Team Updates 2015

If it's sports related, it goes here! Try not to get your feelings hurt; it's all in fun.

Moderator: Sports Forum Mods

eSJay
Duck South Addict

Re: Team Updates 2015

Postby eSJay » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:44 pm

"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
sab316
Veteran

Postby sab316 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:51 pm

I think from a personal standpoint that Ole Miss has the best D-Line in the country, and has the best WR group in the country. I think the defense will be better overall compared to last year. Our corners are better than last year, and thats with losing an All-American corner in Golson. DB's are deep enough to move Mike Hilton, a really good corner into the safety position. D-line is deep enough to move your best pass rushing DE back into the MLB position.

I think O-line of course will be where we get hurt. Our RB's are bigger and established, Walton the obvious starter, with Wilkins and Judd being the big backs. We lost Mathers and Dodson and have no immediate fall off. Our Freshman RB was pushing for playing time, but is out with a season ending stress fracture. With a WR group like Treadwell, Stringfellow, Engram, Adda-boy-Joe, Pack, Core, and incoming freshmen Van Jefferson and DeMarcus Lodge could even see playing time. That is an insanely stacked WR group.

I think Machine Gun Swaggy C will win the QB job, mostly because of his down field throws with decent mobility.

Only injury I know of from spring practice is the first day Herbert Moore our DT tore his ACL.
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:29 am

camlock
Duck South Sponsor

Postby camlock » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:49 am

Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:15 pm

camlock
Duck South Sponsor

Postby camlock » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:31 pm

mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Postby mshunter77 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:21 pm

sab316
Veteran

Postby sab316 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:48 pm

Like was said we'll definitely miss Cody Prewitt. He seemed like one of those guys that ALWAYS made a timely interception, or a big hit. His run support from a safety position was more than we could have ever asked for. But his coverage skills were pretty ehhhh. Just like the Golson INT to seal the win against Alabama. Prewitt had the deep zone, and got smoked on it by the TE. Mike Hilton was called the best player on the entire defense by DC Wommack. He's extremely versatile and knows ever position. He's played CB, husky (hybrid LB / S), both safety positions. I feel completely confident with moving him to FS. Also 3 year starter Trae Elston on the other side with CJ Hampton a promising Sophomore that played good snaps last year and showed alot of promise. While losing a leader like Prewitt isn't ideal, there is more talented people to step into his shoes IMO.

Our OL HAS absolutely HAS to stay healthy. I imagine Javon Patterson a 5* incoming guard will play significant snaps, but we return the most starts from a OL in the SEC. We're just so shallow. We have zero depth, and that could be a very serious issue.

TCU game we got flat out $#!+ stomped. I'll be the first to admit it, TCU is a REALLY REALLY REALLY good team. I think they would have $#!+ stomped anyone that day, Ohio State, Alabama, anyone. They were playing lights out. Having a bum QB, a bum OL, then losing arguably the best LT in football, and missing your top 2 WR's to go along with no running game just spelled disaster for us.
mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Postby mshunter77 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:50 am

No doubt the starters on DL are as good as any in the country but not sure they can go as deep as Bama. Treadwell and Engram are a dangerous duo but there are several loaded receiving groups across the country. To say they are the best in country is a bit of a stretch, but probably best/most experienced in SEC. Bama and A&M have a ton of talent here just not experienced we will have to see if it translates. I think Kelly could be a game changer. As others have said the question is the OL and power running game. This is definelty the year that freeze should be able to prove he is the offensive genius we have heard him claimed to be. If Kelly can not turn the ball over they should be able to open up the deep passing game which in turn will help open the run.
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:10 am

It is interesting to me that once again, State is laying in the weeds, getting no chatter and little respect. While they lost starters, they still have a ton of experience coming back. Moreover, they probably have the best QB in the conference. They may have the best receiver in the conference in Wilson. They may have the best defensive lineman in the conference in Chris Jones. They will be formidable in my opinion and will beat some teams that people expect to beat them.

Side topic, in Mississippi and elsewhere, Treadwell and Nkimdiche are thought to be better players and prospects than either Wilson or Jones from State. However, having watched all four play extensively, I think there is a very strong argument that both State players are better football players than either of the Ole Miss players. Moreover, when you strictly look at the numbers, I think one can argue that Treadwell and Nkimdiche have actually under performed relative to their recruiting rankings. Tell me why I am wrong in thinking that.
sab316
Veteran

Postby sab316 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:09 am

mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:23 am

camlock
Duck South Sponsor

Postby camlock » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:19 am

Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:06 pm

Greenhead22
Duck South Addict

Postby Greenhead22 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:51 pm

I won't say that State's WR corp is the best in the league, but I'll put them up against anyone else in the conference. Their two deep chart is STOUT. Jefferson and Jones will hold their own on the DL. The other two will have to step up. The linebackers will be the staple of the defense. The DBs will just have to hold their own and not give up big plays. Everyone thinks that last year's run was a fluke and State will go back to being State. I made this statement last year and got laughed at. "If State runs through LSU, A&M and Auburn, get ready because it's on!" We went into Bama flat and the rest was history. If State steamrolls LSU in week 2 ........ get ready !

Return to “Sports Forum”