List of Professional Retriever Trainers (Micah approved)

Retrievers are one of the most enjoyable aspects of duck and goose hunting. Let's talk about some working dogs.

Moderator: Gun Dog Moderators

msdawg1

Postby msdawg1 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:40 pm

MSDUCKMEN-Are you saying you do not agree with that post? I live in Brandon as well and was considering Blue Ribbon but was not sure if they would do just force fetch. Do you know of any local trainers near us?
Thanks.
Copiah Creek
Duck South Sponsor

Postby Copiah Creek » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:36 am

Are you saying you have a 10 month old FINISHED retiever and your NOT going to run her until spring ,,,,,,well spring is here ,,,,,,are you going to skip AKC junior and senior and go straight to master,,,i cant wait to see Diamond myself,,,if you run UKC i hope to see you ... :lol:
HRCH UH Hope Spring's Dowry MH*** aka Fatty
HRCH UH Hill Top's Stealing Cinderella MH aka Punkin
HRCH Gator Point's Swamp Water MH aka Rain
MSDuckmen
Duck South Addict

Postby MSDuckmen » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:53 am

msdawg1 wrote:MSDUCKMEN-Are you saying you do not agree with that post? I live in Brandon as well and was considering Blue Ribbon but was not sure if they would do just force fetch. Do you know of any local trainers near us?
Thanks.

Sorry about the slow response I didn't see your post till now.

I will not say if I agree or not. But I would sure ask around before sending my dog to a trainer.

There is a man that lives in Canton that trains. His name is Earl Coleman.
Probably the best all around trainer I know. He has worked with seeing eye dogs, attack dogs, run the Obedience route and both the Hunting test and Field trail deal. If your really interested in talking with him PM me.
Faithful Retrievers
Duck South Addict

Postby Faithful Retrievers » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:13 pm

Where did Moon go? Didn't hear anything else.
http://www.grizzlyjig.com
"Better to have people think your a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"- Mark Twain
S Turn 2
Veteran

Postby S Turn 2 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:20 pm

Chris Scott @ L&D Retrievers Henderson, TN
731-608-0895

AKC/UKC hunt tests & other events as well. Chris is a great trainer and his son Kyle is following in his footsteps. They actually trained my lab Cody and he is doing great for a pup. I am sending him back to them for another session. They had him picking up birds and obidience trained at 8 months after only working with him for a month and half. After 3 months, I brought him home and hunted him for the remainder of the season. At 9 months old I don't think he missed bird that we shot down. He is a very good trainer with a proven track record. My favorite part about him is that he shoots straight with you. He isn't going to tell you what you want to hear.
If you want your dog trained right. Call him.....

http://www.ldretrieving.com
flyntwt
Veteran

Postby flyntwt » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:38 pm

this message has been deleted
Last edited by flyntwt on Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mallardchaser
Duck South Addict

Postby mallardchaser » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:03 pm

I can't tell you how many times I have heard that very thing. I know John personally so I'll voice no opinion on the mans business

I've heard some stories about how you know John. Hillside, your group of "hunters" didn't like him coming into "your area." Shed some light on that please!
littlebela
Regular

Postby littlebela » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:20 am

outbacklab.com

Freddy Mcroy is the best I have seen. He treats the dogs very well and keeps their spirits up. He is located in Eupora,MS just off Hwy 82 about 15 minutes from Starkville. I have two pups with him now. I have tried other WELL KNOWN/BIG NAMES, but they are into making robots not duck hunting companions. For a good deal with great results he can't be beat. Right now he is only about $350/month. Sire earned his Hunting Retriever Champion title at the age of 22 months. Sire has 18 hunting titles in his three-generation pedigree, all chocolates.
. Highly recommend.
moon
Regular

Postby moon » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:15 pm

John didn't do as well of a job as had been expected. Diamond has come a long way for what she was when I got her from John. She did not run this spring, because she 2months pregent in april. We do expect to finally run juniors this fall. I will never send john another dog. i will make the time and do it myself!!!
Wait for the landing gear and shootem in the face!!! CTM2005
grnhead1
Veteran

Postby grnhead1 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:14 pm

Freddy has my vote... he has my 8 month chocalate that i bought from him as a puppy and is a couple weeks from a finished retriever.. his sire chase is a unbelieveable dog and cant beat the pedigree.. my dog is happy and i know Freddy treats the dogs right.. He knows how to do things and do them right.. he has great customer service.. Highly recommend freddy if you want a good hunting dog and a buddy.. outbacklab.com
duckhuntercv

Postby duckhuntercv » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:09 pm

Tammy Cook in Blackhawk Ms is by far the best around. i have spent many of days watching her work dogs. She is seriously the best i ve ever seen. If your serious about your dog talk to Tammy she really takes alot of time with each and every dog. If you doubt what i tell you then i ll find her # and you can call an set up a date and go watch her train.
bolivarduck
Veteran

Postby bolivarduck » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:22 pm

duckhunterdoc wrote:Roosevelt Johnson Kennel 1134 Guergon Road , Greenville MS 662-335-4839---been in it for years--trained my bird dog and my brother-in -laws lab--excellent

:shock: :?
Copiah Creek
Duck South Sponsor

Postby Copiah Creek » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:24 pm

If you are looking for a trainer , with a great track record and great dogs .
And a lot of one on one with the owner , Or your looking for a Grand trainer , and you live in the southern part of the state , look at ChuMac kennels and Chuck McCall . 225-235-7413
HRCH UH Hope Spring's Dowry MH*** aka Fatty
HRCH UH Hill Top's Stealing Cinderella MH aka Punkin
HRCH Gator Point's Swamp Water MH aka Rain
ScottS
Veteran

Postby ScottS » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:43 pm

Here is another vote for Freddy M at Outback Lab. He's got my 10 month old female and she is now in her second month with him. She is unbelievable!

I went to see her just after Christmas (her 4th week of training) and she was following all basic commands and retrieving up a storm. She's now moving into force fetch and steady to shot. I can't wait to see how she is doing at the end of January!

Scott Spencer
Pelham, AL
quackerbarrell
Veteran

Postby quackerbarrell » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:52 pm

SHEPPARDS KENNELS
Tishomingo, MS AKC & UKC Hunt Test
(662)438-7074 http://www.sheppardskennels.com

Jesse Shepard does an amazing job with the labs that he trains. I know this personally because my companion in the blind is from him and I could not ask for a better dog. On top he is a good friend of my father and I.

HRCH Sir Coupe Deville of Hardeman
The Duck Blind Is My Thinking Hole.. What's Yours?

Join Ducks Unlimited Today!

"THE TRIO"

Return to “Gun Dog Forum”