Help

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
smith
Veteran

Help

Postby smith » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:22 pm

I have a 5 1/2 month old chessie female. Her training has been going great. I've just recently felt comfortable enough to take her on some dove hunts. She has no problem marking birds and so forth but when she starts to bring them back it's like she gets the taste in her mouth and she stops to try and eat the dove. Also when training with bumpers she has a soft mouth but absolutely crunches a freshly shot bird. Any help with stopping these things would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Duck Chaser
Veteran

Re: Help

Postby Duck Chaser » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:39 am

I got this...

First, fill a bird with nails and wrap with razor wire.

j/k... :mrgreen:

sounds like a dog. They would all like to eat a bird, if any count.

I would hold-up on the doves for now. To help her complete a retrieve, I would wade out in the water with her, chunk a duck, then intercept her. Much harder to eat something that big, while swimming. Give her some "good gurls". Maybe her willingness to please you will over-ride her desire to eat birds, but I wouldn't count on it!

From your description, the first break-down is "here". Typically enforced (not taught) with an e-collar (after proper intro/conditioning to it), or with a loong rope. Everwhat, you need the ability to bring her in. Whether she brings the bird or drops it, she must come to you when called = she isn't standing there eating it.

2nd would be working on "hold" and delivery. She handles bumpers well, so start there. You should be able to walk at heel and do other basic obedience with her holding. (warning- when she figures out you are making her hold, it may get worse before it gets better. Keep at it.) Progress to a frozen duck, thawed, fresh etc. Doves can be tough. I would save them until after you have come to an understanding with ducks.

Check her teeth. Likely has all adult by now, but don't want to make her hold something with a sore mouth. 6 months is a general rule.

I can't even summarize the highlights very well. Depending on what you want, may be time to pick a good training program and start following it. You NEED to make her a jam-up finished dawg. Get off in it! If you don't have the time, we know trainers. You know she's worth it! Join a retriever club too. 8)
HRCH Rusty MH

Return to “General Discussion Forum”