Auburn vs. Ole Miss

If it's sports related, it goes here! Try not to get your feelings hurt; it's all in fun.

Moderator: Sports Forum Mods

Hole Hunter
Duck South Addict

Auburn vs. Ole Miss

Postby Hole Hunter » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:41 pm

This looks to be a toss up after the weekend loss to LSU. Ole Miss is only a 2 pt favorite according to Vegas.

Our defense regressed and could not stop USC until the final moments (when it counted). On the other hand, our offense played lights out. Clearly one of their best showings of the year with nearly 400yds of total offense. I am not really sure which side will show up on the road in Oxford, but it is sure to be another SEC dog fight.

Regardless, I look forward to partying it up in The Grove with the Black Bear Rebel Landsharks. 8)

WAR DAMN EAGLE!!!
WAR DAYUM EAGLE!!!

A True Sportsman shoots what he eats and eats what he shoots.
hillhunter
Duck South Addict

Re: Auburn vs. Ole Miss

Postby hillhunter » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:12 pm

Teams who lose their first game react two ways... They either get so pissed they kill the next team they play, or they play mediocre and barely win or lose again i.e. Bama vs Arky. There are going to be a lot of criticisms and blame game going around this week. Bo has brought some additional heat on himself IMO which he will have to deal with as well. If they can't keep the drama out of O-town, chalk up loss number 2. If Freeze can get them refocused and play inspired football then I think they can beat AU... OM defense will keep them within a touchdown or ten points of every game this year no matter how bad the offense performs. If Bo can focus on task at hand then the Rebels can score on AU defense and win.

Win or lose, I think State watches this game closely because of the similarities of MSU and AU offenses. They can learn a lot about OM from the way AU plays them.
work hard, play hard
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:28 am

This will be another game that goes into the 4th quarter in doubt for both teams.

Thoughts On Auburn:
(1) I think they may be the best one loss team in the country - IMO, if they played State again, the outcome would be different. They spotted State 21 points right out of the gate with turnovers (which State admittedly forced). Having been at the game, I felt that Auburn was much better than a 15 point loss to State in Vegas. From the second quarter to the fourth quarter, they actually seemed to be a much better team.
(2) That said, they probably should have lost to a USCe team that has ranged from respectable to horrible throughout the season.
(3) I think their run game may give Ole Miss some trouble and they are a much better passing team than LSU (I think the two best receivers on the field will be playing for Auburn in Coats and Williams on Saturday).
(4) However, I don't think Auburn scores more than 24 points because the Ole Miss defensive is insanely good.

Thoughts on Ole Miss:
(1) How will injuries to RN, Tunsil and Prewitt affect the Rebels. All are expected to play, but how much will their play be affected by the injuries - will they be 60%, 80% or near 100%?
(2) What is the emotional status of a team that suffered a big loss on a big stage - can Freeze refocus them and keep their eye on the prize?
(3) I think Bo Wallace bounces back and has a good game. He didn't have a bad game in Baton Rouge - LSU was just clicking on defense.
(4) I am interested to see if Ole Miss can generate a run game to open up the pass. LSU did not respect the Ole Miss run game in the second half and was able to commit an extra defensive back to pass protection.

I think this game comes down to who wants it more because either team is able to beat the other. Freeze resurrected Ole Miss last year after a tough loss to Texas A&M that left them without multiple starters and beat a top 10 LSU team the next week. He has shown he can recover. Malzahn teams have shown an ability to persevere more than any other team in the last two years.

My Prediction:

Auburn wins 21-20.
Hole Hunter
Duck South Addict

Postby Hole Hunter » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:36 pm

Solid synopsis there DM77. I predict Bad Bo to throw a few picks, pitch another selfish hissey and chirp out for some Abner's chicken fingers in the 3rd qtr .

Tigers win! 8)
WAR DAYUM EAGLE!!!

RiverDuck
Duck South Addict

Postby RiverDuck » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:30 am

LSU played like chit and still beat Ole Miss. LSU turned the ball over in critical spots and dropped 2 EASY interceptions as well. I honestly think LSU was the better team that day, and should have won by 10+ points.

Ole Miss' defense is the real deal, but I think they showed there vulnerability last week. They have not faced a dynamic offense like they will see against Auburn. Auburn will put up 20+...

Auburn 24- Ole Miss 13
eSJay
Duck South Addict

Postby eSJay » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:53 am

Seems like I read somewhere that ole miss holds the longest streak if holding opponents under 20 points. Something's GOT to give 'cause we haven't scored under 20 since Chizik's last year.
Our tailgate is in the circle so holler at me if you'll be there & I'll pour you a whiskey.
Huge game for both teams obviously & should be a good one.

WDE!
"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
NUTMEG
Duck South Addict

Postby NUTMEG » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:14 pm

20 or less in 10 straight going back to last year. The defense is nasty and they play so many people.

I think being 4th in playoff helped pick the Rebels spirit back up and will propel them in this game.

If everyone plays I think the rebels hold Auburn to 20 and win 31 - 20.
camlock
Duck South Sponsor

Postby camlock » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:53 pm

don't think the pressure and strain of the stretch of games Ole Miss has been on is being considered by anyone (at least I haven't heard)...Auburn this weekend in Oxford culminates a murderous row for Ole Miss. Losing in a game full of "what if" on both sides, on the road, in conference, but still only by 3 points allowing only 10 could have popped the giagantic "BEARDED CLAM" filled pimple of anxiety this team has been put through since Alabama left Oxford, it's all behind them and the stress of losing and undefeated is over...the release could be just what they need to roll into November...

or they could be deflated and exposed and lose 2 or 3 more games...

who knows
Blake Williamson
Duck South Addict
Location: Probably on the Pearl River setting at the cabin with a beer in hand with Ol'Jake beside me.

Postby Blake Williamson » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:28 pm

OM-14 AU-21

WAR DAM EAGLE!!!!!
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
JaMak84
Duck South Addict

Postby JaMak84 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:39 pm

I think Bo folds like a cheap lawn chair.
deltadukman: "We may not agree on everything, but we all like t!tties"
Hole Hunter
Duck South Addict

Postby Hole Hunter » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:53 pm

WAR DAYUM EAGLE!!!

eSJay
Duck South Addict

Postby eSJay » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:47 pm

Gonna be like beating his little brother for CGM Sat night!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2250 ... ing-family
"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
7ducks
Veteran

Postby 7ducks » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:23 am

A duck call is one of the best conservation tools ever invented
RedEyed Duck
Duck South Addict

Auburn vs. Ole Miss

Postby RedEyed Duck » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:43 pm

Last edited by RedEyed Duck on Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am interested in purchasing duck calls that were made by Mike McLemore. I am a family member and they have a sentimental value.
JaMak84
Duck South Addict

Postby JaMak84 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:17 pm

deltadukman: "We may not agree on everything, but we all like t!tties"

Return to “Sports Forum”