So the big question - Freeze and Mullen

If it's sports related, it goes here! Try not to get your feelings hurt; it's all in fun.

Moderator: Sports Forum Mods

lower14
Veteran

So the big question - Freeze and Mullen

Postby lower14 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:21 pm

Where do they go? Neither's stock will ever be higher than it is right now, especially Mullen, but let's face it, UM and MSU are not destination jobs - they are jobs for coordinators on their way up (both Freeze and Mullen) or jobs for HCs on their way down (Nutt / Sherrill).

Mullen apparently has personal reasons not to go to Florida, and the Michigan job seems destined for others. Dare I say it - Mullen to Nebraska? Give them a bit of SEC know-how to compete in the Big Whatevernumbertheyarethisyear? Mullen may stay one more year through Prescott's eligibility, but he's basically run his course in Starkville at this time, and there are some big-time jobs open right now that should be pretty tempting for him.

Freeze is a different discussion, having only spent 3 years in Oxford as opposed to Mullen's six, but it's hard to believe that he'll have the Rebels constantly in contention after losing his QB this year. Like Mullen, his stock will never be higher, but where to go? Florida? Rumor is they've offered him the job, but I dunno. Freeze is interesting being a relatively local boy, he might just hang out at Ole Miss and churn out 8-4 seasons, but he seems ambitious enough to answer the phone if LSU/Georgia came calling.

Anyway, curious as to other thoughts - I think Mullen is gone but Freeze stays - at least for a couple more years.
skywalker
Duck South Addict

Re: So the big question - Freeze and Mullen

Postby skywalker » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:57 pm

Freeze to FL.
Muschamp to AU as DC.
I can see Kirby Smart leaving for an HC job outside the SEC as well, if Bama wins another championship.

Mullen will get out of the SEC as HC.........this was their chance and didn't pan out.
hillhunter
Duck South Addict

Postby hillhunter » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:44 pm

Call me crazy but I say neither one leaves..... Mullen has repeatedly said he likes it here. He can churn out some teams that do this once every ten years and win 6-9 games the rest of the ayers and most fans will be more than happy. They have basically given him this program to run the way he wants it run. I'm not sure other programs, ie Nebraska, Michigan will allow that much leeway or input. Not many administrations are going to like his bluntness, and he is basically the assistant AD here. And I know it sounds corny but they say his wife loves it here.

The expectations would and should be no different for Freeze from a production standpoint. Just say he leaves and goes to FL or another SEC job... Say he fails there for whatever reason and in three years is out. Would he ever be a HC in the SEC again? Doubt it. Fail at one place and nobody really wants you back. Spurrier, Tuberville, and Saban are the only three coaches I can think of who received second chances with any success, and that's because they left on their own terms. SEC schools historically don't like sloppy seconds from other schools as HC, ie Houston Nutt. Also being a local boy, he may want to die here... Who knows.

I think Muschamp lands a great job as a DC and will be a HC again at some point, but if it's in the SEC it will be a while for the sour grapes to wear off. I also think that given the right OC he could have been great at FL.
work hard, play hard
swamprooter
Duck South Addict

Postby swamprooter » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:09 pm

"i aint a mindreader, i am just an elf" Silas Robertson
davidees
Duck South Addict

Postby davidees » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:39 am

Year in, year out, same ol discussion, same result....Both coaches will return next year.
dukluk
Duck South Addict

Postby dukluk » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:38 am

What davidees said....+++++
hatchdaddy
Veteran

Postby hatchdaddy » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:17 am

Let me start by saying I'm a state fan to the core and what I'm about to say may offend some of my state brethren. I was ready for Mullen to leave last year and probably be ready for him to leave next year as i don't see anything coming behind this group of guys. Up until this year he hasn't beaten anyone he wasn't supposed to beat and I feel Freeze is putting together teams that will be in the running year in and year out.
Take this year for example, we should have handled Ole Miss with the injuries they have suffered but there again we couldn't get it done when we were supposedly to have this magical team. Not saying im not proud of our guys because i am, but....

This leads me to say, I think if Mullen was to leave this would be the year as his stock is at an all time high. i DON'T think he will leave as his wife loves Starkville and as I understand it she has moved her parents there.

Freeze isn't going anywhere either, he has his dream job, he makes 3.2 mil and lives 50 miles from home. Why would you leave?
“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, and his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.” Anonymous
dukluk
Duck South Addict

Postby dukluk » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:35 am

Hatchdaddy, you are correct, that offends me....Mullens has given us an unprecedented 10-2 record, #1 ranking for 5 straight weeks, and a current top 10 ranking....and, now, you want to run him off???....who in the h3ll you want???---another Croom???....be grateful, not cynical....please turn in your sidewalk fan card.
bigoak
Duck South Addict

Postby bigoak » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:09 am

It will sting for a while but no shame in losing to a good Ole Miss team. They also beat Alabama at home. Hard to win in Oxford. I hope Mullen stays and I expect Freeze to stay. Both will get pay raises.
JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:20 am

I am a State fan to the core, but I will say that I think if UM would have played the way that they played Sat they would be in the top 5. They are legit, but everyone must remember that we are dealing with 18-22 year old kids. I think both coaches will stay and everything will be back to normal for a while after this year. We all know too well what normal is, but its life.

I have the concoction for a real team.........University of Ms Bulldogs with a 110,000 seat stadium in the greater Jackson area. All we will have to work out is the colors and when we win the NC the first year nobody will care too much about that, because whatever we wear will be awesome. This will also solve UM's mascot woes. Go ahead and bash away, but you all know that I am right:) Use the current campuses as out campuses and the UM faithful can still go to the beloved grove on gameday. After about the 5th NC in a row we would generate enough $$$ to fly them back and forth to the stadium for the game!!
JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:20 am

I am a State fan to the core, but I will say that I think if UM would have played the way that they played Sat they would be in the top 5. They are legit, but everyone must remember that we are dealing with 18-22 year old kids. I think both coaches will stay and everything will be back to normal for a while after this year. We all know too well what normal is, but its life.

I have the concoction for a real team.........University of Ms Bulldogs with a 110,000 seat stadium in the greater Jackson area. All we will have to work out is the colors and when we win the NC the first year nobody will care too much about that, because whatever we wear will be awesome. This will also solve UM's mascot woes. Go ahead and bash away, but you all know that I am right:) Use the current campuses as out campuses and the UM faithful can still go to the beloved grove on gameday. After about the 5th NC in a row we would generate enough $$$ to fly them back and forth to the stadium for the game!!
skywalker
Duck South Addict

Postby skywalker » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:53 am

camlock
Duck South Sponsor

Postby camlock » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:48 pm

If Freeze would come out (ala Les Miles before SEC Championship Game) and put the Florida stuff to rest, I'd get back on board with believing all the genuine stuff he's said about family, home, retirement, etc over the last 3 years. As of lunch today, he's lack of doing so and smoke keeps getting thicker and thicker, he's lack of response does not jive with the other comments leading up to this situation so I'm cautiously optimistic he's staying and Sexton is behind the silence...

as for Mullen...i don't know...
NUTMEG
Duck South Addict

Postby NUTMEG » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:28 pm

Announcement out of Oxford could come tomorrow. Freeze has agreed to $4 million, coordinators $500,000

I heard deal was done Friday night, not sure on that, but deal is done.

Return to “Sports Forum”