Ole Miss fans -- baseball next year

If it's sports related, it goes here! Try not to get your feelings hurt; it's all in fun.

Moderator: Sports Forum Mods

pondman
Duck South Addict

Ole Miss fans -- baseball next year

Postby pondman » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:28 am

Expectations for MSU baseball have been thoroughly discussed. What about OM? Is the fanbase happy with this year's results? What are the expectations going into next year? What will Bianco have to work with?

Pond
"That's the one trouble with this country: everything, weather, all, hangs on to long. Like our rivers, our land: opaque, slow, violent; shaping and creating the life of man in its implacable and brooding image." William Faulkner
SWAG
Duck South Addict

Re: Ole Miss fans -- baseball next year

Postby SWAG » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:05 pm

Interesting just how quiet it has been here and all social media about the Rebels going to a regional. I guess they got the monkey off their back last year finally making it to CWS and the excitement has worn off? As a college baseball fan and a MSU fan, even I went and looked at the Rebels matchups in the regional and looked over the other team's rosters whom the Rebels may play. Was obvious the SP from Maryland was a Friday night guy for any program. Curious as to the lack of conversation and such regarding the Rebels and their NCAA post season opportunity. Was it the one and done in Hoover? The struggles they had during the regular season? MSU failed to make SEC or NCAA tourney. Awful, awful, awful. BUT had the Dogs snuck into either of those even by a coin flip, you would have heard and seen major discussion.

Rebels SS is a top defensive and offensive player. Not familiar enough with their pitchers to know who is coming back. Orvis of course is a kid I like even though he plays for the enemy. Him leaving puts a smile on my MSU face, and I hope he does get drafted as he probably should have last year. Your 3B seems to have improved into a very good ball player although I can not tell you his name or if he will be back. Rebels seemed like a team that played to the level of their opposition this year...beat some really good teams and lost to some bad ones. Without Orvis this year though I feel like UM may have had a record/season mirroring MSU. So their would be definite concern about 2016 if I was an UM fan.
Are we gonna get wet?
camlock
Duck South Sponsor

Postby camlock » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:56 am

I think Ole Miss going home Tuesday morning of SEC tourney...sitting 10 days and being shipped to Los Angeles were they played late games in another timezone just sorta made it easy to miss coverage of it...

Ole Miss should be a much better team this year...they had the key contributors to make a run this year if their youth had grown up faster, but they didn't and they played inconsistent all season. Lot of young talent returning...some all-SEC and maybe all-american caliber guys on that roster.

The 10 days rest after losing first day in Hoover, after finishing the season fairly hot, was kryptonite to this lineup...
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:22 pm

The SEC is all most completely about weekend pitching. If you have two good starters and a decent closer, you are gonna win a lot of series, host a region and maybe even a Super. If you don't, you end up like Ole Miss and State this year.
sab316
Veteran

Postby sab316 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:16 pm

If we had just played UCLA first we would have been alright. Far better win % against the #1 team this year.
Greenhead22
Duck South Addict

Postby Greenhead22 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:14 am

Kaprielian would've no hit Ole Miss. :lol: :lol: :lol:
camlock
Duck South Sponsor

Postby camlock » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:10 pm

camlock
Duck South Sponsor

Postby camlock » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:15 pm

NUTMEG
Duck South Addict

Postby NUTMEG » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:50 pm

Comparing a young Ole Miss team (that still went to a regional) with a Ms State team that after starting 13-0 only won 11 games the rest of the season? Now that's comical!!!!!!
big gumbo
Duck South Addict

Postby big gumbo » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:55 pm

4dawgma
Duck South Addict

Postby 4dawgma » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:38 pm

Where'd who go?
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:12 am

camlock
Duck South Sponsor

Postby camlock » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:06 am

LSU has won many low scoring, close games this year...due to pitching and defense. Can they hit? Sure. Do they always hit? Nope. As a matter of fact, they rarely give Lange run support.[/quote]

The speed with which LSU plays offense and defense is THE reason they are what they are...Alex Lange is a big time arm, outside of that, LSU is probably be best team in the country, and would be regardless with Lange and with nearly any pitching staff in NCAA top 50. LSU has outscored it's opponents 429-215 this season. in 61 games they have only 9 of them were one run and only 21 total were less than 3 run margin. 24 of them they won by 5+

In 2015, with the evolution of the college game as it is, having two good arms is not enough. UCLA won b/c they had an entire pitching staff and an unstoppable small ball speed driven offense, they didn't just win the NC and beat MSU cause they had dominate front end pitching, they played a special brand of baseball from top to bottom and it fit perfectly that year in that tournament and field...specifically in TD Ameritrade and BBCOR still relatively new in the game.

I'm not at all debating the value of dominate front end pitching, I'm just saying that it's not all you need and I'm using the case point that Ole Miss had what you would've considered that level talent had they had another team around them; you just can't see that b/c of what happened around them. You take Christian Trent, Brady Bramlett, and Wyatt Short as two weekend starters and your closer...you put them inside your upper tier speed and offensive clubs and they are WAY better than they finished on a team full of youth and inexperience around them. That's my opinion, it's too subjective to just assume at this level of baseball two starters and a closer makes you a host team in contention for top 8.
Greenhead22
Duck South Addict

Postby Greenhead22 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:16 am

mossyisland
Duck South Addict

Postby mossyisland » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:48 am

Return to “Sports Forum”