glossary of retreiver terms....

Retrievers are one of the most enjoyable aspects of duck and goose hunting. Let's talk about some working dogs.

Moderator: Gun Dog Moderators

goosebruce
Duck South Addict

glossary of retreiver terms....

Postby goosebruce » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:37 pm

I know we've got several folks new to here, and sometimes the terminology we use goes over folks heads. Heres a link to a glossery I wrote a couple years ago with a list of terms that might help decipher some of the jargon. My friends at amite river hrc put it on their website so it'd be kept around, and people could use it whenever they need to refer to something. Hope it helps someone.

http://www.arhrc.com/Glossery.html

travis
Last edited by goosebruce on Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:00 pm

This one is my favorite.
Beer dawg- the last dog to run in an hrc event. No alcohol is allowed during the test. So immedately following the last dog's run, the sound of coolers opening and tops popping drowns out the dog's barking.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
Grommet
Duck South Addict

Postby Grommet » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:41 pm

I liked this one.

(4) to go straight on a blind retrieve, from the line, to the bird, without being stopped and handled, i.e., line the blind, Steve's sign off moniker. Lining the blind is the ultimate in control, because a dog took his initial line and held it until the final destination. It feels great, and always is accompanied by large cheers from the gallery or your training group.
"Just because you are a character doesn't mean you have character." Mr. Wolf
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:45 pm

Grommet wrote:I liked this one.

(4) to go straight on a blind retrieve, from the line, to the bird, without being stopped and handled, i.e., line the blind, Steve's sign off moniker. Lining the blind is the ultimate in control, because a dog took his initial line and held it until the final destination. It feels great, and always is accompanied by large cheers from the gallery or your training group.

Tru dat!
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
bodeen
Veteran

Postby bodeen » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:09 pm

I really appreciate posting this glossary... It'll help me understand some things a little better...
gator
Duck South Sponsor

Postby gator » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:06 pm

awesome!!!

thanks for sharing.......this should be a sticky!!!

gator
Justin Harrison
HRCH Harrison's Eight Gauge
HRCH Eight Gauge's Mountain Man

click link below for:
SKUL - Upcoming Book Series and Blog
8 GAUGE STUDIOS - Hunting Stories Online
rustypjr
Duck South Addict

Postby rustypjr » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:04 am

gator wrote:awesome!!!

thanks for sharing.......this should be a sticky!!!

gator

I agree.
Rusty Parsons
goosebruce
Duck South Addict

Postby goosebruce » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:09 am

I dont get to post stuff like that anymore. When I had the kidney stones so bad, Id get hopped up on percocet and drink maragritas and type all night. hehe. Never got time for that stuff anymore.

Gator, if you think it'd help someone, post a link on your place. travis
rlhesson

Postby rlhesson » Tue May 01, 2007 1:04 pm

I am new to all this and was trying to look at the glossary of terms but its a dead link. I figured I would help others out that might be in the same boat. So I checked out the cache on that site and dug it up. I didnt format it, I'm at work and dont have time at the moment, but Here is the glossary:

