Mullen wants out of startsville

If it's sports related, it goes here! Try not to get your feelings hurt; it's all in fun.

Moderator: Sports Forum Mods

stang67
Duck South Addict

Re: Mullen wants out of startsville

Postby stang67 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:20 am

I think a lot of this has been blown out of proportion, as the Interwebs tends to do. No, he doesn't deserve a raise. I expect him to go far a situation he feels is a step up, like UGA.
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:22 am

NUTMEG
Duck South Addict

Postby NUTMEG » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:52 am

Lots of people think these coaches should be loyal to their school and not look at other opportunities. They get mad if their coach wants to interview at another school and says lets just get rid of them. But look how loyal these same fans are to the coaches (Ex: Mark Ritch, Les Miles) The same State fan that says Mullen should not be looking at other schools are the same ones that will want him fired if he goes 5-7 next year.

I am a Rebel and I think Mullen is a good coach. He develops talent as well as anyone in the Nation. As I have always said if your a Ms State or Ole Miss fan and you get mad about an 8-4 season then you are either young and cant remember all the years the Egg Bowl was played hoping your team would get to 6 wins and go to a bowl, a bandwagon fan that jumped on board for the last couple of years or delusional.

One last thing, you have to remember these are JOBS for these coaches. How may of you guys wouldn't interview for another job if you thought you might be losing yours in a year, make more money or have better working conditions?
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:11 am

Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:14 am

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:30 am

I agree Nutmeg. One thing that I got to thinking is Mullen is highly paid CFB coach with 3 years left in his contract. Yes, Miami and Maryland CAN afford to pay him more, but will they? And if so, how much more? $4.3 mil a year goes a lot further in MS that Maryland or Miami for the coach as well. The whole coaching shuffle at the end of the year has me flabbergasted. The firing of Richt and potential firing of miles makes my head hurt. For the most part Mullen has our team under control, you dont see those guys in the news a whole lot causing a stir or NCAA investigations, winning seasons, bowl games, ranked #1 in the polls last year for a good while. That sits pretty well with me. You cant have all SEC teams be national champs every year. There are a lot more factors than just a coach. Available talent is one. Both MS teams(yes 2 SEC west teams in the same state) crunched between Alabama, LSU, Arkansas, and a host of pretty good D2 and JUCO teams(MSGCCC is the best JUCO team in the nation I believe) doesnt bode well for either team. You dont go from the Sherrill days to Alabama overnight, if ever. I'd almost put moeny on neither Ole Miss or MS State not winning a national championship in any of our lifetimes. Its just the way it is and a lot of fans have unreal expectations. What Mullen has done to the program and the fan base in general is a lot more than people give him credit for. Same goes for Freeze at Ole Miss. Now Mullens coaching staff could use a re-shuffle if you ask me, but thats another topic.
fireplug
Duck South Addict

Postby fireplug » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:14 am

How do you like your Hope and Change?
JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:00 pm

Here's the fix.....and we can use our spare time talking about important things like hunting. Put a 120,000 seat stadium up around Canton for the University of Ms Bulldogs (this fixes the Reb's current state of confusion). Pick two colors from the rainbow, cause colors don't matter when you are kicking other teams teeth down their throat. Pick the best coach in the world and pay him about $10mil a year. Turn the old campuses into museums for the few that might complain to go and visit. Problem solved!
bigoak
Duck South Addict

Postby bigoak » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:08 pm

Have no problem with him listening to what other schools have to say. I do have a problem with him slacking on his job at MSU at the same time. The team was not prepared for the egg bowl. It appears that he has lost his fire and is no longer interested in coaching. We are coming off a 10 win season and about to go to a 6th straight bowl and he can't get any top talent interested in coming to state?? Talk to other schools if you want but state is the school paying you $4 million so do your job.
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:08 pm

JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:14 pm

Point made, but I could figure it out......

Return to “Sports Forum”