What should I do...??

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Dr. B
Veteran

What should I do...??

Postby Dr. B » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:21 pm

Started to work with my dog last week with hand signals. I reviewed some force fetching drills which he did very well. My problem is that he's accustomed to bringing the bumper/bird back and heeling up to my side and sitting. I'm trying to get him to stop short and face me so he can see my face and watch the direction I send him. He just can't seem to stop bringing the bird to my side. I've got him on a choke chain but it gets all tangled up and in the way when he retrieves so I'm not a fan of that. We've only been doing the drill for a couple of days. Should I be worried or just keep working him hoping he'll get it. Thanks.

Dr. B
"Shoot 'em in the face!"
Gene
Regular

Re: What should I do...??

Postby Gene » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:33 pm

Sorry but I don't understand the problem. Returning to your side is the proper way to deliver and is the way the dog was taught I am sure. He doesnt have to deliver in front to be taught handling. Need more info. Are you working with a pro? Who did force fetch? Are you following a training program? Bill Hillman has some good you tube videos you can watch and some more detailed training videos you can purchase.

Gene
B3
Duck South Addict

Postby B3 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:45 pm

Work on front finish on lead first without bumper in mouth. I use hand down low between my legs to tell him that's where to go. Can have a treat to lure him to that spot when reaches proper position say sit and give treat. Hand to side means side finish. You can guide with lead to either position and reward for the correct position. Later add in with him holding bumper.
B3
Duck South Addict

Postby B3 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:46 pm

Also can blow sit whistle right before he gets to you and when he sits step up to take bumper and then step back to cast.
99beers
Veteran

Postby 99beers » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:06 pm

EvanG
Veteran

Postby EvanG » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:24 am

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
“Please don't post anything on the gun dog forum that might have anything to do with dog training.”
― BrettG
99beers
Veteran

Postby 99beers » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:26 pm

EvanG
Veteran

Postby EvanG » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:01 am

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
“Please don't post anything on the gun dog forum that might have anything to do with dog training.”
― BrettG

Return to “General Discussion Forum”