My dog's feet are sore

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
GreenheadJim
Veteran

My dog's feet are sore

Postby GreenheadJim » Wed May 28, 2014 7:35 am

I went to visit my pup yesterday at the trainer. When I got there he was not in his normal kennel. As I was walking around looking for him, I found him in a kennel with a ground floor. The trainer was there and explained that he put him there because his feet were sore from pacing back and forth in his kennel. He moved him to several different kennels before moving him to one with no concrete. He is working with him to stop pacing back and forth. What will be the best thing to toughen up his feet?
rboudet
Veteran

Re: My dog's feet are sore

Postby rboudet » Wed May 28, 2014 9:49 am

Not much. I have tried the products that toughen the pads but did not work on concrete. Buy horse stall mats and glue them down over the concrete. I had a bad pacer when he was in a kennel environment and this helped. Also, he can try putting pvc pipes across the kennel about two feet apart and a foot off the ground. Slows them down. I have also heard pointer people putting cowbells around the dogs neck while in the kennel. I have seen it work for some. Good luck.
rboudet
Veteran

Postby rboudet » Wed May 28, 2014 9:52 am

What does he mean by "working with him to stop pacing". If possible he should crate him at night.
BrettG
Veteran

Postby BrettG » Wed May 28, 2014 12:56 pm

A kennel pacer is tough to deal with. Hard on paws, tough to keep weight on, and just overall nervousness isn't fun. Crating is best scenario. Just remember when he comes home he'll be fine, some dogs just don't like the kennel environment but thrive at home.
GreenheadJim
Veteran

Postby GreenheadJim » Wed May 28, 2014 1:14 pm

chance
Duck South Addict

Postby chance » Thu May 29, 2014 6:13 am

As Brett said, one that constantly paces the kennel is very tough to stop. I have seen some extremely talented good dogs pace to the point that they wore the pads of their feet down to being raw. The only effective method I have seen in dealing with one is to keep in a vari kennel so the dog did not have the enough space that would allow it to pace.
Good luck with him.
GODFATHER
GRENADA MAFIA
SkippyJ
Duck South Addict

Postby SkippyJ » Thu May 29, 2014 3:09 pm

What Glenn and Brett said. I had one that literally would pace till his pads started to bleed. If he was awake, he paced. Period. Great dog but had to live in a plastic crate in my carport. He was fine with it. HRCH/SH when I sold him.

Chip

Return to “General Discussion Forum”