Hunting Dog Picture Thread

Retrievers are one of the most enjoyable aspects of duck and goose hunting. Let's talk about some working dogs.

Moderator: Gun Dog Moderators

tha bugman
Veteran

Re: Hunting Dog Picture Thread

Postby tha bugman » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:46 pm

Poppyfield's Chip Off The Block

You ain't killin if you ain't shootin
simplepeddler
Veteran

Postby simplepeddler » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:01 pm

IMG_0726.JPG

Number one son and Quaid the Wachtelhund ...he's 8 months here
gentimmy
Regular

Postby gentimmy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:16 pm

My pup, Missi, turned 1 on Christmas Eve. Sure has been a joy having her:

her first retrieve at 11 months:
ajfa
Regular

Postby ajfa » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:16 pm

Pups first gad wall at 10 months
Attachments
photo (15).JPG
Dude at 10 months
greencaps
Veteran

Postby greencaps » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:41 pm

GRHRCH Boudreaux MH after an excellent NE AR hunt
Attachments
image.jpg
GRHRCH Boudreaux MH
GRHRCH Delta Dreams Boudreaux MH
SHR Blazin' One Hot Momma "Morgan"
greencaps
Veteran

Postby greencaps » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:47 pm

Boudreaux in Saskatchewan
Attachments
image.jpg
Canada
GRHRCH Delta Dreams Boudreaux MH
SHR Blazin' One Hot Momma "Morgan"
champcaller
Duck South Addict

Postby champcaller » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:41 am

Achilles' Man in Black - CashMH

www.frontlinewaterfowl.com
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:32 pm

Proverbs 12:10 A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal.

My best buddy died from renal failure not too long ago. I wanted to take him on one last hunt, just me and him. I took him to the spot where my dad first took me. It's not the greatest spot in the world, but it is similiar to hunting on a powerline- you can see birds all day. At dusk you can witness thousands of birds coming in to roost all around you. They'll buzz your head so close that you could kill a limit everyday with a stout fishing net. This hunt was a couple of days before he died. He was weak until he saw where we were at, he made damn sure he wasn't going to get left in the truck. Just as sure as I sit here and type this, Angus sat on that levee with this look in eyes. It was a look of bittersweet melancholy. His spirit was glad to be there, but I swear it was broken as well. He knew it'd be the last time he heard and witnessed the birds he so loved come in to roost. It'd be his last sunset with his master by his side, gun in hand. We sat there till after dark and watched them come in. An act of nature Created for us to enjoy one last time.

To call him a dog was an undertstatement. He was my best friend.

I suppose one reason we love our dog so much is that he possesses the virtues of life that man so desparately makes an attempt to master. I guess the reason we love them so much is that they are the quintessence of the term "friend". Angus has been all over the southeastern and part of the southwestern states with me. He was with me when I was still a boy up to being a man. He was there through so much. He was always there to greet me at the door. I suppose gun dog owners, because they have usually trained their dog to a certain degree, have a disposition to take their dog with them many places where normal owners do not. Angus was everything from a bowman in the canoe to a rock hound, to an oil changer. He was by my side at anytime where it was possible for him to tag along.

I don't wish on my worst enemy to see their dog die from kidney disease. I personally feel it is a damned shame that the number 2 killer of dogs is basically a death sentence. I really hope the veterinarian community will continue to step up to the plate and take some major steps at addressing this disease- and addressing veterinarians to come to a mutual agreement on facts of the disease. I went to three different vets and all had conflicting views. I called MSU where my cousin's wife works and was able to access some folks there for advice. I tried k/d (I think this sped up his decline in health those last couple weeks), I tried home meals, spring water, subcutaneous fluids, tums, the aluminum calcium pills (name of medication has left me), fish oils, Vitamin E, drammamine, Pepcid AC, chicken broth, beef broth, meals liquified in a blender, etc, etc. I tried everything I could within my financial means. To be sure, Angus and I fought a good fight. He wasn't a dog lacking in effort. It seems most run-of-the-mill vets just want to sell you a bag of k/d and send them home to die. Get CBC checks done everytime on your dogs for their checkup. Make sure it is a CBC. Do not assume your vet is doing a CBC. A lot of vets do not have a machine to do a CBC. If you catch it early, you can prolong their life. A word of advice though: if your dog is in end stage renal failure and is exhibiting copious vomiting, his end is near. I called the veterinarian that Sunday morning to come put Angus down Monday morning. I wanted one last night with him.

Another vet had told me to rub some karo syrup on his gums- "It may perk him up a little and he may even try eating something." I did and it worked, I almost thought about calling off the inevitable for just one more day with him, but I knew it was wishful thinking.

I took a few pics of him while lying in the bed petting him and telling him what I always did at night, "You're a good boy." I cried and cried and cried, and I honestly believe he was mourning too. He knew beyond a shadow of a doubt what was near.

Some folks don't think about people and things dying and the ultimate reality that death means no more in this life. It means never again. For some reason, I do. It sounds morbid, but almost every morning when I wake up my subconscious reminds me about the realities of life. Weird, I know; I assume events from the past have somehow instilled this acceptance and acknowledgement of the facts of life. In saying that, the beauty and tragedy of being with Angus that last night and having our favorite time together (right before bed) was that I knew, this was it. In my life, this is the last time I will know the dog Angus. In my life, this "thing" would never ever exist again.

That next morning at about 5:30 I woke up to Angus vomiting. I was standing over him, and after he vomited, he was so weak that he was just going to lie down right where it was. But the sound he made (after he had finished throwing up) to this day breaks my heart. He made a half sigh/ half groan. I imagine if he could have talked he would have said, " I have had enough, Master."

