Puppy around babies?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
kris Schaumburg
Veteran

Puppy around babies?

Postby kris Schaumburg » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:45 pm

As some of you know, I recently lost my female boykin. I also have a 7 yr old male beagle. I was on the list for a female boykin pup, but the dam dropped mostly males. Now I'm pondering this. First do I want to forego a wait, and get a male? Or should I wait a while. The kicker, I have twins who will be a year old in a week. I was watching them torment the older dog last night, and wondering if I should wait a bit to obedience train them before a pup. Feel free to discuss, you won't offend me.
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Re: Puppy around babies?

Postby Smoke68 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:01 pm

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
BrettG
Veteran

Postby BrettG » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:15 am

At what age do you plan on collar conditioning the twins? Sorry, couldn't resist it. You have to judge this yourself. What scares you about the new pup and little people? If you feel that the kids could harm or disrupt puppy training I'd say wait if not go for it. There is nothing better than a bond between kids and dogs. Good luck either way.
grnhed
Duck South Addict

Postby grnhed » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:08 am

I had a springer that was 7 years old, and baby girl that was 1 last spring when I got my lab pup. They do great and I had no concerns or problems what so ever! Just have to watch the lab as she is strong and knocks her over, but my baby girl loves her and always go back for more. I was and still am around when they are playing, but its fun watching them grow up together.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”