Tough decisions

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Tough decisions

Postby mfalkner » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:11 am

Well, Doc is in his very last hours/days. After 14 years, he's worn out. It looks like he's going to go naturally but if not I'll have to make that trip to the vet today or tomorrow. Can't even stand up anymore without help, it's just that time. I can deal with that; been bracing myself for it. But, I have another problem. My other lab, Kasey, is 10 now and she's going/gone blind. It's progressing rapidly and now she has to have help just getting around the yard. I'm struggling with what to do for/with her for several reasons. 1, she is totally bonded with Doc and it's not gonna be good when he's gone. 2, she's an outside dog and for several reasons (family health issues) moving her inside is not an option. 3, she can no longer do the things which have made her happy for ten years - is keeping her around being selfish? Kind of like life support. I want to let nature take its course, but in reality if she was in the wild she would not be with me now.

Conflicted big time.
99beers
Veteran

Re: Tough decisions

Postby 99beers » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:41 pm

mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:13 pm

True dat but I was interested if anyone had experience with a blind dog and what they can adapt to.

We'll figure it out but thanks for your input
BrettG
Veteran

Postby BrettG » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:09 am

Sorry for you situation. A blind dog does well with a partner, have you considered getting a younger (not puppy) dog to help out?
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:26 am

Well, Doc is at rest. Extra thanks to Dr Lee Payne and staff for the way they took care of this (and us).

Brett, hadn't considered that. She was definitely bonded to Doc; we'll give that some thought.
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:29 pm

Sorry to hear about your struggles, Mike.......we've been through many episodes over the years, trying to make sure we did what was 'right' under the circumstances.

I was thinking just take one step at a time and see how Kasey responds once Doc is gone. Then you can decide accordingly.

It can be tough sometimes, but in the long run - they are counting on us to act in their best interest and I know you are doing that.......thus the reason for the difficulty.

Sorry to hear about Doc and wish you the best. I'm sure there is a photo album and some other good memories.
"I'd like to be remembered among my closest waterfowling friends (if I am remembered at all) for how I hunted them - not how many I killed" - [Jay Strangis]
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:58 pm

Yep Randy, we've had some fine times and he surely had a good run.

We are going to take time and evaluate things; hopefully she will adapt well and it'll be a non issue.
Jeff
Duck South Addict

Postby Jeff » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:30 pm

Mike, working with people with bad sight and blindness on a daily basis I am amazed what people and animals can do when completely blind. While there is no guarantee Kasey will be great I've seen countless people function blind. So give her a chance, I think the loss of Doc will be the bigger blow than the blindness. My dog is still getting over the loss of her mother (she's 6 now) and we lost Lacey in March. It takes time but you will know.

Sorry to hear about Doc, dogs leaving us too soon is the only bad part about owning them.
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:14 am

Thanks, Jeff, our main concern is that she still has good quality of life. We're making the extra effort to spend more time with her right now, and she seems to be coping OK; I've seen other dogs really grieve losing a companion but she's not too bad. I'm very interested to hear the vet's input on just how much she can see (right now, it seems as if she can see a little out to 20-30 feet in good light and almost nothing at night). You have to keep talking when airing her out or yard playing so she can find you. Any kind of work is out of the question although she can still do happy bumpers if I use a big white canvas one and whirl it to get her attention - with short throws she can still retrieve and will do it all day long. So that's one cue that life can still be good. I just don't want it to become scary for her.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”