Of course I didn't let him lie down I caught him and picked him and took him to his bed. He was in bad shape. If I'd have known he was going to be that bad, I would've called the vet a hundred years ago. But the karo syrup idea (or perhaps sheer destiny?) apparently made me believe he was doing better than he actually was. He was in his time of dying. I freaked out and called the vet. He said he would get up and come over and put him down.

What was so hard was looking down at this frail "dog" lying on his bed, where he so readily minded to go when given the command "get in ya' bed", and watching him die with every breath. He couldn't even muster the strength to rest his bones away from a puddle of the very liquid that was killing him. Looking down at him, I remembered when he could jump head high, flat-footed, and grab a limb from a tree in my parents' backyard and tear it off. I remember when he could pick up a limit for 5 men and truly steal the show on a hunt. I kid you not, Angus was proud of himself and his looks and ability. And I kid you not, in his last days he would look away if he saw me trying for a picture. And now he couldn't even gather strength to die in a spot with dignity... I truly believe he was ashamed of the condition he was in.

So, I turned the lights off except for a lamp and lied there with him, dreading the sight of lights coming up the driveway. We lied there, as he died and I watched, and were taught a lesson in the fundamental facts of life. I said nothing much except, "You're a good boy, you were always such a good boy." The training books say to hold off on excessive praise and reminding the pup that he is a good boy, it'll break concentration, etc, etc. The training books, however, do not address what to do while lying in wait for death in the form of a sterile syringe to arrive.

It's funny though, almost like Angus got one last punch in on the veterinarian. I left the door open to the living room, but I have a glass door on the exterior of it. I assume because it was dark out and no glare from the lamp, that the vet thought the door was open. It was not. I saw the lights coming up the driveway and hugged Angus just a little bit tighter, we had just a little bit longer. All of a sudden, WHAM, the vet walked right into the glass door. How in the hell he didn't break it is beyond me. Even Angus made an attempt to bark. But, unfortunately, the vet had the last and final blow to win the fight.

The vet asked if I was ready, I was. One tends to forget until the time comes what it is like to be the arbitrater of death for another living thing until the time arrives.

So again we lied together as the vet found the perfect place- a shaved area where another vet had been giving him fluids- to inject Angus with poison that would stop his heart. A simple, thin piece of steel, with a fluid perfectly designed to so perfectly end the existence of a perfect animal who is so perfectly designed and complex in his make up, met just above his right foot in a vein that fed blood to one of the four legs that drove as hard as any dog I have ever seen work.

Some of my first words to Angus were probably ones dealing with a command or introduction of a command. But as death made it's way to his lungs and then his heart, my last words to him were words of praise. I only imagine it was perfectly timed that just before he went the last thing he heard was, "You're a good boy." That's all I asked God for- was for that to be the last thing he heard me say. And it was.

Foggy eyes and a stiff body, Angus was gone and so was a little part of me. Because time is such a powerful thing, it takes something as momentous as death to escape it. Whoever or whatever it is that reminds me everyday that today could be the last day- for myself or others, reminded me at that moment that I was seeing what It was preparing me for- now and in the future. Life begins with happiness and ends with sadness. But I guess time, which seems so cold and disconnected from human emotion, knows that if it carries on with unending and constant motion a human will be healed. So the argument could be made that life begins with happiness and ultimately ends with happiness, because time cannot erase memories; so surely it cannot erase existence. Regardless, time moves on, but Angus does not. And so, that is death. That is life. They are equal and synonymous.

And as far as I am concerned, so is a man and his dog.

Job 12:7-10 Ask the animals, and they will teach you.

I read this somewhere and it fits perfectly to my dog: Angus, born a dog, died a gentleman.

"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/
simplepeddler
Veteran

Postby simplepeddler » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:39 pm

thanks for posting............
Down South Gratton
Veteran

Postby Down South Gratton » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:42 pm

My Chesapeake Bristol and I out on the boat doing a swim day staying in shape.
Attachments
image.jpg
Rack em and stack em boy's
Tedl10
Duck South Addict

Postby Tedl10 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:17 pm

Case enjoying a tractor ride at 9 weeks.

at 13 weeks

Cash's Loaded Gun - Case

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after. It's a reckonin" - Doc Holliday

Ted Lloyd, Jr.
Blake Williamson
Duck South Addict
Location: Probably on the Pearl River setting at the cabin with a beer in hand with Ol'Jake beside me.

Postby Blake Williamson » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:49 am

Meet my newest member to our family Zeek...He is a pup off of Jake... This season he will be picking up birds!
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
simplepeddler
Veteran

Postby simplepeddler » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:39 pm

1452435_604752289574428_1390092115_n.jpg

Quaid von Last Chance getting it done today
Greenhead329
Veteran

Postby Greenhead329 » Sat May 10, 2014 12:13 pm

My boy working a sharptail grouse in Idaho

Been awhile since I posted anything in the hunting dog thread....here's a couple of pics
All I know is... A wise rooster don't bury his head when a chicken hawk is around...he keeps his eyes on his chickens

Dude...Why'd you make the homeless guy pay for supper?
Greenhead329
Veteran

Postby Greenhead329 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:10 pm

My new little man "Cache"
All I know is... A wise rooster don't bury his head when a chicken hawk is around...he keeps his eyes on his chickens

Dude...Why'd you make the homeless guy pay for supper?

Return to “Gun Dog Forum”