College baseball

If it's sports related, it goes here! Try not to get your feelings hurt; it's all in fun.

Moderator: Sports Forum Mods

pondman
Duck South Addict

College baseball

Postby pondman » Tue May 17, 2016 9:29 am

We have three D1 teams in the state in the top 15, two of which are in the top 10 and fighting for Regional host sites. Delta State is headed to a regional after the winning the Gulf South Conference and not a word about baseball.

Let hear some thoughts:
Does DSU win their regional?
Does USM win out and host?
Who wins the SEC?
Do both OM and MSU get national seeds?
Does OM win the series against TA&M?

Pond
"That's the one trouble with this country: everything, weather, all, hangs on to long. Like our rivers, our land: opaque, slow, violent; shaping and creating the life of man in its implacable and brooding image." William Faulkner
bustercat64
Veteran

Re: College baseball

Postby bustercat64 » Tue May 17, 2016 10:29 am

DSU I think is peaking at the best time and it seems to playing its best ball now. I think they have a good shot at winning but it will be hard because of the way things set up. They will have to play the #1 seed if they win their first game and the #1 is getting a by in the first round.

I dont see USM hosting.

If MSU keeps going they will be a national seed and if OM wins series this weekend and I hope they do they will be a host site. Unless Bernie Thompson has his way.
mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Postby mshunter77 » Tue May 17, 2016 11:03 am

What an amazing year for the SEC. I think many teams deserve a national seed and even more to host but I am sure not all that are deserving will be rewarded. I know the SEC is always strong in baseball but this has to be the best year by far.
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Tue May 17, 2016 1:18 pm

Stacked is the only word that can be used to describe the league this year. It would take everything happening just so so, but I'd say MSU has the best chance of everyone going into the final weekend of winning the SEC outright.

MSU needs to win 1 more game than both TAMU and UF. Judging by the three teams' opponents, the odds favor this happening. The problem is, it's baseball. If the same TAMU team shows up to play Ole Miss that showed up to play MSU, I believe they win the SEC. State just needs to play solid consistently and they'll get the sweep. I don't think Florida sweeps LSU.

My prediction lies between TAMU and MSU winning it, depending on how TAMU shows up against Ole Miss. Never thought I'd say this, but go Rebs.

EDIT: And yes, I know that USC, UM, and LSU still have outside shots to win it, but that would take a miracle.

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
eSJay
Duck South Addict

Postby eSJay » Tue May 17, 2016 1:42 pm

sucks to have to pull for your rival!
"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Tue May 17, 2016 3:44 pm

LSU is State's real rival*
Greenhead22
Duck South Addict

Postby Greenhead22 » Wed May 18, 2016 11:50 am

msudawg8087
Duck South Addict

Postby msudawg8087 » Thu May 19, 2016 7:04 am

Definitely one of the best college baseball years for MS in a while. The big 3 all have a chance of hosting a regional if they finish strong. Guy on the radio put it in perspective yesterday morning by saying the state of MS could have 3 regional hosts while states like TX, FL, etc. won't have that many.

I do and don't agree with you GH22. I agree we should have played better during SBW and the first few Sundays where we served up W's on a silver platter because of starting pitching woes but I don't mind rooting for OM and whoever else for one game so that we can be rewarded for all the games we did win. Have played really well so far against some great teams. Looking forward to seeing what State can do from here on out. The season has just begun!
SHERMANATOR
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Fri May 20, 2016 8:37 pm

Well, looks like I was pretty accurate and TAMU showed up to play. They're not playing the same level MSU saw but they're going to be tough to beat tomorrow.
JaMak84
Duck South Addict

Postby JaMak84 » Sat May 21, 2016 3:41 pm

Statesmen sitting in the driver's seat after a first game win over Lynn University and defeated host and No. 1 seed Tampa yesterday. They face No. 3 seed Nova Southeastern tonight at 7.
deltadukman: "We may not agree on everything, but we all like t!tties"
davidees
Duck South Addict

Postby davidees » Sat May 21, 2016 8:25 pm

State wins the SEC.
JaMak84
Duck South Addict

Postby JaMak84 » Sun May 22, 2016 7:29 pm

Statesmen bounce back after yesterday's loss to Nova SE by eliminating West Georgia today. They'll have to beat Nova twice tomorrow to advance to CWS.
JaMak84
Duck South Addict

Postby JaMak84 » Mon May 23, 2016 4:52 pm

After defeating Nova SE 3-1 to force a game 2, the statesmen's season comes to a close loosing in the championship game 3-1. All in all, a much better year than what was expected. Another conference tournament title and regional runner up after not being in the pre-season top 25 is an exceptional year in my opinion.
bigwater
Duck South Addict

Postby bigwater » Mon May 23, 2016 10:00 pm

Respect
"Ya ever work beef Billy?"
donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Tue May 24, 2016 10:10 am

i'm sure you've heard cohen's comment @ boo farris banquet when asked why we don't schedule Delta state: "..because they can beat us..like they did when i was playing in the 80's!"
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...

Return to “Sports Forum”