Playoff committee question

If it's sports related, it goes here! Try not to get your feelings hurt; it's all in fun.

Moderator: Sports Forum Mods

NUTMEG
Duck South Addict

Postby NUTMEG » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:40 am

Who will be seeded higher tonight Alabama or Ole Miss? Explain your reasoning
webbmaster
Duck South Addict

Re: Playoff committee question

Postby webbmaster » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:55 am

AP, Coaches and old BCS formula all have the same top 4 ranking, so it would be a surprise if different.

Technically, its not a playoff committee question since you are asking "our" reasoning... :wink:
ScottyLee
Duck South Addict

Postby ScottyLee » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:57 am

bama. becuase we just lost to number 24. there only loss was to a top 10 team.

but it doesn't matter, rebs control their own destiny while bama needs help. rebs win arky aub and state (don't think we will win all 3) then rebs go to atlanta.
NUTMEG
Duck South Addict

Postby NUTMEG » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:02 am

Scotty Lee - Committee said head to head would be important and it didn't matter what week the loss came.

I know Rebs control their own destiny but that's not what I am asking.

Another question - State and Ole Miss win out until Egg Bowl Ole Miss wins 20-14 and both finish 11-1. Who is seeded higher by the playoff committee?
webbmaster
Duck South Addict

Postby webbmaster » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:13 am

NUTMEG
Duck South Addict

Postby NUTMEG » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:18 am

Webbmaster - That's not what I am asking. I know the SEC will probably work itself out. The rankings are not based on what should happen but based on play up to this point in the season. Question for you is still who should be seeded higher today?
webbmaster
Duck South Addict

Postby webbmaster » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:22 am

Alabama, of course.

RTR!!!!!!!
mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Postby mshunter77 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:43 am

Alabama will be higher. The committee has said that they will take into account if a team lost that it could still be the better team and just had an off night. In the end the head to head will not matter much. Even though Ole Miss beat Bama pretty much every one thinks Bama is the better team.
NUTMEG
Duck South Addict

Postby NUTMEG » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:20 am

MsHunter I agree. I think Alabama will be higher. But lets take the same scenario and say Bama had went to Eugene and the Ducks beat them 24-21. Then Oregon goes to Oregon State and gets beat 3 weeks later. Bama would jump them in the rankings and can you imagine what would be said if Bama was seeded higher than Oregon.

Lets play out another scenario Ole Miss, Bama , Fla State, Oregon and Notre Dame. Going into the SEC championship they are seeded 1. Fla State 2 Alabama 3 Oregon 4 Notre Dame 5 Ole Miss Ole Miss wins the SEC so you know they are going to move up. Who drops out of top 4? The committee has already said Alabama is #2 and if they don't play should they drop. If you move a second SEC team in and Notre Dame drops out can you imagine what everyone will say.

Lots of years these things work themselves out ( and I don't think Ole Miss wins out) but will it not be interesting to see all of this unfold? I don't see a lot of difference (other than 4 teams) in this and the old UPI and AP polls. It is 12 opinions instead of 40 and they are from all over the country. I am looking forward to the release and I think we will be surprised.
webbmaster
Duck South Addict

Postby webbmaster » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:28 am

deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:15 pm

Bama is historically great, they hung 56 on A&M, but are we seeing an A&M team that has almost given up? The hogs played them tough, Ole Miss beat them(again not talking trash), and they hung 14 on TN while allowing 380 rushing yards. I see a decent team(not talking trash) but other than a thrashing of what I would call a given up A&M team, I dont see how you can just thow them in a top spot until another SEC game or two is played.

Edit: I hope the selection committee saw ND technically beat Fla State and realize that penalty was BS.
Gunslinger
Veteran

Postby Gunslinger » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:51 pm

I wouldn't worry about the rankings tonight, or whether Alabama will be higher than Ole Miss. With 4 more games to be played, it will sort itself out. If Alabama wins out, they will have to beat the current #1, #4, and #16 team (depending on what poll you look at). I think that will be justification to put them in the playoff. I'm not saying they're going to win out though. ESPN and the talking heads love to point out the injury to Oregon's left tackle as an excuse for their one loss. You don't hear much about Alabama losing their star offensive player Drake early in the Ole Miss game. With the SEC west having several more games amongst themselves, I think the situation will clear itself up as to who is best. MSU has to get past Bama and Ole Miss. Ole Miss till has to get by Auburn and MSU. Auburn has Ole Miss, Bama, and Georgia. Bama has LSU, Auburn, and MSU. There is no way we'll be talking about who's the best one loss SEC team the end of November, because there most of them with be 2 loss teams at that time.

My biggest concern is getting a second SEC team in the playoff. I feel certain the champion will go, even with one or two losses. People concerned about the human element of the selection panel are getting just what they asked for. Should have stuck with the BCS system if you didn't.

As to the OP's question, I think Bama with be ahead of Ole Miss in tonight's rankings. Reasoning...because I think they are the better team.
eSJay
Duck South Addict

Postby eSJay » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:46 pm

my prediction: 3 of the 4 will be from the best conference & division in the land!

1 - MSU
2 - FSU
3 - AU
4 - UM
"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
RedEyed Duck
Duck South Addict

Postby RedEyed Duck » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:03 pm

Well ain't that some crap, BAMA is left out in the cold :)
I am interested in purchasing duck calls that were made by Mike McLemore. I am a family member and they have a sentimental value.
eSJay
Duck South Addict

Postby eSJay » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:33 pm

meltdown in t-town
"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham

Return to “Sports Forum”