Heart worms

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Chuckle12
Duck South Addict

Heart worms

Postby Chuckle12 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:25 pm

Sent Cowboy to the vet for some fluid in his ankle & general check up. Turns out he has heart worms despite being on Trifexis. Doc says he will do a "quick" treatment as opposed to a long treatment because he's young (5) & healthy. He's gotta stay inactive for 6 weeks, which means we have to scratch him from the 4 Master tests CC was gonna run him in during October. Hopefully he will be able to work before the season. Any experiences with treating heart worms? What are some red flags I need to look for?
Μολὼν λαβέ
HRCH Man with a Loaded Gun MH
HR Quest's Loaded Gun 4/8/00-7/5/12 RIP
Drakeshead
Duck South Addict

Re: Heart worms

Postby Drakeshead » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:51 pm

Mine starts his treatment next month.
Northbigmuddy
Veteran

Postby Northbigmuddy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:03 pm

I've heard a mixed bag of results from a variety of treatments. Everything from a slow kill method where the dog never slowed down to the confinement method and the dog never came back to 100%. My dad did the confinement route on a little bit older dog with good results.
USA Back to Back World War Champs
DanP
Duck South Addict

Postby DanP » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:12 pm

Slow kill is ROUGH on mine, but she is also 12. Medicine makes her delirious and basically not in her right mind. We are rotating on and off months but its still pretty bad.
Drakeshead
Duck South Addict

Postby Drakeshead » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:57 am

rsm688
Veteran

Postby rsm688 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:48 pm

You want to do the "quick method", it is Immiticide and the best way to kill them off. The "slow kill" method is a poor method of heartworm treatment and is mainly used for people that can't afford Immiticide (not cheap, but worth it). The "slow kill" method keeps the infection from getting worse and slowly eliminates it but it takes a long time and is not always effective either.

Use ProHeart (6 month shot) or Advantage Multi (topical), you want moxidectin. It is the best heartworm preventative medicine out there. TRUST ME.

-Spencer-
rsm688
Veteran

You want to do the "quick method", it is Immiticide and the best way to kill them off. The "slow kill" method is a poor method of heartworm treatment and is mainly used for people that can't afford Immiticide (not cheap, but worth it). The "slow kill" method keeps the infection from getting worse and slowly eliminates it but it takes a long time and is not always effective either.

Use ProHeart (6 month shot) or Advantage Multi (topical), you want moxidectin. It is the best heartworm preventative medicine out there. TRUST ME.

-Spencer-
rsm688
Veteran

-Spencer-
medic11
Veteran

Postby medic11 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:59 pm

I'll second the Moxidectin in the ProHeart 6 or advantage multi. I remember hearing Dr. Watts speak at a seminar a few years back about a resistance being found to ivermectin and hundreds of dogs along the MS river tested positive for heartworms after being on ivermectin (Heartguard) monthly.
Freedom Hunters
http://www.freedomhunters.org

Maple Ridge's Flyboy Buzz Lightyear "Buzz"

War is delightful to those who have no experience of it.
rsm688
Veteran

Postby rsm688 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:26 pm

I have no idea why my post went through 3 times. I'm in vet school and I worked almost exclusively with hunting labs for 3 years before then, we reccomended Moxidectin only. Ivermectin used to be great, it's crap now (not that the drug has changed any, the heartworms are just not very susceptible to it anymore). I could go into a lot more details on it, but just use Moxidectin and don't waste your money on anything else.

I get TONS of free heartguard and other ivermectin products.....and I donate them to the local shelter, because I wouldn't trust my dogs, my parents dogs, or my friends dogs to them.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”