Retrieving Issues

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
hey_bo

Retrieving Issues

Postby hey_bo » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:24 pm

So I've run into a problem while training my lab. We finished force fetch about two weeks ago and have moved to the ground. We started marking last Monday and he's not too sure about retrieving. Force fetch was easy, he took pressure well and held bumpers of all sizes well. But once on the ground he will take a "back command" about 80% of the time and pick up the bumper. Other times he either doesn't go after the bumper or tries to run off with it. He's kept on a lead so he isn't successful trying to run away. Any tips on how to reinforce the back command and bring his drive up some more?
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Re: Retrieving Issues

Postby missed mallards » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:04 pm

Force fetch takes a lot of spirit out of the dog. It's a fundamental process though. There's nothing better than a cleanly force fetched dog!

Take him and give him some fun bumpers.

For a few days mix in a fun bumper with a "marked" bumper. Get him excited to retrieve again. It'll come. Be patient with him

Ivwould clean up "here" if he's not coming straight back after the retrieve. I imagine your using "back" on pole work or marked retrieves?

Training is always 1 step forward 2 back lol. Have fun with him.
If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it

Return to “General Discussion Forum”