LSU gets smoked again...

If it's sports related, it goes here! Try not to get your feelings hurt; it's all in fun.

Moderator: Sports Forum Mods

Greenhead22
Duck South Addict

LSU gets smoked again...

Postby Greenhead22 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:23 pm

What's this I hear about the great LSU losing to rinky dink Houston last weekend in baseball? :lol: I thought LSU was going to go undefeated this season under smoke with all that firepower y'all got. :lol:
Last edited by Greenhead22 on Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bigwater
Duck South Addict

Postby bigwater » Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:54 pm

:lol: :lol:
"Ya ever work beef Billy?"
Bourbon
Duck South Addict

Postby Bourbon » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:03 pm

Yeah,

We lost 2 to 1 Friday night, but swept the doubleheader on Sunday to take the series. Houston has a pretty good club but has a bad record. Texas is smoking hot right now.

Coach Smoke is still tinkering with the lineup. Really only have 3 position guys in their same position from last year. But loads of pitching and talent. We will definitely be alright come SEC time. If anybody is coming to the Box, let me know, we can do some tailgating. Also might have to make a road trip to Miss State (After my last trip to Oxford, I have sworn to never go back).

How is State looking this year?
GEAUX TIGERS
Greenhead22
Duck South Addict

Postby Greenhead22 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:29 pm

Only played 3 games, won all 3. The lineup is stacked, no real homerun threat other than Corley and Jones. The pitching is our weak spot, they'll have to get by and hope the hitting will carry us.
mudsucker
Duck South Addict

Postby mudsucker » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:59 pm

Long Live the Black Democrat!
GEAUX LSU!
WHO DAT!
DO,DU AND DW!
Greenhead22
Duck South Addict

The Misery Continues....

Postby Greenhead22 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:38 pm

College Sports
Gents smoke LSU
Centenary blows out nationally ranked LSU Tigers
March 3, 2005

Centenary starting pitcher J.C. Biagi (7) delivers the ball Wednesday night against LSU at Fair Grounds Field. (Jim Hudelson/The Times)

By Brian Vernellis

bvernellis@gannett.com

Cynics can take note of Wednesday's LSU-Centenary game at Fair Grounds Field. Sometimes the little guy does emerge victorious.

The Gents have been the little guys to the Tigers' big men in the state for 49 years. LSU was Goliath for the last 22 meetings, including a 15-0 win in 2003 and a two-out ninth-inning rally in 2002 -- but not any more.

The Gents stunned No. 3 LSU, 6-1, dominating from the first inning and riding on the right arm of 5-foot-9 senior J.C. Biagi.

Centenary head coach Ed McCann bounded about the Gents' dugout when right fielder Jonathan Colgin squeezed the final out off Quinn Stewart's bat. McCann's recent days have been emotional ones as his father battles pancreatic cancer in Las Vegas.

The win drew tears from his eyes as he marveled at his team's perseverance and remembered his father. This was a team who lost to NAIA member Loyola in mid-February and beat Michigan State on Saturday.

"This is probably one of the closest teams I've ever coached," McCann said. "To beat LSU in Shreveport is special.

"We are not the most talented or gifted, but we work together. I can't say enough about them."

None may have shown more determination than Biagi. Last year, he tore the labrum in his throwing shoulder requiring surgery.

None of his pitches topped 83 mph against the Tigers, so he simply pitched and set up LSU hitters with precision. He no-hit the Tigers through six innings, holding them to two hits in the complete game victory.

"I'm kind of stunned," Biagi said. "After 49 years we finally got LSU.

"I've got to rely on off-speed stuff and location, instead of the fastball. The faster they swing, the slower I throw. I've got to mix speeds, that's what I have."

The Gents won through the simple facets of the game -- great pitching, solid defense and timely hitting. Even when they did commit an error -- they had three in the game -- they recovered and kept LSU from stringing together runs.

LSU head coach Smoke Laval knew his team was in for a tough game by the second inning.

"I wrote it down in the second inning here," Laval said. "See? Centenary, 7-4. I saw the way (Biagi) was pitching and I could tell. I could tell we would have some problems.

