At what point in development?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
EvanG
Veteran

At what point in development?

Postby EvanG » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:55 am

At what point in development do you feel a dog becomes a "handling dog"? 3-handed casting? Mini-T? Single or Double T? Swim-by? When? What attributes do you need to see to make that assessment?

EvanG
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
“Please don't post anything on the gun dog forum that might have anything to do with dog training.”
― BrettG
EvanG
Veteran

Re: At what point in development?

Postby EvanG » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:19 am

72 views and no one with a clue?

EvanG
“Please don't post anything on the gun dog forum that might have anything to do with dog training.”
― BrettG
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Postby GulfCoast » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:28 am

When the dog can be handled off a mark, and then run a blind with compounding factors (poison bird), then it is a handling dog, versus a "casting dog." Its no great shakes to teach one to "cast." Teaching one to the point it will "handle" is a different animal. YMMV.
So many ducks, so little time....

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH (2005-2017)
HRCH Tipsy MH
Zsa-Zsa Puppy
fishduck
Veteran

Postby fishduck » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:35 am

Opinions are like elbows but here is mine. I consider a dog handling when it is proficient at running cold blinds on land and water.
EvanG
Veteran

Postby EvanG » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:13 pm

― BrettG
BrettG
Veteran

Postby BrettG » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:56 am

The notion still hangs around that a dog through T work is a handling dog though, and those guys are the ones who jump into cold blinds too soon, or at least into longer or more difficult ones too soon.

EvanG[/quote]

What is too soon? Doesn't T teach and reinforce go as sent stop and cast? This is the foundation for doing the things referred to in the replies. You can do all the pattern drills and taught blinds you want but you still have to move to cold blinds at some point. And the dog must be proficient at cold blinds before they can handle the added factors addressed above. For example teaching poison birds on the pattern field is easy but that first time you try to handle off a dead bird in the decoys to a long sailer just off line to that dead bird you get the answer to your question Do you have a handling dog? Just my opinion. I think after about cold blind 500 or so you might get to the handling dog category.
EvanG
Veteran

Postby EvanG » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:19 pm

― BrettG
BrettG
Veteran

Postby BrettG » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:14 pm

Good post Evan. I agree with you. I actually start patterns before I ever do t pattern. I do a 3 legged 60 yd pattern.
EvanG
Veteran

Postby EvanG » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:09 am

To offer my own summation on what a handling dog is I offer the following.

Yes, "handling dog" is a subjective term; too subjective in my opinion. That was why I started this topic in the first place. One person uses the term, and those who hear it perceive a variety of images. I'm attempting to form a more unified definition for the sake of future discussion. I've avoided defining it by using test categories, like 'Senior dog' or 'Master dog' because those are not levels of training. They're only classes of testing. We all know how many dogs are entered in those classes that lack the training to perform competently in them. The owner just has a wish and a hope the dog will somehow survive today!

I believe that once a dog has become competent at his basic handling skills, and has then had enough transition work to demonstrate an understanding and competence at efficiently lining & casting to cold destinations he has become a handling dog. Not necessarily a finished one, but that's a different topic.

EvanG
― BrettG

Return to “General Discussion Forum”