PLAIN ENGLISH RETRIEVER GLOSSARY
Back -
A verbal and / or visual command which means go back away from handler. The word is used when a dog is sent from a handler's side, or when the dog is asked to go back after being stopped.
Bird - Bumper
The term bird is used interchangeably. The actual object thrown might be a bumper or a bird. Just like the term gun station, winger, or bird boy is used interchangeably to mean where the bird comes from.
Bird Boy -
???
Blind - Blind Retrieve
A retrieve the dog didn't see go down. A dog is lined up, sent in the direction of the bird, stopped on a whistle in the field, and directed by voice and hand signals toward the bird. Blinds are totally trained responses, as nothing in a dog's genetics make them want to do this.
Blind Drill -
Well, its any drill which is built off a known blind (like a pattern blind or a school blinds). To teach a dog to deal with added factors like marks added in with a blind.
Burn - Continous Stimulation
Burn is a longer continuos impulse. Also Some training techniques require holding the button down until dog complies (which is later referred to as direct pressure), and the sequence would be 'command' Burn until complies. Some training techniques use indirect pressure… Which would be a sequence like command Nick command. Most advanced training uses indirect pressure.
CC - Collar Conditioning.
A method making the dog understand the e-collar. E-collar corrections only work when a dog understands the WHY of the correction and the HOW to get out of it.
Concepts -
A word that means the ideal of something, the obvious definition, or when referring to marks or blinds, typically means a defined concept. Like maybe marks that land in line with each other (a dog must recognize the concept to do this consistently, so you are testing genetic talent, AND training), or a blind retrieve up a channel like a ditch (the concept being the dog understands to stay in water where the land is much easier path, but will still get out of water at the proper point). To further confuse the definition of concept, each group of dog people use different terms for the same concepts.
Diversion -
A typical diversion is a bird (mark) thrown in the dogs path while it is returning to it's handler with an already retrieved bird. The retriever is expected to ignore the diversion and complete it's retrieve. A diversion is a factor which is normally utilized by the judges in a hunt test to test the dogs for switching and in some cases to further test the dogs memory.
Drills -
Specific actions designed to teach a specific task. The drills we mention below are 3 handed cast (also referred to as baseball) where a dog sits at the pitchers mound, the handler at home, and the dog takes casts to 1st. 2nd. or 3rd. base as directed.
Factors -
Factors go hand in hand with suction and could be almost anything which the dog might encounter during a retrieve. Factors are generally environmental. Dogs might fade with a crosswind, fade down a side hill, square a ditch or road crossed at an angle. The distance from the handler is a factor as it could cause a dog which want to break down and hunt when run upwind. The factors and the suction on a blind retrieve are what determines the difficulty of it much more than distance alone does.
FF- Force Fetch. -
A magic process that gives you control over a dogs mouth, control over a dog's not wanting to go, and teaches your dog to deal with pressure. All modern training programs involve ff at varying degree's. After ff, fetch is now an enforceable command, and a dog's mouth is under control the same way his tail end is after you teach and enforce sit. It's no fun, in fact its the only part of dog training that isn't fun. Usually accomplished by pinching a dog's ear until it gets retrieve object in mouth, and the timing is critical for dog to understand he STOPS the pressure. Many steps to get to there of course, and many steps after.
FTP - (Force To Pile)
A drills where a dog is forced from the line to go toward a pile of bumpers which has been identified to the dog. The dog may be stopped and forced again (with the e-collar) at midpoint to the back pile (pile at end of line the dog was sent on … told you line has a bunch of definitions).
Handle - Handler
To stop a dog and change it's direction with a hand signal. Marks thrown in tests and trials are expected to be picked up by a dog using his talents, therefore handling on a mark (he saw) is bad. But blinds are expected to be handled on, as they are a handling exercise.
Holding Blind / Winger Blind -
On the way to the retrieving line, the dogs waiting to run sit with their handlers in holding blinds, basically tarps and poles that obscure their vision of the goings on. The bird boys/wingers (big slingshots that throw birds for marks) / or gun stations are the same type of blind out in the field or hidden in the terrain that the birds come from.
Honor - Honor Dog
Honoring is when a dog actually sits and watches another dog work. He is called the honor dog. The dog doing the actual retrieving is called the Working Dog. Sometimes the honor dog is asked to perform a specific task but normally he is simply required to be a quiet but alert spectator.
LINE-
(1) where a retriever and handler are to watch the birds go down (the marks) and send for the blind from.
(2) the path a dog takes to the bird
(3) Lining is the action of a handler to get his dog on the right path to take a good initial line on a blind retrieve.
Literal Casting -
Literal casting is a method of handling a dog in which the handler directs the dog toward the destination on a direct route from it present location. The angle of the handlers arm while giving the visual command to the dog always has a direct relationship to the actual angle to the bird.
Mark - Marked Retrieve
A marked retrieve is a bird a dog sees fall. Might be 1, 2, 3 or 4 marks that a dog is expected to watch go down and remember where they are. Marking is a genetic talent that can be enhanced by training, exposure, and environment.
Nick - Momentary Stimulation
Nick is a short impulse of an e-collar. Also referred to as momentary stimulation.
OB - Obedience Training.
Sit, here, heel. Usually introduced in early puppy training and made solid in formal OB training around 6 months or so. Choke collars, pinch collars, ecollar (electric collars), heeling sticks, & check cords (long leashes 50 foot) are usually implemented during this process.

