Team Updates 2015

If it's sports related, it goes here! Try not to get your feelings hurt; it's all in fun.

Moderator: Sports Forum Mods

Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Team Updates 2015

Postby Deltamud77 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:48 am

In an effort to promote some chatter on here, how about we give some brief updates on our schools of choice relative to QB battles, injuries, reports, etc., since most of us only concentrate on our own schools. I'd love to know, for instance, how Bama's QB battle is going, or Ole Miss's QB battles, etc.

LSU:

- The reports after the first week of practice are that Brandon Harris appears to be the starting QB. He is taking the first team reps every day and (according to some reporters) appears to be separating himself from Anthony Jennings. There are (knock on wood) no major injuries to report that they have released anyway.

- LSU appears to be pretty thin on the DL. It also appears that they will possibly be starting a true freshman at one of the corners. That is a cause for great concern IMO.

- LSU will possibly start or play extensively a true freshman (Arden Key) at defensive end as well.

- My conclusions at this point...no different than the prediction thread...LSU is going to struggle to win games this year.
Greenhead22
Duck South Addict

Re: Team Updates 2015

Postby Greenhead22 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:18 am

And to think just two days ago I got blasted on Twitter for saying that LSU would be lucky to go 7-5. :lol:
camlock
Duck South Sponsor

Postby camlock » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:24 am

LSU might not be in serious contention, or control their own destiny, for a championship by Nov 15 or 21...but they aren't gonna "struggle" to win games and they will win their share and mess up some seasons for opponents. They are way too talented both on the field and within the coaching staff and they have a serious home field advantage...

Plus, you are ALWAYS overly pessimistic as a Tiger fan :) ....definitely the most pessimistic of any I read or speak to regularly.
davidees
Duck South Addict

Postby davidees » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:05 am

MSU has 3 good QB's. That's not something we've been able to say much over the years.
mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Postby mshunter77 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:24 am

Well Bama is loaded on the front 7, could be best in country overall. Still concerns at corner but reports are that Tony Brown has progressed nicely that would give them two solid corners which is more than can be said for past two years. Also Saban and Kirby Smart met with the OSU offensive coordinator from last year to get insight on how he attacked the defense and what he saw when looking at them. Plenty of talent at WR but not much experience. OL should be solid as well as RB. Guessing Coker will be the starter but he has been pushed by David Cornwell who by most accounts could be the best QB they have had in the Saban era.
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:14 pm

eSJay
Duck South Addict

Postby eSJay » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:17 pm

AU
I despise all the pre-season hype we are getting! I'd much rather fly under the radar, but I understand where the hype is coming from. Obviously, staying healthy is key.

QB) The coaching staff is very excited about Jeremy Johnson. He might be the best passer that CGM has coached. He is also the only QB that CGM has had in his system for 3 years in a row. We all keep hearing that Johnson doesn't have the speed that Marshall had and he isn't the RB that Cam was. That's okay because he doesn’t have to run. And, he probably won’t, at least not to the level that we saw with the two aforementioned QB’s. We will see more read option than people think. Johnson is a true pocket passer with all the tools. He looks off the secondary. He checks down. He uses the whole field. He steps up into the pocket and delivers the ball. And, most importantly, he is scary accurate. The back-up QB, White is solid, but new & untested.

Backfield / WR Corps) Johnson has a very talented backfield top to bottom as well as a high-potential WR corps. All the PR in the off season has been about throwing the ball, but the staff thinks this is the best set of RB's they've had at Auburn. They think we will beat the rushing numbers from the past two seasons, and it may not be that close. We have great receivers, including arguably one of the best WR in the country in “Duke”. He “struggles” off the field, so I’m hoping he can keep it together. If not, we still have superb talent in that area.

DE) True Freshman Byron Cowart is big, really BIG, and quick, very quick. He could be the best DE we've seen at Auburn in a very long time if he plays to his potential. Lawson is fully recovered and ready to go. He didn't lose any quickness and he is bigger and stronger. Pass rush should not be a problem for us with these two guys on the field. This was non-existent on the plains last season.

Defensively we have question marks, but I don’t think they are huge question marks. The strengths of the defense are LB, DE and Safety. IF Muschamp does what we all think he will, CGM will have the luxury of being able to throw it 30 times a game without worrying about time management or 3-and-outs. I think we can score lots of points, so again, if the defense is solid, there aren’t many teams that can out score the Tigers from Opelika, and that's what it'll take IMO.

We play a tough schedule with road games @Ark, @TAMU, @LSU. IMO the toughest game road game is @Arkansas. The month of September will be interesting though with Louisville, @LSU and MSU. We have to get out of Sept. undefeated to have any shot at being in any type of championship game.

25 days & counting!

I agree - DM77 is by far the most pessimistic "Tigah" fan I've ever encountered.....period!
"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
camlock
Duck South Sponsor

Postby camlock » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:47 am

mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Postby mshunter77 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:46 am

Update on Bama QB situation. Coker is showing he has all the physical talent to be one of the better QBs in the country and even an NFL caliber arm but is just not clicking mentally. Still seems hesitant and gun shy, not making quick reads and decisions. That does not translate well for success when he will be facing some nasty DLs in the SEC.
camlock
Duck South Sponsor

Postby camlock » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:52 am

camlock
Duck South Sponsor

Postby camlock » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:53 am

stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:06 pm

Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:31 pm

Esjay, what is the deal with Duke Williams? Heard that he has left the team, but that is not confirmed.

I cannot comment with any degree of enlightenment about Ole Miss, but I can tell you what I expect of them. I think that they will be in contention for the West in late November. They arguably have more talent in their starters than any team outside of Alabama. (four, maybe five, first rounds draft picks) If their O-line can stay healthy, they are going to ruin a lot of days for non-Ole Miss fans.

The problem for OM is that they play at Alabama. I think they can play with Bama, and on a neutral site, beat Bama...but it will be hard to beat them at home (plus the refs :D ).

Cam, everyone is worried about the QB situation at LSU. I am too. However, I am more worried about severe lack of depth at LB and DL. It Beckwith or any of the DL get injured, LSU is in real trouble.

If LSU sucks, I hope somehow the stars align and Chip Kelly gets fired at Philly. Maybe Chip will show up on the Bayou. A boy can dream at least. :D
camlock
Duck South Sponsor

Postby camlock » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:02 pm

eSJay
Duck South Addict

Postby eSJay » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:44 pm

"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham

Return to “Sports Forum”