"We were ready. They were just better than us."

David Kiefer's two-out double in the second got the Gents rolling. The double scored a pair of runs and built a 4-0 cushion.

The Gents all but sealed it with Tim Ryan and Justin Darr driving in some insurance runs to make it 6-0 in the fifth.

Most of the 3,805 fans at Fair Grounds Field were there for LSU, but by the bottom of the eighth inning, they began heading for the parking lot.

"You take it in stride," Laval said. "When you've got the right guy out there, this can happen. You try and compete pitch to pitch, game to game. They were the better team."
Jeff
Duck South Addict

Postby Jeff » Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:50 pm

Greenhead22
Duck South Addict

Postby Greenhead22 » Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:04 pm

Greenhead22
Duck South Addict

Postby Greenhead22 » Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:12 pm

And here we go again...... :lol:

UAB 4, LSU 3

BATON ROUGE -- Right fielder Cole Helms' solo home run broke a 3-3 tie in the sixth and starter Randy Mills went seven strong innings as UAB snapped LSU's 15-game home winning streak, 4-3, at Alex Box Stadium on Sunday.

The Tigers (11-3) had won the series with wins on Friday and Saturday, but the Blazers (7-5) salvaged a game with timely hits off of starter Greg Smith, despite being out-hit eight to five.

LSU's last home loss occurred in an 8-0 defeat to Vanderbilt in an SEC series finale on May 16, 2004.

"It's obvious that the guys hitting .240 in the lineup contributed last year," said head coach Smoke Laval. "If they don't get it done, it is going to be a long year. Until they quit fighting it and get through the pressure barrier, we are going to struggle."

Second-ranked LSU hosts top-ranked Tulane beginning at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in the first of two much-anticipated meetings between the teams this season.

Smith (3-1) suffered his first loss of the season, allowing four runs -- two earned -- on four hits and striking out eight, just one shy of his career high. The junior southpaw committed two throwing errors that led to both unearned runs, while two of his three walks crossed home.

Mills (1-0) finished with an impressive line, limiting LSU to three runs on six hits. The junior right-hander fired 104 pitches and registered four strikeouts and only two walks.

Second baseman Clay Harris led the Tigers at the plate, going 2-for-4 with one RBI.

Trailing 1-0 in the third, Ryan Patterson jump started a three-run, two-out rally drilling a double to left to put runners at second and third. Blake Gill then delivered a clutch double the other way into the left field corner, plating J.P. Padron and Patterson.

Clay Harris added an RBI single in the frame, giving LSU a 3-1 advantage after three innings of play.

In the fifth, Smith's two walks and his second throwing error of aided UAB. Smith fielded a routine groundball off Ryan Metcalf's bat and fired down to first, pulling Will Harris off of the bag. Two batters later, Dan Stucky continued his series success with a two-run single into right field.

Helms then ed his leadoff solo homer in the sixth to give UAB only its second lead of the series.

Smith left two batters later, giving way to freshman reliever Eric English.

UAB's ninth error of the series presented the Tigers with a serious scoring threat in the seventh. Derek Hebert reached on a fielding error by the shortstop Metcalf. Two batters later, Bruce Sprowl drew a walk, giving Patterson a chance to drive in another two-out run with a timely hit. But Mills forced a fielder's choice groundball to end the frame.

Reliever Eric Roberts picked up where Mills left, silencing the LSU bats in the eighth and ninth. Roberts surrendered a pinch-hit single to Michael Hollander to start the ninth, but Hebert's pop-out bunt failed to advance the runners.

Roberts recorded the final two outs with a pop fly and groundout to preserve his first save of the season.
Jeff
Duck South Addict

Postby Jeff » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:00 am

Bourbon
Duck South Addict

Postby Bourbon » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:04 am

GEAUX TIGERS
Jeff
Duck South Addict

Postby Jeff » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:49 pm

Greenhead22
Duck South Addict

Postby Greenhead22 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:43 pm

Now Tulane's jumped on the beatdown bandwagon, 6-2 winners tonight. I guess I'll let y'all off easy this time cuz Tulane is #1 in the nation. :lol:

Return to “Sports Forum”