the puppy post....

Retrievers are one of the most enjoyable aspects of duck and goose hunting. Let's talk about some working dogs.

Moderator: Gun Dog Moderators

Woody Commander

Re: the puppy post....

Postby Woody Commander » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:32 pm

My pup is 10 weeks old. I didnt get him until he was 9weeks old. Im new to the whole training deal but Ive read this post and its very self explanatory. He is doing great already. Crate training has been a breeze , he gets in the crate when told , hasnt whinned since the first night after i corrected him like described in the puppy post. He sits on command. Already understands NO. This pup has been a real pleasure so far.No problem at all learning what I want him to learn. I do need some help with one thing. How do i make him stay until released. We havent worked on this because I really not sure how im soppose to make him understand STAY ! Just working him on the small things that will be important in the near future like the post says ! THANKS FOR THIS POST AND THANKS FOR ANY HELP YOU GUYS CAN GIVE ME !!
" Wishing a Mallard would fly over this Wood Duck hole"
BucksandDucks
Veteran

Postby BucksandDucks » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:15 am

Woody Commander wrote:My pup is 10 weeks old. I didnt get him until he was 9weeks old. Im new to the whole training deal but Ive read this post and its very self explanatory. He is doing great already. Crate training has been a breeze , he gets in the crate when told , hasnt whinned since the first night after i corrected him like described in the puppy post. He sits on command. Already understands NO. This pup has been a real pleasure so far.No problem at all learning what I want him to learn. I do need some help with one thing. How do i make him stay until released. We havent worked on this because I really not sure how im soppose to make him understand STAY ! Just working him on the small things that will be important in the near future like the post says ! THANKS FOR THIS POST AND THANKS FOR ANY HELP YOU GUYS CAN GIVE ME !!

There should be no "Stay" command. You tell him to sit, he's supposed to sit until released. I release on "Ok", and practice it everywhere all the time. Start in the living room, tell him to sit, release him on "ok" and make a big deal about it. Then gradually make him sit longer periods and further the distance between you too.

When you open a door make him sit, you walk through the door turn around and tell him ok...then he follows you. Take the opportunity to train and reinforce this command any time you can. but in reality sit should mean sit until told to do otherwise.
---"The fool that drinks to drown his sorrows, ought to be told that sorrow knows how to swim" - unknown

HRCH Choctaw's Diamond Bailey SH
HRCH Nature's Fierce Firestorm
Woody Commander

Postby Woody Commander » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:36 pm

Thanks for the help.
" Wishing a Mallard would fly over this Wood Duck hole"
crow
Duck South Addict

Postby crow » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:33 am

My Boykin is 11 weeks old and I use the "sit" and no other command. I started by clicker training for sit then using her feeding time for training sit until "ok" when I put her food down holding her longer and longer until release. Then I moved to training with with treats in the house, backing away from her a couple of steps to release. In a week, I can now turn and walk across the room before releasing her. They will pick it up really fast if "sit" was ingrained really well.
crow
Duck South Addict

Postby crow » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:34 am

Just saw how old this post was....duh! But, my pup is till smart no matter how dumb the trainer is!
Doc & Nash
Duck South Addict

Postby Doc & Nash » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:50 am

I've got a new pup on the way and the first thing I thought about was re-reading this post. Travis this is the best common sense advice anyone could give to start out a puppy. Regardless of the goals weither it be just a pet or a field trial competitor.
Conservation is number one to all true outdoorsmen

Trey Edwards
UH HRCH Nashs' Legend MH RIP 8/11/02- 10/12/12
The yet to be named Chocolate Dawg

Return to “Gun Dog Forum”