List of Professional Retriever Trainers (Micah approved)

Retrievers are one of the most enjoyable aspects of duck and goose hunting. Let's talk about some working dogs.

Moderator: Gun Dog Moderators

fireman48

Postby fireman48 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:11 pm

Taking my pup to Steve Vires this Saturday. Can't wait to see the results. I asked for references for a trainer on another forum,and got several recommendations about Steve. I gave him a call about 4 months ago and he invited me to meet him at a hunt test the next weekend. I went and was impressed with the dogs he ran as well as I was with him. He was friendly, helpful,and professional.. He invited me down to his place the following weekend to join in his training group and meet everyone.
I went and was very happy with what I saw. Everyone was friendly and helpful. There was one guy who was from close to home and he invvited me to join in their group around Memphis once I got ready.
I liked the looks of Steve's facilities as well as I did the way he treated me. Can't wait for my boy to get there and see what Steve can do wit him.
If it doesn't work out ,trust me , I'll let you know.
duckers
Regular

Re: List of Professional Retriever Trainers (Micah approved)

Postby duckers » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:41 am

I thought firemen had dalmations.
chrishuf910

Postby chrishuf910 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:10 am

Billy Mosley
Avery Creek Retrievers
http://www.averycreek.net
Good guy and a great trainer
Rsmithiii

Postby Rsmithiii » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:59 am

I just purchased an 11 month old black that has been in training with Jim Shurden (Hillcrest Kennels) for approximately six months. I left her for one more month. Has anyone else used Jim? He has excellent facilities and he has my dog doing great.
wsmith7t7

Postby wsmith7t7 » Mon May 26, 2008 7:20 am

i am just looking for someone to train my dog for duck hunting purposes only.. not really interested in hunt tests right now. i live in brandon, just wondering if there was one close to this area?
Damn_It_Boy
Duck South Addict

Postby Damn_It_Boy » Mon May 26, 2008 7:41 am

wsmith7t7 wrote:i am just looking for someone to train my dog for duck hunting purposes only.. not really interested in hunt tests right now. i live in brandon, just wondering if there was one close to this area?

Where is your area?

rsm688
Veteran

Postby rsm688 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:55 am

Im kinda in the same boat as you and the same area, does anyone know a good trainer that I could use around christmas time when I am back home from college in central mississippi (around Jackson and Madison)

Thanks,
Spencer
gordo23

Re:

Postby gordo23 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:52 pm

MSDuckmen wrote:
Copen wrote:"I've had a bad experience with this kennel, please PM me for details".

That's funny right there I don't care who you are...

I can't tell you how many times I have heard that very thing. I know John personally so I'll voice no opinion on the mans business.

I do however chuckle every time I see post like this.

Sorry about you Dog.

"I've had a bad experience with this kennel, please PM me for details".
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Postby GulfCoast » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:49 pm

Several of the posts in this entire thread have been edited slightly to comply with Micah's new policy on pro-trainers. It is hard to know what both sides of the story may be when things are posted on the internet. The Owner, Admins and Mods are not casting any doubts on anyone's honesty. We all know there are some physically and psychologically abusive trainers out there. We also all know unhappy clients with unrealistic expectations regaring the ability of their dog, or who expect a "$400.00 miracle" from an honest, hardworking trainer. Therefore, from now on, the policy is that negative posts on trainers will be edited to say:

"I've had a bad experience with this kennel/trainer, please PM me for details".

You may describe what you consider the problem to be in as much detail as you like in a PM to anyone who desires more information.

You may post all the positive experiances that you see fit to post.

Thanks for your understanding and support,

Your friendly neighborhood moderators.
So many ducks, so little time....

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH (2005-2017)
HRCH Tipsy MH
Zsa-Zsa Puppy
Bababooey
Veteran

Postby Bababooey » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:30 pm

We have had an awful experience with Earl Coleman in Canton. He has a resume that will knock your sox off but please stay away. I will be glad to elaborate more if you will PM me.

There were three other people that had their puppies at Earl's at the same time that I did and had very similar outcomes.

PM me if you would like more info or some names and numbers of other people who have had the same experience as me and my dog.

(Edited per pro-trainer policy, PM the poster for details-GC)
augie

Postby augie » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:16 pm

Sprig Kennels in Corinne Ut gets my vote. He trains labs for waterfowl and has extensive akc hunt test experience, including judging at all levels. 435-744-2577 www.sprigkennels.net
If your not hunting with a trained dog, your just walking around.
Sprig Kennels
Chevalier

Postby Chevalier » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:03 am

Mark Smith
LaPlace, La.
504 858 5400

Mark has trained dozens of Field Champions over the last 25 years. Many of his Field Trial washouts have gone on to become Master Hunters/ successful SRS dogs and hunting companions.

$650 a month plus birds
His truck is generally full so I would suggest anyone interested in his services make their reservations well ahead of time. He only takes 18 dogs at a time.

Mark trains in the Bonne Carre Spillway and Lebeau Field Trial Grounds in Whiteville, La.
Bama Stripes
Regular

Postby Bama Stripes » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:56 am

Joe Migliore
Rainbow City (Gadsden), Alabama
256-413-0423

Joe has been in the business for over 30 years. Specializes in UKC/AKC hunt tests, as well as gun dog training. Probably the most reasonably priced trainer around. If you value Evan Graham's opinion, contact him for an opinion on Joe's capabilities (they are old training friends).
blakegleason
Duck South Sponsor

Postby blakegleason » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:30 pm

I cannot believe that www.duckhillkennels.com in Tn has not been mentioned. My dog came from Duckhill, Robert Milner is the trainers name. He only breeds British labs.

Other good local Brit breeders are Huntfield in Canton, and Wildrose in Oxford. Robert Milner started Wilrose and sold it. He now owns Duckhill. Well worth the drive.
mudweiser92887
Veteran

Re:

Postby mudweiser92887 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:36 pm

MSDuckmen wrote:
Copen wrote:I would never let John Kabbes touch another one of my dogs. The first lab I ever really had for a duck dog he destroyed. I have never seen anyone that was so ruthless with an animal of any kind. I would die before I would send another dog to him.

That's funny right there I don't care who you are...

I can't tell you how many times I have heard that very thing. I know John personally so I'll voice no opinion on the mans business.

I do however chuckle every time I see post like this.

Sorry about you Dog.

I worked for John and ran the kennel for about a year and a half back during 2006-2007.
I too have heard this many times but the man does have Porky....
Bloodshed Outdoors

Return to “Gun Dog Forum”