Cohen...and what has to change

If it's sports related, it goes here! Try not to get your feelings hurt; it's all in fun.

Moderator: Sports Forum Mods

SWAG
Duck South Addict

Postby SWAG » Wed May 20, 2015 9:16 am

Saw this post on Facebook and it had some very good comments following. Cohen is here for at least the 2016 season, never the less with a very hot seat. So you are sitting there as the AD having this 'rubber meets the road" conversation with Cohen about what is expected of MSU baseball in 2016....what are you telling him he must do to remain the MSU head baseball coach? What is the minimum of achievements he and his team must reach this next season for him to keep his job? Some of the answers were make the SEC tourney, make NCAA regional, host a regional, winning SEC record, etc, etc. So I will ask you....you are the AD...what conversation and expectations are you putting on Cohen for the upcoming 2016 season?
Are we gonna get wet?
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Re: Cohen...and what has to change

Postby Deltamud77 » Wed May 20, 2015 11:31 am

18-12 in SEC Play, make the SEC Tourney and make a regional. If he does that, which he will, then he is retained. Otherwise, he is gone.
bustercat64
Veteran

Postby bustercat64 » Wed May 20, 2015 12:30 pm

stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Wed May 20, 2015 1:52 pm

Average .600 in conf? Have we done that since the 90s, say, for any 4 year span?

It's a great and reachable goal, but not a reasonable expectation. We are NOT the Bama of college baseball. Not even close.
SWAG
Duck South Addict

Postby SWAG » Wed May 20, 2015 2:15 pm

Not sure expectations would be too high if we were coming off of a normal season and what kids we have leaving, but with his seat hot then I think Cohen better find a way to win and win now. We are not the Alabama of college baseball, but there is a certain level of tradition and expectation. MSU should NEVER miss the SEC tourney...never. Finishing above .500 in league play will get you in a regional as tough as this conference is. So that .500 mark is certainly a hard line drawn in the sand. Hosting and supers are great, but truth is we have played our way into CWS without having those benefits before. The key is to get into post season and have the horses who can win you 3. Cohen will have to change some of his strategy, and that includes all phases of it from recruiting to filling out the lineup card to actual decisions made during the game. He is a competitive SOB who wants to win, you have to give him that. I think he is driven to be successful, but the very best always understand that you have to change and adapt. Not sure if he can admit when he is wrong. Bottom line....I think it will take making SEC and a NCAA regional for his seat to cool off...and he does not need to squeak in. Hopefully we will see more MS and AL boys on roster as well.
Are we gonna get wet?
bustercat64
Veteran

Postby bustercat64 » Wed May 20, 2015 4:13 pm

I agree that we are not the Alabama football of college baseball but our goals should be some what the same. I do feel that our facilities and the amount of money we put into our baseball program compared to rest of the country puts us in the upper league of college baseball. We as MSU fans have always been able to argue that we have one of the best program and venues in the nation. We role out a multi million dollar expansion and this is the season we have and we have the jersey issue which is very big in my book. I hate OM like no other but the warm up shirts was wrong and I will never believe that no one noticed it before it was seen by the public. I have nothing against Cohen if he is still our coach then I will support him and the team in every way that I can. I would love to see us go from worst to first with him as the coach but my concern is that state does not wait to late to make a coaching change; if one is needed like they have always done in the past. If and a big if lets say we make it to the CWS next season will Cohen ask for a raise?
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Thu May 21, 2015 1:41 pm

deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Thu May 21, 2015 2:25 pm

We need beer showers, apparently that makes it all worthwhile. Saw where a certain school posted a picture for having the #2 spot in average per game attendance this year at 8028. We need beer showers, moral victories, and a heck of a marketing department.
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Thu May 21, 2015 5:03 pm

Ask Albert "Joey" Belle which outfield invented the beer shower. :D
donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Thu May 21, 2015 6:01 pm

i remember....do remember a "doh" moment when it happened, but didn't have a clue the gravity of it. another example of improvise, adapt and overcome was instituted shortly thereafter.
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
Greenhead22
Duck South Addict

Postby Greenhead22 » Fri May 22, 2015 7:26 am

camlock
Duck South Sponsor

Postby camlock » Fri May 22, 2015 8:46 am

any SEC program that can go .500 in conference and .750 to .800 in non-conference will be in avg or down years in a regional and good years hosting with shot at a top 8...that should be the goal for every SEC program in my opinion, 15 wins in conference and 20 wins in non-conference, below that too many years in a row is time for a meeting.
stitch
Duck South Addict

Postby stitch » Wed May 27, 2015 7:40 pm

Come on Greenhead22.....you worked a summer in the financial aid office, I figured you were in on the meetings with Stricklin setting the goals and standards.....share with us what you guys discussed.

I can tell you what has been laid out for Cohen as far as expectations....absolutely nothing. He played for a NC 2 years ago which no other sport in the history of the school has done. Is he on the hot seat, maybe by the year 2020.
bigoak
Duck South Addict

Postby bigoak » Thu May 28, 2015 8:45 am

Finishing last in the conference in any of the big 3 sports should place any coach on the hot seat. Finish at the bottom again next year and don't make a regional and you are done. That is pretty much the standard at all SEC schools in the big 3 sports with few exceptions. MSU baseball is not an exception. Cohen knows that. No need for the AD to explain that or tell him what to change.
Greenhead22
Duck South Addict

Postby Greenhead22 » Thu May 28, 2015 9:00 pm

Return to “Sports Forum”