ask DS>20 gauge for hunting ducks

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Re: ask DS>20 gauge for hunting ducks

Postby teul2 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:14 am

Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:17 pm

http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
hntrpat1
Duck South Addict

Postby hntrpat1 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:33 pm

My boy killed 72 ducks with his 410 last year. It's all about getting em close and knowing how to shoot. He got the sa-08 20 for his birthday so I reckon he's gonna kill a lot more now
Click
Duck South Addict

Postby Click » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:13 pm

I hunt doves only with a 20 and quite regularly duck hunt with a 20.
DuckBoat
Veteran

Postby DuckBoat » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:04 pm

I am just glad to see other people that realize you don't have to shoot 12 ga 3.5" shells to kill a duck.
DuckBoat
Veteran

Postby DuckBoat » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:07 pm

hntrpat1
Duck South Addict

Postby hntrpat1 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:11 am

Just turned 11
duramax
Duck South Addict

Postby duramax » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:12 pm

Support the Fair Tax!

"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:00 am

.............and then the 'fight' started........ :mrgreen:

Let the games begin!!
"I'd like to be remembered among my closest waterfowling friends (if I am remembered at all) for how I hunted them - not how many I killed" - [Jay Strangis]
crackhead
Duck South Addict

Postby crackhead » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:55 pm

When it come's to duck calling and duck killing its the indian not the arrow!
7ducks
Veteran

Postby 7ducks » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:59 pm

A duck call is one of the best conservation tools ever invented
BR549
Duck South Addict

Postby BR549 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:46 pm

7ducks
Veteran

Postby 7ducks » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:48 pm

The .410: What Good Is It?

By Randy Wakeman

That's a tough one to answer. My first shotgun was a .410 bore, a bolt action Mossberg given to me at the age of five years. I shot a .410 shotgun before I had a BB gun, and it was bigger than I was. I carried it to the dove field, but my Dad ended up carrying it back to the car most of the time. Actually, make that all of the time.

I have no idea who originally developed the .410, which is a caliber, not a gauge. If it were a "gauge, it would be something approximating a 67 gauge. It is used to introduce younger shooters to the sport with its low recoil and by expert skeet shooters, but it really doesn't belong in the game fields at all.

Originally available as a 2" shell, then 2-1/2", and later 3", it patterns so dismally that it is best left in the venue that keeps it alive: the skeet field. There it serves as a method of increasing the challenge of the game. Early on, the .410 was considered a "taxidermist's shotgun," as the pellet count was so low the possibility of severely damaging a mount was decreased.

The .410 makes limited sense in certain states where rabbit and squirrel cannot be hunted with rimfire rifles and handguns, but with its dismal pattern and high cost per shot it is neither practical nor particularly effective. In comparing the National Skeet Shooting Association scores, you might be surprised how close the top shooters do in 20 gauge class vs. 12 gauge, with 28 gauge not all that far back. Only when you examine the .410 bore scores do you see a rift developing across the classes. It is the worst performing commonly available shotgun gauge/caliber that can be had, and a horrible crippler of game if not used within its severe limitations.

If it goes bang and is fun to shoot, I generally like it. For clay games, if a .410 is your choice, then so be it. What is bad is when it is promoted as "ideal" for the new shooter or hunter. It can be a needless source of cost and frustration, particularly when low recoil 20 gauge loads, and soft-shooting 20 gauge shotguns are so readily available. Breaking clays and bagging birds builds confidence, is enjoyable, and breeds enthusiasm. Missing is just no fun, and there is certainly no glory--only shame--in wounding game.

A fairly common trivia question is "What has the biggest pattern at 30 yards, a 12 gauge or a .410 bore?" Actually, the .410 does, because its pattern is spread by a much higher percentage of deformed shot diverging from the main pattern. But, it does not have the larger effective pattern. The 1/2 or 11/16 ounce shot mass of the .410 cannot possibly populate a pattern with as effective a density as a standard 1-1/8 ounce 12 gauge field load.

For clays games, or trying to spend the most money per ounce on lead as possible, the .410 has its place. As a pleasant introduction to shotgunning, it fails miserably compared to 28 gauge or light 20 gauge loads. The .410 can be a nasty prank to play on your son or daughter. On the other hand, if you have to buy the shells, the last laugh may be on you!
A duck call is one of the best conservation tools ever invented
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:03 pm

Sounds like Randy Wakeman has a down right hate of the 410 based on a bad experience. While obviously the 410 can not compete in pattern density compared to a 12ga, I don't feel the limitations are as sevier as he leads you to believe.
Just my $0.02
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:23 am

The term 'Killing power" is the cog in this wheel. Even adding the word 'effective' (killing power) leaves too many open ends. Too many variables based on field conditions, and shooter capabilities and unbiased reality. Thus not worthy of debate (to me).

If you're talking about ducks - I agree with Nash Buckingham - don't take boy to do a man's job. I've crippled enough birds with a 12ga to know I don't need to go 'down' a gauge under normal conditions. Ai think that's the biggest unknown in all the comments thus far.

If a person feels confident in a sub-gauge and/or wants to take kids that are too young to hold a gun up (any gun), yet - before development of 'sound' wingshooting skills - that's their business and responsibility. Happy Hunting!
"I'd like to be remembered among my closest waterfowling friends (if I am remembered at all) for how I hunted them - not how many I killed" - [Jay Strangis]

Return to “General Discussion Forum”