ADS: Landlords take a look please

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

ADS: Landlords take a look please

Postby Smoke68 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:01 pm

I'm buying my first rental property at the end of this month. A 3BR/3BA house close to MSU. My wife responded to an advertisement of someone looking for a place in May. Turns out it's an upperclassman girl finishing her degree and her boyfriend who is taking a job in this area.

They have a dog. Chocolate lab mix, 2 1/2 yrs old. The house has a large fenced yard.

Your thoughts? Things to watch out for? Would you do it or hold out for no pets, smaller pets, or older pets. A 2 yr old lab struck me as worse case scenario.

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Re: ADS: Landlords take a look please

Postby Anatidae » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:14 pm

I'd want to meet all 3 prospective inhabitants and make them (or better yet......the owner of the dog) put-up a sizeable deposit for property damage for sure.

Basically depends on what your other prospects are at the time......and how long you want to 'wait' for something more appealing......it might not come.

Obviously you've had a dog and know what the terrible 2's can mean.
"I'd like to be remembered among my closest waterfowling friends (if I am remembered at all) for how I hunted them - not how many I killed" - [Jay Strangis]
ScottyLee
Duck South Addict

Postby ScottyLee » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:19 pm

your bank can help you do a credit check for your prospects as well
yankee
Veteran

Postby yankee » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:43 pm

I rent to folks with dogs--get a damage deposit, but typically, dogs ruin furniture, and the things the renters own, rather than the walls and woodwork of your property. You can decide after you see the people and the animal.
4dawgma
Duck South Addict

Postby 4dawgma » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:44 pm

What's she look like?
Where'd who go?
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:33 pm

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
kris Schaumburg
Veteran

Postby kris Schaumburg » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:37 pm

i wrote my contracts so that if they choose to have a pet, they put up an additional non refundable pet deposit. That is non negotiable. Generally people have trouble finding a place that accepts large dogs, so generally they jump on it. In general the pet does no damage, and you keep an extra 400-500
mudsucker
Duck South Addict

Postby mudsucker » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:37 pm

He'd hit it.
Long Live the Black Democrat!
GEAUX LSU!
WHO DAT!
DO,DU AND DW!
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:38 pm

Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
mossyisland
Duck South Addict

Postby mossyisland » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:40 pm

On mine, we make them pay a one time fee for pets.
lilwhitelie
Duck South Addict

Postby lilwhitelie » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:24 pm

With the $$$$ my lab cost me in stuff they destroyed at my 1st house I would jump on a 400 dollar deposit. Between sod, cable wires, fence boards, and lord oh lord don't let the ac unit be in the backyard!!!!!!! Got one now that digs and chews everything in sight!!!!! I gave up on keeping the yard nice and had to put a hotwire just to keep her from eating the boards. Wife's lab did a LOT of damage inside chewing baseboards etc.
HRCH JB'S LIL WHITE LIE
SwampMan
Veteran

Postby SwampMan » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:53 am

Would you rather have a female grad student with dog, or a group of male freshmen without dogs? I would imagine the female and her boyfriend would tear up much less than a group of drunk males. I would make her give deposit, but wouldn't harp too much on the dog issue. GOOD renters are VERY hard to find. We have 3 rental properties in Hinds county, and have more of an issue with the humans than the animals they bring with them.
BAY KINGFISHER
Duck South Addict

Postby BAY KINGFISHER » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:55 pm

I am in rental properties all the time. Some of these properties are high-end rentals and some are bottom of the barrel (public housing / tax credit / HUD). The number one cause of damage in the aforementioned properties is jointly shared by kids and pets!! Personally, I would take a non-refundable pet deposit on top of the security deposit. Next, I would make sure that the contract reads that you have the right to inspect the property at anytime. Some rental owners I know insist that they change the A/C filters themselves, in order to insure a once a month inspection.( Good if your local!!) Also, if you need to replace carpet, buy the cheapest / darkest you can get by with!! Make sure you thoroughly check references and dont trust anyone; even if they seem to be more affluent.
HRCH Mr. Buck's Delta Do "Dee" MH

Return to “General Discussion Forum”