State v Ole Miss - Egg Bowl 2014 - Prediction Thread

If it's sports related, it goes here! Try not to get your feelings hurt; it's all in fun.

Moderator: Sports Forum Mods

Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

State v Ole Miss - Egg Bowl 2014 - Prediction Thread

Postby Deltamud77 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:14 am

Well, I was way off in my prediction about Ole Miss beating Arkansas. I honestly didn't think State would beat Vandy like they did either.

That said, I really have no clue who will win the Egg Bowl. Logic would tell you that Ole Miss is an emotionally defeated and physically beat up team without its best offensive player and with a QB that cannot defeat his own internal problems. State, on the other hand, has everything to play for (including a potential shot at the national playoff).

I don't think Ole Miss will be able to run the ball on State. Without Treadwell, it is hard to imagine Ole Miss being able to effectively pass to any great degree on State. I think State can probably run the ball a little on Ole Miss but Ole Miss actually slowed the Arkansas rushing attack pretty well the other night. Ole Miss can certainly slow State's passing game with their defensive backs.

Again, logic would indicate that State probably beats Ole Miss by a touchdown or more.

However, this is not a logical series or rivalry. These two teams don't fit within the parameters of logic. For that reason, my gut tells me that Ole Miss, with the home crowd behind them, on Senior Day, wins this one by a field goal as time expires and ruins State's season.

30-27 Rebel Black Bears.
SWAG
Duck South Addict

Re: State v Ole Miss - Egg Bowl 2014 - Prediction Thread

Postby SWAG » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:25 am

I too believe that this game usually goes against logic and it just turns into a "who wants it more" type of battle. That being said, and of course I am biased, I am hopeful logic does play out and the Dogs skull drag the Rebels up and down the field. MSU certainly has the ability to do just that especially if the Rebels come out with a Debbie Downer attitude. I am sure Freeze will not let that happen 2 weeks in a row and especially not for a rivalry game such as this. Dak has been a little careless with the ball as of late and pick 6 for the Rebels could be the gas on the fire Freeze needs to get his players back to mental state they were a few weeks ago. Anything can and will happen....but logic does say the Dogs are a little bit better and have alot more to get up for.

MSU 27 (4 TDs and a missed EP)
UM 13
Are we gonna get wet?
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:58 am

The mindset of the two teams interests me a lot.

Ole miss is playing to spoil the season for MSU - and OM thought they would be in MSUs position just three weeks ago. Their role is nothing more than spoiler and they are having to come out of the funk of losing their last three SEC contests.

MSU, on the other hand, is not only trying to beat their rival in their rival's stadium, they are attempting to do it in such convincing fashion that ESPN cannot put Ohio State or Baylor in over them as "better teams that won their conference".

State is trying to beat Ole Miss badly - not just win. Just squeaking by does them no good.
skywalker
Duck South Addict

Postby skywalker » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:29 am

I agree DM77 and I think it may change the game plan for MSU. Without a decisive victory by MSU, they will not be in the top 4 if 1-3 win out (big ? on this). All Ole Miss has to do to play 'spolier' is keep the game close........I also think if MSU coaching staff does change the game plan to try to run up the score that it may back fire and cost them the game......

MSU 31 UM 17

AND.....

BAMA 147 AU -7 RTR..... :lol:
bustercat64
Veteran

Postby bustercat64 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:22 pm

I think State's offense is the most rounded of any in the conference and I fill the OM just had a wake up call of just how ruff it is to play in this conference. State has to get off to a good start then they could win big but if close OM as my dad once said they are so lucky they can fart into a swing milk jug 50 yards away. State will be up for this game the question is will OM if not 31 to 14 State.
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:47 pm

I predict Ole Miss fans will leave during the third quarter.
Peewee
msbigdawg1234
Duck South Addict

Postby msbigdawg1234 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:45 pm

They might not make the 3rd
My name is Rick Daughtry.......

Well, I had a lot of money, but to the city went
I met too many good looking girls and that's where my money went
Yeah I know just where it went
No I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.
rebelduckaholic
Duck South Addict

Postby rebelduckaholic » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:28 pm

And State fans Never leave early? Not saying they won't but both schools tend to leave early. This year the best year at state they have stayed for the most part. But let's be real
Work is for a man who can't fish
4dawgma
Duck South Addict

Postby 4dawgma » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:10 pm

Where'd who go?
hillhunter
Duck South Addict

Postby hillhunter » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:31 pm

I think it will be a hard game for the bulldogs. The OM defense has won some games for them and kept them in all the rest of them. Arkansas took them to the woodshed but the defense still played pretty good considering what they were handed to work with.

My prediction based on IFs.... IF the OM team comes out flat and unmotivated, which I'm not sure they will.. Then it may be a 10+ point win for the dawgs. IF Bad Bo shows up, then the crowd may turn in him quickly.... History has shown when he is off his game, he is way off.... But when he is on, he is hard to beat. IF they come out pumped up... And play the kind of football they are capable of, then they will be a hard team to beat in their own house. A 230 game is not as big as a 630 game from a crowd factor I think.

I don't think State is going to have trouble getting up for this game, they know what's on the line and what they have to lose. I think the burden is on Freeze to get his team prepared throughout this portion of adversity for the OM program, how good of a job he does at that will be the deciding factor on whether or not the Rebels put themselves in a position to win.
work hard, play hard
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:49 am

Good analysis Hillhunter. And, as a Reb fan for most of my 48 yrs, I would add: whether or not we waste downs trying to pass to Mathers, whether we try to run 160 lb Walten inside the tackles fifty-leven times, and how many punt/KO returns we can goof up.

Either team has the capacity to win the game, that's a given. State is probably stronger overall, especially with key injuries to OM studs - which again is a given in the SEC. Reb D can be really wicked at home - heck, anywhere. And for sure, they would like to erase last year's game.

If Bo is not 100% on mobility, we will struggle offensively even if he makes good decisions. When he came back in at Arkansas, he wasn't able to plant that back foot to get any zip on the deep ball. And, he's been a run threat all year as well. Our freshmen QB's are just not ready for prime time yet.
davidees
Duck South Addict

Postby davidees » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:29 pm

MSDawg870
Duck South Addict

Postby MSDawg870 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:01 pm

If freeze were to pull this one off, I'd expect to see him in the grove performing his next miracle turning water into cough syrup.

No doubt OM is a good team. I just cant see them overcoming the injuries as well as being gutted last week.

But crazier $#!+ has happened this year so who knows.
JaMak84
Duck South Addict

Postby JaMak84 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:11 pm

Is Freeze still in the running for coach of the year?
deltadukman: "We may not agree on everything, but we all like t!tties"
lilwhitelie
Duck South Addict

Postby lilwhitelie » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:23 pm

Let's don't forget the croom era. State couldn't buy a game but somehow beat an ole miss team that they had no business beating. State had nothing to play for those years but somehow pulled off the upset. Last year was no exception. If they had put daks in then ole miss would have won.

What scares me is it's in oxford where good Bo usually shows up. Secondly there is no rain in the forecast so ole lists will be pass happy against a very average secondary so they don't have to run the ball. If good Bo that played against auburn shows up then state is in trouble.

State has to establish a run game against a good run defense. Arkansas May have banged em up good so maybe it's a possibility. If state has to do as they did against bama and throw a lot then it could get ugly.mthey can't afford a bunch of 3 and outs or 3rd and longs.

Hope state pulls it off and bama wins. I think that's states best shot at the championship game. I think Georgia sneaks into sec championship game and beats the mess out of bama. They are on a roll.
HRCH JB'S LIL WHITE LIE

Return to “Sports Forum”