Over -
Another verbal and / or visual signal to a dog on a blind retrieve. Left (or right) arm extended, and dog is to go 90 degrees left or right.
PB - Pattern Blinds
Refers to drills done in beginning blind running, usually they are taught blinds (school blinds, see, lots of words mean the same thing) where the dog knows the location of the blinds and which are repeated. Also, pattern blinds can be relativly easy blinds that are repeated to simply build one concept. We use the term pattern blind to generally mean any blind we teach off of, i.e., a blind that doesn't have anything else associated with it (like marks).
Pressure -
Pressure is a way to make dog comply with command. Might be e-collar, might be leash correction, might simply be making dog repeat action until desired result (this is called ATTRITION). The science of dog training is simple. The art of dog training is much more difficult to master. Using pressure in the correct amounts at the correct time is a big part of the art.
Suction -
Suction is caused by an external factor and it (suction) exists when that factor causes a dog to go off course on a blind or mark by causing the dog to be drawn toward something. Suction might be caused by another blind or mark perviously run, might be terrain, or other environmental factors. Could also be caused by scent or a point of land jutting out into water. Most advanced training deals with teaching a dog to deal with Suction and the other factors of a blind. Imagine a 100 yard blind retrieve straight across a round pond ... swim the dog to other bank and he gets the bird. Now imagine the same pond, with several points of land he has to get in and out of, the memory of 3 birds he has already seen shot and picked up, and the scent of a bird crate blowing across the place is supposed to exit. Each one of these things create Suction on this blind, any of which might cause a dog to go off line and in need of being handled.
Swim-by -
Swim By - is a transition drill that basically gets a dog to do something in the water that doesn't make sense to him-he learns to go where you ask, regardless of what HE thinks. Ideally done ona square pond, with bumpers straight across from line. On return, the dog is stopped and cast to one end of the pond, and first few trips you may hav to walk along bank, recasting each time dog sucks to bank. Ends when yu can cast either direction, having dog hold the over,exiting the bank, and returning to you. End result is a dog that takes an over--a phase you shouldn't be IN for more than 2 days, unless you aren't ready.
click here for a reference article about the swim by drill.
T & TT - Single T & Double T
Both are drills that have a back pile (usually the same one from ftp as dog already knows where they are, and has an obligation to get going to get that bird at the end of line, and they have over piles (hence the name t cause the piles make a t) so the dog can be stopped halfway and cast to an over pile.
Walking Singles -
Walking Singles is not a dating service for folks that work out. This is another type of drill where a bird boy walks and throws single retrieves for the dog. One here, walks past the fall, one here. A good way to tune up a dog's marking, and a good way for a dog to gets lots of marks of a similar (or different) type in a short period of time for him to see the difference.
Winger -
???

I'm still hip shooting ya'll, so if I forget something, or double up on it, please pipe in. Steve, ya gonna make the plain english flow chart? I'll start where we left off, and try to add the hunt test lingo a newbie would hear in the first weekend training day or hunt.

Beer dawg- the last dog to run in an hrc event. No alcohol is allowed during the test. So immedately following the last dog's run, the sound of coolers opening and tops popping drowns out the dog's barking.

Socialize- (1) to expose a dog to the big world around him. To teach him his place in this world, and how he should be a good canine citizen. Socialization skills make a dog a much better student, and a much better dog. (2) The second defintion of socialize is what we do on the tailgate after a hunt test. Usually accompained by adult beverages (see beer dawg for more details!) & lots of stories.

Whine- (1) the annoying noise made by a dog (2) the annoying noise made by people who spent more time socializing and not training when it comes time for ribbons. Whining at hunt tests (either kind) is frowned upon.

Pop- when a dog is sent for a mark or a blind, and he stops on his own and turns and looks at the handler. Not a good thing.

Break- when a dog goes before being sent. Not a good thing.

Controlled break- when a dog goes, but stops. A very much judgement call, and the cause of much whining defintion #2. Not a good thing.

Creeping- when a dog moves toward the bird when it comes out. Not in an effort to go, but moving forward towards bird. Can get dog in blast of gun, and can cause dog to not swing toward next mark. Not a good thing.

Bugging- when a dog is being lined up, usually on a blind, or pile work, and moves his head side to side to keep from looking at the retrieve. It is a dog's way of getting out of work, and should be dealt with as such. Not a good thing.

