Casting

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
bustercat64
Veteran

Casting

Postby bustercat64 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:07 pm

I have always done back first then overs but I have a dog that I am trying to teach hand signals and he will not do backs. He will sit but I can not get him to go back he returns to heel and then you can send him off. I did force to pile with him like all my other dogs berfore teaching the back command. I was told over the weekend to try overs then backs. I understand the a dog returning to heel shows that I put to much presure on him when teaching the heel command. We have been doing this for about 3 to 4 weeks now and its getting old and I'm about to go crazy.
BucksandDucks
Veteran

Re: Casting

Postby BucksandDucks » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:05 pm

my opinion so take it for what its worth...and you may have already tried this.

But I would run to the back pile four or five times with white bumpers to help ID that pile. on the sixth time, I would whistle sit him as close to the pile as you dare...make sure you give him room to sit and not be on the pile. I would then cut the distance between him and I down to approx half of what it was, take two or three steps to your right, toss a bumper to the back pile. As soon as he looks back at you give him a verbal right back. Build on the confidence from that point and increase distance to carry the cast and distance between you and him.

Like I said, its my opinion on how I would address the issue. If you have already tried that, then I guess we'll go back to the drawing board.

Good Luck!
---"The fool that drinks to drown his sorrows, ought to be told that sorrow knows how to swim" - unknown

HRCH Choctaw's Diamond Bailey SH
HRCH Nature's Fierce Firestorm
B3
Duck South Addict

Postby B3 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:08 pm

You can also walk dog to back pile and have him watch you toss a bumper to the pile then heel him to the pitchers mound and then cast him back.
EvanG
Veteran

Postby EvanG » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:32 pm

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
“Please don't post anything on the gun dog forum that might have anything to do with dog training.”
― BrettG
bustercat64
Veteran

Postby bustercat64 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:50 pm

I have done everything listed above I stopped evrything last week and went back to just marks and fun bumpers but before I stopped I even changed places that I do pile work I have tried everything that I know of.

[quote][/quote]
EvanG
Veteran

Postby EvanG » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:04 pm

“Please don't post anything on the gun dog forum that might have anything to do with dog training.”
― BrettG
99beers
Veteran

Postby 99beers » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:35 pm

You bought that sponsorship yet Evan? Only thing you add to this board is bait. Bait to by your stuff. You give just enough info to suck them in......good job.
EvanG
Veteran

Postby EvanG » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:22 am

― BrettG
D Boe
Regular

Postby D Boe » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:33 pm

99beers...no one cares about your rambling. If you can't post something in response to the actual post and answer the original poster's question, then just stay away. Evan has actually helped with many different things that I have needed help with. No one cares that you post a reply for ever post that Evan makes. Dude get a life.
HRCH Malli's Golden Glimmer of Gods Grace MH "Alli"
Arkat's Venanosa Avispa JH "Stinger"
Von D's Diety of Storms "Tempe"
Midnight Lunar Eclipse "Luna" RIP (12/2010-5/2013)
D Boe
Regular

Postby D Boe » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:52 pm

By the way bustercat...how's ole Pearl doing? I miss that heifer. Last I heard she was master level dog. Hope all is well with you. Give me a shout sometime.
HRCH Malli's Golden Glimmer of Gods Grace MH "Alli"
Arkat's Venanosa Avispa JH "Stinger"
Von D's Diety of Storms "Tempe"
Midnight Lunar Eclipse "Luna" RIP (12/2010-5/2013)
Mark Sehon
Veteran

Postby Mark Sehon » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:24 am

99 beers stick a sock in it. Put the beer down for a while. You sound like a spoiled child.
Jay Dufour
Veteran

Postby Jay Dufour » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:01 pm

bustercat64
Veteran

Postby bustercat64 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:33 pm

Return to “General Discussion Forum”