if I am remembered at all) for how I hunted them - not how many I killed" - [Jay Strangis]
cupnglide
Veteran

Postby cupnglide » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:16 pm

Well said, Anatidae. We all should keep a grateful heart that we're able to get after them.

One thing that Barq's said happened to his group hit home. They had ducks pitching in, and some nearby hunters shot just to spook the ducks. This has happened to me several times the last couple years. That bad behavior seems to be becoming "acceptable" among new hunters.

I honestly think it is the worst offense one group can put on another. Anybody that would do that is a POS punk. Spooking ducks is like stealing from another hunter. You're stealing his time invested, money invested, effort, research, memories, and yeah, shots at ducks.

If you get beat by another group landing ducks, figure out why. Is it their spot, decoy spread, calls, or better hide?

I realize posting on here is preaching to the choir. What's the solution? If a guy will do it, he won't suddenly listen to reason if you confront him.
Never assume.
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:18 pm

I agree - lowest of the low.

That's an act of a sore 'looser'........(not that it's a competition...... :roll: )

It's more prevalent with the 'score-keeping' crowd these days.
"I'd like to be remembered among my closest waterfowling friends (if I am remembered at all) for how I hunted them - not how many I killed" - [Jay Strangis]
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:18 am

"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/
augustus_65
Veteran

Postby augustus_65 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:10 pm

tica-tica
Veteran

Postby tica-tica » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:19 pm

novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:39 pm

"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
tica-tica
Veteran

Postby tica-tica » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:05 am

Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:03 pm

I have been doing this for about 25 years now and wish I had the physical ability to go as I used to. Being disabled has made me appreciate the lean years for just being able to be there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”