Ask DS: Lab Kennel/Breeder Advice

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
brake man
Veteran

Ask DS: Lab Kennel/Breeder Advice

Postby brake man » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:22 pm

I posted this on the discussion page but wanted to post it here, as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My brother is looking to buy a puppy for the family and is looking for a lab. This will not be a hunting dog but will be a family dog as he and my sister-in-law have four girls (9 through 16) who really want a dog. They have a pool, fenced in backyard, and lots of hard surface floors (which are a plus in this case). I have recommended they look for a medium size lab that is maybe a British lab for size and what I have seen over the years for a generally "lower octane" drive level, especially for a family dog. We have discussed it will be good to try to get a good breeding with parents that have clear hips, eyes, etc. to hopefully avoid some issues in the future. Hunting and/or field trial/hunt test pedigree are not important in this case. "Backyard breeders" make us both nervous for various reasons and traditional, high-dollar gun dog places are more than they will need or want to spend. All this to ask if anyone knows of any litters ready to go home now or soon from a breeding of two good dogs who are great with families, other dogs, furniture, etc. One of my nieces suffered a bag concussion nearly three months ago and is still dealing with lots of issues, missed school, etc. and the doctors and therapists have recommended a puppy might be something good for her recovery that may takes more days, weeks, or (God forbid) months. If you know of some good kennels or breeders to recommend in the Memphis or surrounding areas, please let me know. I'm in the Nashville area and can check on things over this way if you know of someone. (Looking for black or yellow and either male or female, though I think female might fit in with all the womenfolk at his house.) Many thanks for the help!
brake man

Return to “General Discussion Forum”