Really dumb question

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Really dumb question

Postby missed mallards » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:21 pm

Here's the scenario

Training:
Dog at heel. Someone throws dummy, dog watches to peak, then immediately watches the ground to mark the fall. Instead of following through.
I don't know if this was something he picked up this season (had 4-6 hunters and many multiple falling birds) or when. He did an unbelievable job for his first season, just had a few simple retrieves that made him stumble.

95% of the time, it's no problem, but that 5% just has it's own challenges. The problem arises when the bird doesn't fall within the 180 degree's for which he's "watching". Say out in front. It's amazing that he picks up the action in what seems the 180, just seems like he has tunnel vision on "that" area. Hence, following through with the mark would broaden his skills.

How do I train him to follow the mark from a to b throughout the arch? Dumb, but I can't quite get him to do it. Needing a little guidance.
If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
KarenKlotthor
Regular

Re: Really dumb question

Postby KarenKlotthor » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:45 am

It might help to use a gun to point and give him something follow.
Big R
Veteran

Postby Big R » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:29 pm

What Karen said +1
If you can't hunt it with a dog, I don't want to hunt it..........
EvanG
Veteran

Postby EvanG » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:03 am

Shoot more flyers, throw more shackled live birds. Give your dog a reason to watch the entire fall. A gun barrel can be no more than a distraction away from the fall unless the dog first has a desire to remain fixed on it.

EvanG
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
“Please don't post anything on the gun dog forum that might have anything to do with dog training.”
― BrettG
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Postby missed mallards » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:39 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I just went to the RTF and finished reading something of very similar characteristics.

The problem is that when a gun goes off, or something is there to assist in finding the air born mark (gun barrel), he "thinks" the bird is suppose to fall. Hence, when he hears a boom, he quickly transitions from Sky to ground as the "treat" is about to be in focus. It's similar to say conditioning. Hear boom, see barrel, find splash/falling bird.

I understand why the dog is doing it. It's a short cut in a ways. in 90% of our hunts, it's effective. Now to address the 10% for which we have problems.

Thinking out loud here.
Well use the clock for all purposes

Place me and dog in the middle. Have someone at 12 throwing toward 5.6.7. This would in theory, make the dog watch up or follow the mark until it peaks overhead? This could be done for crossing shots also, where someone is throwing the bird say 10 feet out in front, yet 50 yards high straight overhead. I would presume having someone at 9 throwing to say 2 would be more ideal as the dog wouldn't have to stop to move/watch. With birds going straight overhead (12 to 6), he'd go back to watching the ground for the fall. A 9 to 2 would/should keep his attention throughout the whole mark? May try it out

What say ya'll?
EvanG
Veteran

Postby EvanG » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:39 pm

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
“Please don't post anything on the gun dog forum that might have anything to do with dog training.”
― BrettG
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Postby missed mallards » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:10 pm

Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:00 am

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
rboudet
Veteran

Postby rboudet » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:44 pm

Throw then Shoot.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”