Whining pup

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
rjohnson
Duck South Addict

Whining pup

Postby rjohnson » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:05 pm

Ok read the puppy post several times before posting this. Seems like I'm constantly rattling the kennel and saying QUIET!!!! to get her to hush. Seems like her memory is about 30 seconds. Any other corrective actions to take? She sleeps in the kennel in our room and I keep a broom stick to smack the kennel when she starts whining. My wife doesn't appreciate the WHACK! in the middle of the night when I hit the kennel. It's mostly when we are awake and moving about the house and we have her up for a break. I prefer a dog that is dang near silent. So any recommendations or other methods? She is about 12 weeks old now.

Everything else with this pup is going well. She sits to get anything (through the door, out of the kennel, food, water) and is almost going in kennel on command. It's just this whining is getting old.
simplepeddler
Veteran

Re: Whining pup

Postby simplepeddler » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:46 pm

First.....move the kennel out of your room........
If at all possible move it to the other side of the house where she cannot be heard.

Leave a pair of yesterday's socks in the kennel with her and do not acknowlege that you even hear her.

It will be brutal, but in a couple of nights she should settle
rjohnson
Duck South Addict

Postby rjohnson » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:42 pm

Moved her out tonight. Hope we get some sleep.
rjohnson
Duck South Addict

Postby rjohnson » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:31 am

Worked like a charm. Could only hear when she barked about 2am and needed to go out. She whined and whimpered but it was muted enough no one got woken up but me. We'll what the second night holds.
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:01 am

Good deal. You've had her close long enough to establish night routine, I bet this helps.
KarenKlotthor
Regular

Postby KarenKlotthor » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:24 am

IF she continues to wine in the kennel, cover it up. She will get the idea if I make noise I get covered and if quit I get to see what is going on.
Long Cut
Veteran

Postby Long Cut » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:34 am

We covered up the kennel at night with a quilt. Just like a parrot. Not during the day, only at night. It pretty much blacked out kennel and buffered all sound. Worked like a champ.
rjohnson
Duck South Addict

Postby rjohnson » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:25 pm

Return to “General Discussion Forum”