Loss of appetite

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
ShotgunSP
Veteran

Loss of appetite

Postby ShotgunSP » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:03 am

My 18 month old male lab isn't eating like normal. He's been on pro-plan since coming off puppy food, and had an aggressive appetite. Over the last couple of weeks, he's cut way down on his consumption. (Our vet recommended 3 cups, twice a day). He will take a few bites, and he's through. Every few days, he'll eat the whole portion.

He has no symptoms of illness, and his energy level is still high. His water consumption is still normal.

I've switched his food over to Fromm on the recommendation of a buddy yesterday, but have yet to notice any change in appetite.

He was checked out at the vet 10 days ago. He was a bit gassy, but otherwise everything checked out. We did not get an xray, but his bowel movements don't lead me to believe he has a blockage.

Thoughts/suggestions?
reservoirdawg
Regular

Re: Loss of appetite

Postby reservoirdawg » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:28 pm

6 cups a day just sounds like a lot of food. All our dogs have always eaten much less when it's hot than during winter. He's probably fine.
Drakeshead
Duck South Addict

Postby Drakeshead » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:34 pm

Mine does not like the shredded Pro Plan, but loves the Performance.
Long Cut
Veteran

Postby Long Cut » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:07 pm

Mine started that about 2 months ago. I feed once a day. Sportsmanship pride purple bag. He'd started eating a whole bowl every 2-3 days. Lost a noticeable amount of weight. I chalked it up to hot weather. People started making fun of him being so skinny on a dove hunt so I changed to pro plan and he immediately started eating the whole bowl. Just about a month into it he's gained all his lost weight. I guess he just got tired of the othe food. No other explanation I can think of.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”