Flairing- a dog flares the line to a pile, a place where he has had collar pressure, or an object along his route. Not a good thing.

No go- Well, when a dog won't go when sent (blind or mark). In akc hunt tests, its an automatic failure. In hrc hunt tests, it's counted as a cast refusual. Not a good thing is an understatement.

Crate training- teaching a pup that his crate is 'his' place. A place to be quiet in, never to soil in, and to sit down and rest. Sounds like the easiest thing in the world, and it is. The very begining of a dog you can take anywhere, and travel with.

Posion bird- a bird thrown that dog can't pick up until something else is done first. For example, maybe a posion bird blind, where a dog see's a bird go down, must not retreive it until a blind is run first.

Delayed marks- a delay built in between the marks, to stretch out the memory required of a dog. Maybe shoot a bird, reload, call some more, then rest of birds come out. Maybe a double comes out, and you pick up one bird, and then another double comes out (called a double-double usually).

In-line marks (Over and under)- a marking concept, where a bird lands inline with another bird.

Mom & pop marks- where a bird comes out of both sides of a gun station.. One bird comes out to left, one bird to right.

Angled in (or out)- instead of a throw being 90 degrees out from a gun station, it can be angled in toward the line, or angled back away from the line. Sometimes makes a signifcant difference in the difficulty.

Around the horn- when the first bird comes out from the left, then middle, then right (or vice-versy).

Down the shore marks- marks thrown down a shore, usually a pair, where a dog must swim down the shore and past the gun stations to get them. The swim past the far gun station for a memory bird is particulary tough.

Converging birds- where a bird comes from left to right, and another bird right to left, and the falls overlap or are in-line. Imagine a dotted line in the air follwing the path of the marks, and converging birds would have crossing lines.

Go bird- last bird down in a mutiple mark sitution. usually the first bird picked up.

Money bird- the difficult bird of a test. A dog is said to have picked up the money bird when he is clean on a bird most dogs make or break a test on.

Natural selction- picking up 3,2,1... reverse order of the order the birds fell. This is what dogs do naturally.

Secondary selection- where the handler/dog team picks up the last bird down, then picks up the shortest remaining bird no matter the order it fell.

Primary selection- always picking up the shortest bird, no matter the order. More of a training thing than a test thing, because it takes guts (or a fool) to swing a dog off a go bird in a test. Primary selection is often misunderstood and misquoted.

Field trials- competive events placing dog against dog, where the handlers and trainer look down on hunt testers in general.

Hunt tests- noncompetive events where the dogs run against the test and the handlers and trainers make fun of the field trialers. Werid huh? They both make fun of the other bunch, and it usually centers on the clothes the other wears.. i.e. camo for ht's and white coats for ft's. Don't get caught up in all that junk, it's dog's picking stuff up and bringing it back.

Test dog- A dog that is run on a test to show all the handlers assembled the mechanics of the test. This dog is usually not entered in the test.

Bye dog- a dog not entered in test that stands in for a part of the test. For instances like the last dog of the day can honor, they will run a bye dog so that dog can honor.

Essential hunt test gear- Bring everything you own, and you still won't have what you need. From insulated bib to shorts, rain wear, dry boots, and waders... An art to having exactly what you need at a hunt, that I certianly haven't mastered yet.

Marshal- the person at the hunt test stake you see to get your dog in line to run.

Dog number- The number you are given at check in that morning for YOUR dog. This is the number listed in the catelog, and the number your points reciet has on it, and the number you must give the judges. Write it on your hand when they give it to you, because you will forget it when walking to line and feel stupid.

Running order number- yes, dog #3 can run #4. Running order number is the order the marshall gives you to run. Rumor has it akc events run in catalog order numbers, so maybe that is clearer to those folks. However, for the rest of you with a dog number, and a running order number, this is NOT your dog number. Occasionaly an errant marshall will want to run an hrc test in order, and these people should be flogged.

Thank you judges- the most important thing you will say all weekend. Hopefully you say it on the line twice a day, and then again that night when you get a ribbon. But regardless of your run, thank the judges for giving up their weekend so you can play. Your marshall and the club members too.

UKC- United kennel club- worlds largest registry of pure breed hunting dogs.

HRC- Hunting Retriver Club- the organization that puts on the hunt tests recognized by UKC.

