Last Chance U

If it's sports related, it goes here! Try not to get your feelings hurt; it's all in fun.

Moderator: Sports Forum Mods

pondman
Duck South Addict

Last Chance U

Postby pondman » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:19 am

Anybody been watching "Last Chance U" on Netflix?

Pond
"That's the one trouble with this country: everything, weather, all, hangs on to long. Like our rivers, our land: opaque, slow, violent; shaping and creating the life of man in its implacable and brooding image." William Faulkner
ufgators68
Veteran

Re: Last Chance U

Postby ufgators68 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:10 am

Yeah. I binge watched the whole thing. Pretty cool look at the inside of a college football program.

The compliance chick is pretty easy on the eyes.
bustercat64
Veteran

Postby bustercat64 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:11 am

I watched it in a couple of sittings. I went to EMCC and was on the football team in the late 90's. I felt that it was close to real life as it could have been. I know that things have changed but that was the mentality of some when I was playing. I know that we used bad language but I hope it was not as bad as the show was. I saw somewhere this week were Coach Woods was made Head Coach in waiting for what ever that is worth. One thing that I was left wondering was that Coach Stephens did not come across as a Coach that was approachable by the players. I come form a coaching family and at every level and that is all except the pros each head coach was there for the players if they were struggling. I cant think of the lady name that was the adviser to the players but she might be the most important piece of the puzzle. I have nothing but great things to say about the facility and staff. They changed me and if it was not for the professors there I would have never finished college.
mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Postby mshunter77 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:12 am

Watched through part of episode 4 so far. Pretty interesting stuff. John Franklin III seems like a douche canoe and crappy team mate.
bigwater
Duck South Addict

Postby bigwater » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:35 am

Buddy Stephens the head coach has little to no class at all
"Ya ever work beef Billy?"
pondman
Duck South Addict

Postby pondman » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:26 am

I finished it last night. I thought it was interesting. Last season's events were portrayed very differently in the media versus in the TV series. No doubt Stephens is a hot-head, but when a ref swings at you its hard to sit there and take that. That and he warned the refs what would happen at the MDCC game. However, its no excuse for a bench clearing brawl.

As for the "eligibility counselor" I hope the athletic department is supplementing her salary -- she keeps that place going.

What was most interesting to me was the story behind the players and the struggles they faced and how they handled them. For example, I don't think Ollie really enjoys football. He sees the team as the family he never had and a way out of his situation, but actually playing football is not something that he looks forward to.

I know we have some former EMCC players on the board and I wanted to hear there thoughts.

Pond
"That's the one trouble with this country: everything, weather, all, hangs on to long. Like our rivers, our land: opaque, slow, violent; shaping and creating the life of man in its implacable and brooding image." William Faulkner
matador1
Duck South Addict

Postby matador1 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:02 am

Got the first 4 episodes watched last night. Here's my take and of course only my opinion.

It sucks that they have to hire someone to babysit these guys and get them through school to the point of reminding them to take pencil to class.

It sucks that some (most) of them come from such terrible households that they have to be reminded to bring a pencil to class

It sucks that most of them can't see past Thursday night and realize that the chances of them making it to the pros is slim to none

It sucks that Ollie went home to Shubuta to see his old teammate wearing a hi-vis vest working in construction at minimum wage I'm sure and can't realize what an opportunity he has been given

It sucks that EMCC and all the other JCs use the system to recruit screw up D1 potentials to build power house programs when there are tons of decent athletes like Wyatt Roberts who would run through a brick wall to continue playing ball at a JC level for couple of years.

I could go on an on but even though this is an eye opener it is one of the best documentaries ever.
Your resident mortgage loan officer. You've got a friend in the business. http://www.adamblack.net
eSJay
Duck South Addict

Postby eSJay » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:28 pm

I watched all six episodes in a couple of days. Pretty interesting stuff that some people had no clue about. I personally think it gave Scooba Tech & MS a black eye. The language was uncalled for by the coaching staff as well as the kids.
Also; I'm not all fired up that JF3 is now on our roster. The fact that he couldn't beat out the local country boy for the starting job speaks volumes. He's quick on his feet for sure, but pretty one dimensional beyond that. At least that's the way he was portrayed in the documentary.
"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:34 am

I thought the same things as above. Not impressed with the language at all. I am sure coach will be proud when his daughters watch the show.
matador1
Duck South Addict

Postby matador1 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:02 am

Your resident mortgage loan officer. You've got a friend in the business. http://www.adamblack.net
JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:49 am

I am sure his top priority is winning, but.......that's a problem in and of itself. It seemed like he turned up the language for the cameras. It was obvious that he was enjoying the attention.
bucks n beaks
Veteran

Postby bucks n beaks » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:48 am

Read yesterday that they are making a season 2 for this season. Wonder how good they will be.
Gunslinger
Veteran

Postby Gunslinger » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:15 am

I grew up in that little town, just off campus. My family's store is one of the few buildings left standing on main street...the one with the functioning coke machine out front. I was a "ball boy" on the sideline when it was EMJC, not EMCC. I rode my 3 wheeler through campus on a regular basis...yes 3, not 4. I recognize almost every scene in the film. I even attended EMCC my first year of college. It's funny how they never show the "better side" of the town, if there is such a thing. I'd be ok if I never set foot in Scooba again, like a lot of the players, but the film purposely shows just the rundown houses and side of town. I, like most, was offended by the profanity used by the coach. I'd say the film wasn't worth watching, if I hadn't grown up there. They almost showed my childhood home in one scene, but it wouldn't have fit the agenda. I still travel through there often hunting family land. It's obvious the football team has contributed greatly to the life of that community college and small town.

Return to “Sports Forum”