Jeffery Simmons

If it's sports related, it goes here! Try not to get your feelings hurt; it's all in fun.

Moderator: Sports Forum Mods

sab316
Veteran

Jeffery Simmons

Postby sab316 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:21 am

Since it hasn't been brought up, I figured I would. If you don't know who he is, he is a 5 star DE that signed with State in February. In March a video came out of a fight between two girls, and about half way through him getting into the fight and whipping up on some big ole gal.

State has issued his punishment in the case and suspended him for the South Alabama game (Oh lordy) and he has to go through some counseling. He didn't knock her ass out like Ray Rice, but he threw several punches while she was on the ground with another girl on top of her.

I think the punishment is WAY too light. Just suspended for the South Alabama game? Really? The same punishment as a targeting call. Maybe if he would have hit her with a loaner car or a stack of cash he'd sit out for half the season.

Video (WARNING: its a little loud, may wanna turn down your volume) -
davidees
Duck South Addict

Re: Jeffery Simmons

Postby davidees » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:03 am

We ain't studyin' foosball right now
mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Postby mshunter77 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:18 am

I also thought the punishment was a little light but it is Mullens decision and if it comes back to bite him he will have to pay for it.
hillhunter
Duck South Addict

Postby hillhunter » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:20 pm

I'm not saying what he did was right or defending it at all.....

He wasn't at state when he did it. He wasn't even enrolled yet. Not sure Dan has much of a case to be the one handing out punishment on this one. I'm not gonna get into all the "second chances" that schools give kids, you know when a kid gets kicked off one team for assaulting coaches then goes to juco for a year and then oh we need a QB so let's overlook his past....

Or when kids in general are dismissed from other schools for "violating team rules" which may or may not be specified and they just happen to fit a need at a school, then what do you know, everyone forgets about it if he's a good enough DE, OL, WR, etc.... They just know he can play. And then someone runs a pregame story about how he's learned his lesson, or he just had a hard time growing up, etc..... Who cares? Really? Schools don't sign hard luck cases for the heck of it, the sign them cause they are good football players.

I'm not gonna get into any of the cultural issues that come to mind on this one.... Just not gonna.

The sooner everyone realizes that we aren't recruiting choir boys to play at our schools the better off we will all be. I do expect them to handle themselves accordingly when on campus or representing the university, but I would go out on a limb and say 10-20% of every one of the high profile recruits have been in similar circumstances, it just wasn't recorded on a smartphone.

That said if he does it again, the school will most definitely have to answer for it and it won't be pretty for MSU for a PR standpoint. I can tell you what they weren't going to do though, and that's this.... They weren't going to release him just so he could go down the road to OM, AU, AL, etc and have to play against him for the next three years. And if you think that wasn't possible then you need to get your head out of the sand.
work hard, play hard
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:31 pm

I'm not exactly thrilled about it. Most of all, though, it's just bad timing for MSU, what with the Baylor stuff and all.

Anybody think Ed Orgeron's were love taps? http://articles.philly.com/2004-12-18/s ... ed-orgeron

Guess if this had been caught on camera, it'd have been a bigger deal? Thank goodness... Where did he end up?
http://www.aol.com/article/2014/10/13/r ... e_facebook

LSU sports radio is so quick to forget about this one. Didn't get caught on camera, so the poor girl MUST have been lying...
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... /10321809/

Jeremy Hill's did get caught on camera, but it was just an utterly stuporous drunk guy that he blindsided, so no big deal. He was on probation for some other stuff at the time. Anyone remember that getting much air time?
http://www.wafb.com/story/16462803/form ... ser-charge
Last edited by stang67 on Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greenhead22
Duck South Addict

Postby Greenhead22 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:01 am

If we'd let his kid go, one of two things would've occurred.

Another SEC team (UM, LSU, BAMA) would've signed him and got him back on track, thus in turn tormenting us for the next four yrs we played against him

Or two, he would've ended up on the streets and not done anything with his life over a ghetto fight.
Po Monkey Lounger
Duck South Addict

Postby Po Monkey Lounger » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:18 pm

MSU be in the heppin' business too. :wink:

Come on in boys, the water is fine.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RDXJ6duyQ_A
You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.

Return to “Sports Forum”