How many of you keep a log book?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
SWAG
Duck South Addict

Re: How many of you keep a log book?

Postby SWAG » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:11 pm

I started a log for my son with his very first duck and he has kept it going since he got old enough to do it. There is some "cool" things you can derive from it, but also it does not trump what you are looking at outside at this very moment + years of experience. I still think it is a great thing to do for youngsters when they begin their journey. And I will admit I like the numbers....just like baseball stats :lol:
Are we gonna get wet?
bigdecoy
Regular

Postby bigdecoy » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:30 pm

I have been keeping a log like th- 77's since the 1974- 1975 season . I stopped in 2000 but still duck hunt about 20 times a season. Its great to go back and read/reminisce about all those hunts when you could hunt almost anywhere you wanted with premission. I have a great format page if anyone would like a copy. I had my log books made using that page . Let me know an e -mail add. and ill send it.
FoldedUp
Regular

Postby FoldedUp » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:38 am

I started one last season, but didn't update it religiously like I did this season. I didn't get too detailed... Hunt #, Date, Location, Who was in the group, which dog(s) we used and then harvest breakdown of species and gender. Used those numbers to get totals for the hunt group as a whole, and I also set up a 2nd harvest breakdown for my portion of the group totals. Basically have totals and species breakdown for the whole hunt and for me, personally. I also have a notes section in which I mark down anything notable or memorable from the hunt. Some examples of my notes include "terminator duck", "dog retrieved same duck twice", "hot, miserable and skunked"..... "took a bath on accident". Also keep any photos I have related to the season in a folder.

ETA: Numbers aren't what's important, obviously. I'm a statistics nerd at heart, though, so it helps me look back and smile and remember the experience as a whole..... not just based on the number of ducks. I particularly enjoy my random notes and my "Who" column.... that's where my memories lie. Next year, however, I intend to keep track of more things that will help me continue to try to understand their patterns related to weather, water levels and other factors.
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Postby GulfCoast » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:44 pm

I can't look at one without thinking of Webfoot, and the ones he made/gave away, so I quit doing it.
So many ducks, so little time....

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH (2005-2017)
HRCH Tipsy MH
Zsa-Zsa Puppy
Chuckle12
Duck South Addict

Postby Chuckle12 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:14 pm

I have kept one for the last 14 years. Started doing it when I got my first dog, mostly to keep up with number of retrieves. Now I write down where, who, when, # killed, # retrieved by my dog and any memorable aspects of the hunt.
Μολὼν λαβέ
HRCH Man with a Loaded Gun MH
HR Quest's Loaded Gun 4/8/00-7/5/12 RIP
Hambone
Duck South Addict

Postby Hambone » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:19 pm

I have kept a log faithfully since 1976, except for a couple of "lost" years in the early 1980's while I was "busy" at Ole Miss. It is now around 2000 pages and consists of several volumes. There are lots of memories of all sorts within those stories.
SB
Duck South Addict

Postby SB » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:46 pm

I have one of Webfoot's log books, brand new. I came across it a while back. It made me think about him and his generosity.
Scott Baker
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Postby GulfCoast » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:36 am

So many ducks, so little time....

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH (2005-2017)
HRCH Tipsy MH
Zsa-Zsa Puppy
Caller1
Duck South Addict

Postby Caller1 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:41 pm

This is my first year in 14 to not write it all down. That what the third baby will do to ya
Sound familiar?
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson
From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.- Karl Marx
YazooValley
Veteran

Postby YazooValley » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:30 pm

I've kept one since 2007. Wish I had started earlier
tobydawg
Veteran

Postby tobydawg » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:31 am

I started one in 06-07 and was pretty detailed at first but by 2010 it evolved into a spreadsheet form within info similar to what FoldedUp mentioned above. I don't keep notes, as the "who", "where", "when", and bird details are all I need to jog my memory. My only regret is that I didn't start sooner. I plan on starting one for my boy when he gets old enough to go so that he will have it to look back on and hopefully someday start filling it in himself.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”