Back to Sqaure 1 (marking)!

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Back to Sqaure 1 (marking)!

Postby missed mallards » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:06 pm

Opening morning of the 2013 season kicked off and for the first time in quite a long time, I had a faithful companion at my side.

Lighting bolts lite up the sky, rain fell, and even a few ducks made their presence known. Through it all, my bud stuck it out w/ us for moral support, and let us all know he was ready!

Man o Man, do I have my work cut out but I'll say I loved what I saw (well some of it :lol: )!

Got a question, simple enough, but slightly complicated.

Dog will not mark birds approaching. Every mark he's seen has came from my side. He's a very good marker in that regards, but it ain't quite hunting. And yes, I've tried to get others to throw marks but life happens and currently wingers aren't purchased so that's what I've got.

He's more interested in me than the 'hunt'. That's ok I guess, but his attention toward the sky is really lacking (back to see where the marks are coming from). also, i've noticed he doesn't 'watch' the mark through it's entirety, i.e. watches it peak, then watches the ground. Their is no association with the end of the gun barrel and retrieve.

This time of the year, everyone I know is either hunting or busy.

I've been very patient in the past waiting until the opportune moment to lay the hammer down and have thought about just training marking during a hunt? What's ya'lls opinion on training during a hunt? I'd just go back to the drawing board but the drawing board is training for the real thing?

I've got other things that need work, but marking or lack thereof is killing me right now.
If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
digger
Duck South Addict

Re: Back to Sqaure 1 (marking)!

Postby digger » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:45 pm

I'm not a trainer but my thoughts.First is he a young dog (1st yr hunting) if so he'll pick up watching the sky or both my past dog and my dog now did.They were well trained but I think the really watching the sky and watching the bird's work is just a hunting thing they will pick up.
fishduck
Veteran

Postby fishduck » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:21 am

The are 2 things I have done that really seem to turn on the light bulb & get the dog looking up. The first is a good dove hunt. Sit behind a good shooter & let your dog pick up for them. After they limit, pick up your gun & shoot a few for the dog. This works well. The other option is a pheasant tower shoot. The birds make lots of noise & get the dogs attention. After a few explode feathers & are retrieved the dog gets the idea that good things come from the sky. Before you know it, you can recline in the back of the pit & just watch the dogs head!
Mark Land
yankee
Veteran

Postby yankee » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:45 am

what fish duck said..or a pigeon shoot at a silo.
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Postby missed mallards » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:14 pm

third hunt sealed the deal!

Now to get him where he likes the taste of duck LOL.
If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
hillhunter
Duck South Addict

Postby hillhunter » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:23 pm

That's great, my pup is now 4 and on his second full out season of duck hunting, I got tickled the other day cause we had a pair of mallards circling. I had my head down and only had to watch his eyes to know where the ducks were, I love it!! It doesn't happen every time like that but to see those brown eyes locked on a bird approach is a thing of beauty. What really sucks is when you whiff on a bird like that and then he gives you that look, like you suck.
work hard, play hard

Return to “General Discussion Forum”