Croom punishes players by taking jersey numbers

If it's sports related, it goes here! Try not to get your feelings hurt; it's all in fun.

Moderator: Sports Forum Mods

webfoot
Duck South Addict

Croom punishes players by taking jersey numbers

Postby webfoot » Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:46 pm

STARKVILLE, Miss. (AP) -- Call it Sylvester Croom's version of a numbers game at Mississippi State.

Some Bulldogs players began spring practice Monday wearing jerseys without uniform numbers after Croom said they didn't work hard enough during the team's offseason conditioning program.

"Some guys haven't earned their numbers," Croom said. "If they don't work hard, some guys might not get their numbers back this fall."
:lol:
"We face the question whether a still higher standard of living is worth its costs in things natural, wild, and free." - Aldo Leopold
bigwater
Duck South Addict

Postby bigwater » Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:36 am

billy brewer ol um coach... he tried the same stunt back in the early 80's.. just a little twist to this one... when um opened the season there was a lot of hype being place on the offense... in a motivational ploy, Brewer decided to not have the names of the players on defense placed on the jerseys... he said they'd have to earn their names being placed on the back of UM's jersey's..

so how did it work.. like chit.... they lost a bunch of games especailly early in the year by scores of like 13-10, 17-14, 14-3..

their offense wasn't carrying their load while the no name defense wuz pullin there weight for sure...
"Ya ever work beef Billy?"
webbmaster
Duck South Addict

Postby webbmaster » Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:45 am

Pssst, bigdumber.....he's pulling off the NUMBERS, not names on the jerseys.

Keep up.

But I can see your comparison is similar in some aspects. Croom is adopting a similar tradition to that of Brewer. I guess when your schools ONLY tradition is the ringing of cowbells, its only natural of Croom to find something that might actually motivate the players. God knows they need it.
Po Monkey Lounger
Duck South Addict

Postby Po Monkey Lounger » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:26 pm

Yep, as opposed to a box of Tide and a roll of TP ---now THAT is motivational :shock: :lol:

Now King Jackie could not have taken away their numbers ----- that was the only way Jackie could remember who they were ----- "ol number 22 has an ankle" :lol: :lol:
Don Miller
Duck South Addict

Postby Don Miller » Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:20 pm

[quote="Po Monkey Lounger"]Yep, as opposed to a box of Tide and a roll of TP ---now THAT is motivational :shock: :lol:
LMAO :lol: ROLL TIDE ROLL :lol: :lol: :lol:
Every time I here that I think of that old toothless feller in overalls and short tie that you would always see on TV holding up a Tide box betwixed two rolls of TP on a stick. :lol:
"I'd still like to stick that shotgun up a mallard's as$ and pull the trigger!"---FRITZ RUESEWALD @ 93 years old...(The Arkansas Duck Hunter's Almanac, pg.91)

Return to “Sports Forum”