Soft paws

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Soft paws

Postby missed mallards » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:45 am

Is there any way to tuffen up a dogs feet? Real dumb question but I'm out of finding out options on my own.

Soybean stubble is killing my little guy and I hunt a lot of soybean fields throughout the year (Doves and Duck). His energy/desire halts the first time he lands on a standing stalk. Trying to 'condition' him to it has failed, meaning training in it. He doesn't like it at all, and training/desire/ or much of anything else gets real slow. He gets more conscious of his feet than the mark/blind.

Just trying to get some input here.
If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
rsm688
Veteran

Re: Soft paws

Postby rsm688 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:30 pm

Run him on the concrete/pavement whenever you can, a dogs pad is just like the bottom of your foot. The more rough stuff he walks on the tougher it will get, repeated trauma/irritation/inflammation will eventually toughen it up but just be careful I have seen many a cut pad from stubble in fields, his pad will never be tough enough that it can't get injured and theres only a certain degree of protection it can give regardless of how tough it gets

Or you can get him some neopreme dog shoes/boots for when hes in the field :lol:
https://www.google.com/#q=dog+hunting+shoes&tbm=shop
Northbigmuddy
Veteran

Postby Northbigmuddy » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:42 am

I have wondered about this issue as well. My pup has never checked up. I can see him catch one from time to time. A few ginger steps later and he's back at it.
USA Back to Back World War Champs
YazooValley
Veteran

Postby YazooValley » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:04 am

Return to “General Discussion Forum”