Food Rations while hunting

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
JMitch
Veteran

Food Rations while hunting

Postby JMitch » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:36 pm

Just wondering how much more yall fed yalls dogs during hunting season. I usually feed her another 1/2 portion after the hunt. Just interested at what some other people do?
"If its not loaded, its just an expensive stick."
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Re: Food Rations while hunting

Postby GulfCoast » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:12 pm

I feed heavier the night before a hunt, as it takes many hours for a dog to turn that food into energy.
So many ducks, so little time....

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH (2005-2017)
HRCH Tipsy MH
Zsa-Zsa Puppy
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:23 pm

I know lots of people that will only feed at night to help avoid gastric torsion (turned stomach). I have always fed in the morning though. Going to start only feeding at night on the new pup for that reason as well.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
Long Cut
Veteran

Postby Long Cut » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:25 pm

Maybe I'm wrong but my dog gets a plain biscuit from the gas station on the way to the blind (he's somewhat come to expect it and gets his feelings hurt if he doesn't get it). He has an hour to digest it before we get out to hunt. I feed him when we get back home which is usally 2-3 hours after we hunt. He is normal a morning eater but I just don't feel good giving him a full feeding before we hunt. I give him the same amount during season that he gets other times of the year plus his pre hunt biscuit.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”