HRCH "Rusty" MH

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Duck Chaser
Veteran

HRCH "Rusty" MH

Postby Duck Chaser » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:50 pm

In case you didn't know him, he was the best dog, ever.

That opinion may be a little subjective, but, he was a fine dog by any standard. He had much more potential in the field than I had ability as a trainer/handler, but I did the best I could. That said, nobody and no family could've cared for him more.

He is the reason for more good times, achievements, and new friends, than I can begin to list.

A truly versatile dog. From hunt tests/hunting, to the headless horseman's horse for Halloween, to poster boy for Christmas cards... He could do it all. 8) But for some reason, that I didn't deserve, all he wanted was to be by my side.

Rest in peace now buddy. You've left me with enough good memories to last a lifetime, and for that I am grateful.

HRCH Rusty MH
champcaller
Duck South Addict

Re: HRCH "Rusty" MH

Postby champcaller » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:58 pm

He looks like a helluva dog! Very nice tribute.
Achilles' Man in Black - CashMH

www.frontlinewaterfowl.com
DeltaCotton12
Duck South Addict

Postby DeltaCotton12 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:40 pm

I remember being around Rusty when I started in this game. He was one of the first dogs I saw and the potential these animals had. I was truly amazed at him. I am sorry for your lost but he inspired a young man and his dog.

RIP Rusty.
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:19 am

Wonderful tribute to a ‘man’s best friend……..and everyone’s Champion. You two set the standard high and achieved things, few amateurs do.

We have many fond memories of Rusty and are grateful for our time around him. He was a happy animal, was well-loved and well-cared for and we know he did his share in raising the children.

We were honored with the nights he stayed in our home while the rest of his family was on vacation. No furniture was damaged but the flowers outside (what few we have) still cringe every time a dog comes near. I will always remember the flooded carport – another standard no other dog will ever equal. I will also remember the happy reunion when ‘his people’ returned.

The training days, the stories, the torn knee, anxiety, rehab………and the eventual return to duty on a walk-in hunt where Rusty continued to show his strengths, his big heart and his obvious love for ‘the team’ spirit y’all developed……( occasionally interrupted only by his undying curiosity about a taunting little red female at the next cypress tree, over).

Our thoughts continue to be with you. Rusty was an awesome dog…..and ALL dog. He will be missed, so we look forward to reliving his impact on all of us through the many wonderful stories in the years to come.
Last edited by Anatidae on Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'd like to be remembered among my closest waterfowling friends (if I am remembered at all) for how I hunted them - not how many I killed" - [Jay Strangis]
Tedl10
Duck South Addict

Postby Tedl10 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:35 am

Great tribute! I will be thinking of you and your family.
Cash's Loaded Gun - Case

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after. It's a reckonin" - Doc Holliday

Ted Lloyd, Jr.
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Postby GulfCoast » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:37 am

Very sorry to hear about your loss.
So many ducks, so little time....

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH (2005-2017)
HRCH Tipsy MH
Zsa-Zsa Puppy
msbigdawg1234
Duck South Addict

Postby msbigdawg1234 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:47 am

So sorry.. always hate it when they leave us ...he gave you a life time of memories to tell round the camp fires
My name is Rick Daughtry.......

Well, I had a lot of money, but to the city went
I met too many good looking girls and that's where my money went
Yeah I know just where it went
No I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.
Back!
Regular

Postby Back! » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:19 pm

Rusty was the first MH I got to train with and he set the bar high. He will be missed but he had a GREAT life....hunting, hunt tests and children to watch over.
HRCH Topbrass' Bundle of Joy MH - 'B.J.'
"That's a lotta dog in a little dog" - [Freddy McCrory]
B3
Duck South Addict

Postby B3 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:43 pm

What a great tribute to Rusty. There will always be a part of him in your heart and a part of him will be in any dogs you train in the future. Dogs like Rusty taught us about dog training,but more about our selves when this board started over a decade ago. He will be remembered by all of us.

My condolences,
Bill
skuna
Duck South Addict

Postby skuna » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:32 pm

Man ole man......this one stings pretty bad..... I always enjoyed being around the big red dog, whether it was training, hunting, testing, or just chilling. He had that laid back, I'm the man attitude that was just freaking cool. Every man should be so lucky as to own such a fine animal, and get 12 years with him.
UH HRCH Jack's Aces and Eights (ACE)
HR Roux's Jewel O'Da Bayou (ROUXBY)(2004-2006)
jsherwin
Duck South Addict

Postby jsherwin » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:09 am

I hate to hear this. I remember my first master test running with you guys, it was always a good time to keep up with what was going on. Keep them memories close.
Never had it so good!
GRHRCH Slim Jim's Mazzin' Mallilou "Malli" MH
Blind Faith's Shoulda Listen'd To Moses "Mo"
http://www.blindfaithministries.com/
chance
Duck South Addict

Postby chance » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:16 am

Never forget ole Duck Chaser and Rusty in a Finished test at East Arkansas HRC. One really tight Finished blind. Rusty did it in style and there was one really happy handler at the ribbon ceremony. Go easy big boy.
GODFATHER
GRENADA MAFIA
SkippyJ
Duck South Addict

Postby SkippyJ » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:58 am

Damn Steve, I'm sorry to hear!! Rest easy Rusty, you were one of the great ones!!!!
gator
Duck South Sponsor

Postby gator » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:15 am

steve, i'm so sorry.

this one hurts a lot of people to read...prayers for you guys buddy.

justin
HRCH Eight Gauge - Gauge (see you on the bridge buddy)
HRCH Eight Gauge's Mountain Man - Trapper
Duck Chaser
Veteran

Postby Duck Chaser » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:21 pm

Thank you for all the kind words!

An attempt to put something halfway-worthy together, rushed, and without sounding the way I felt. Randy recommended some pics, so... In the process we found pics/albums that I didn't remember having. It did us good to go through them. Had some "pile pics", but some of my best memories are just me, Rusty and 6 ducks (hopefully). Have had folks ask why would you hunt by yourself? They don't get it. I wasn't by myself.

What I already knew, is reaffirmed. Dog folks are good people. From this, to calls/messages from some I barely know, to some I haven't seen in years. Its humbling.

You sacrifice time spent doing whatever else you did, before all the training/HT etc., but I wouldn't trade what we've all done together for anything. I also look forward to more of the same.

Give all those dogs an ear scratch for me!

Steve
HRCH Rusty MH

Return to “General Discussion Forum”