Motivating the here command

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Motivating the here command

Postby teul2 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:32 am

Guys, what can I do to motivate the here command to inspire some urgency? My pup is getting lazy on his here, and sometimes tries to ignore it.

3.5 month old chessie male.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Re: Motivating the here command

Postby GulfCoast » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:47 am

Until you collar condition him, you have to make it fun. Call my cell and I can give you a "fun drill" I have used with a few different dogs to work on that if he is food/praise motivated. Too lazy to type a lot today. :D
So many ducks, so little time....

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH (2005-2017)
HRCH Tipsy MH
Zsa-Zsa Puppy
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:09 pm

Since he knows the command, and, seeing GC's post, assuming he isn't collar conditioned, you can always have a helper hold him as a controlled "refusal" and use a check rope to correct the refusal.

Light pressure, nothing harsh. When he gets to you, make him think that you think he just hung the moon, but not too many times, lest he get tired of having steak for dinner every night... Before long, he will be ripping to get to you. From there, you just roll over into higher standards being expected, i.e., refusals are intentional and are not an option (much easier to do once cc'ed.)

One thing I've always done with a pup is make it an enjoyable experience whenever he comes to me when called. Not commanded, but called. It makes the process that much easier later on- when he knows that good things are waiting for him if he comes to me.
"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/
chevy01234
Duck South Addict

Postby chevy01234 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:18 am

SkippyJ
Duck South Addict

Postby SkippyJ » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:58 pm

B3
Duck South Addict

Postby B3 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:42 pm

I use treats at that age but have had one that I did cc to here at 3 months
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:41 pm

I used a lead. let him get some distance on him and then sternly said "here" if/when he didn't, I would pull the lead to me whilest saying "here". the more stubborn, the more sternly the lead was pulled. Has worked well for all of my dogs. Mine now will break my knee if I say "here" with a stern tone.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:19 pm

Well, ole Axle is with Steve Vires now getting CC and FF. So we should be able to work out any differences after he gets back. I spent 2 weeks on the road for work and after the first week, my wife had enough of him willfully disobeying her. So the 2nd Monday of my road trip involved a stop in Como.

The pup is smart. He knew when I could and couldn't get him. And flat out knew the wife couldn't / wouldn't really reprimand him. Or at least not enough that bothered him.
We'll be at Steve's Feb 11th for the SFHRC training day and to get some hands on training experience for the wife and boy.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:29 am

Steve will pull out the best in him, betcha. Plan on being there on the 11th, look forward to seeing yall.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”