AKC- American Kennel Club- Worlds largest registry of dogs. They sanction hunt tests and field trials both. However, in another really goofy thing of the dog world, UKC doesn't recognize AKC titles and vice versa. Once again, don't get caught up in all the rehotric.

NAHRA- North American Hunting Retreiver Assoication. Another hunt test organization that is currently bogged down in turmoil. Sad, because that means some people might lose the chance to test their dogs.

Rubber duckies (DFT'S)- Dead fowl trainers are rubber ducks used as training aids to simulate the look and heft of a duck. NAHRA ok'd the use of these in place of real ducks in a few tests, and it's the subject of much of their current turmoil.

Title- once a dog passes (qualifies is the akc word) a predeterined number of tests at that level, he is awarded a title by the sanctioning body. For example, a started dog gets 4 passes (each day has 2 series, land and water, and that is one test and one pass) he is awarded a SHR title.. started hunting retreiver title. Field trial titles have to do with wins at the level entered, along with addational placements. There are also show, agilty, and conformation titles, which I know nothing about.

Live flyer- a live duck, tossed into the air and shot, as a mark in training or testing. A requirement in akc tests, a rareity in hrc events.

Upland test- an hrc test for upland type hunting.. where the dog quaters (works the cover back and forth to find a bird) and scents a bird, flushes it (puts it into flight), and gunners on both sides of the handler try to kill it (it's a live bird, usually a chukker).

Grand- a twice a year hrc event for hunting retreiver champions only. The best hunting dogs in the world. HRC recognizes dogs at this level with an addational title.

Master national- once a year akc event for master hunter dogs only. An event similar to the grand, but in another oddity of the dog world, akc makes these dogs quailfy by passing a number of tests per year, but doesn't recognize these dogs with an addational title. Go figure.

NAHRA Invintational- Regional tests, but for all test levels for dogs that have passed a certain number of tests in a year.

There ya go... I didn't get into the particular test levels, because that is more than a defintion, thats a discussion. I didn't get into what is a basic dog, a transtition dog, or an advanced dog, because I think steve could do better on that on his flow chart. For the intended audience of this, just ask when we have a thread and you don't understand the terminolgoy is the best advice I got right now. travis
huntergirlhotty
Veteran

dictionary in the making

Postby huntergirlhotty » Tue May 01, 2007 7:47 pm

what about feathershyness and watershyness............guess I will have to start a diehard dogtraining dictionary ........
rlhesson

Postby rlhesson » Tue May 01, 2007 7:56 pm

Anything you can add would be great as I am learning. It looks like from the glossary I found Travis wrote the original. I will try to get around to formatting the post.
Glenn
Veteran

Postby Glenn » Sat May 05, 2007 10:56 pm

primary selection is pulling off the last bird down and picking up any bird. Your defintion states the handler picks up the shortest bird no matter the order the birds went down. The purpose of primary selection is to get the toughest bird first no matter the distance.
goosebruce
Duck South Addict

Postby goosebruce » Sun May 06, 2007 7:18 pm

told you it was often misquoted! i shudda said its normally used for the short bird... as its a method developed (and/or typicallys used) to beat indents, and go birds as punch birds. A side effect is usually more control on the line, but its a fine fine line most don't or shouldnt walk. I can't say Ive ever primary selected on anything but the shortest bird of a test, but the actual defintion would be to pull off the last one down, and pick up the bird you think would be the best way to pick apart a test. Makes me feel pretty good glen read all the way through something I wrote 3 years ago drugged up! hehe.

rl, thanks for digging it up bro. travis
Glenn
Veteran

Postby Glenn » Sun May 06, 2007 7:43 pm

When I think of primary selection it reminds me of a national amateur in the early 90's in steamboat springs, co. Cody's RD won the national because of him primary selecting in the 7 or 8 series. I was there. The retired mark was about 400 yds but could have been more. I think he was the only dog to do the series without a handle. It was really hot and humid that day. Alot of dogs were give out before even sent for that long retired gun.

This is a really good forum that I like to visit alot. Keep up the good work goosebruce.

Glenn
rlhesson

Postby rlhesson » Wed May 09, 2007 5:45 pm

Heres that old glossary actually formatted and everything so its readable.

http://web.archive.org/web/200512132253 ... ssery.html

Return to “Gun Dog Forum”