What do ya'll look for when picking out a 6 week old puppy?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
minor

What do ya'll look for when picking out a 6 week old puppy?

Postby minor » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:12 am

What do you guys look for personality-wise when picking out a 6-7 week old puppy from a litter? It seems so hard to tell much at such an early age.
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Re: What do ya'll look for when picking out a 6 week old pup

Postby mfalkner » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:19 am

It is hard to tell that young. It's really best if you can observe the litter more than once because puppies are creatures of the moment. That said, and I'm certainly no expert, but for my own purposes I want a pup that seems people-oriented. Not overly shy/retiring and not necessarily the boldest and pushiest - I know some may prefer the most outgoing dog but those can be a handful to train and I don't necessarily equate that with game drive. I want a dog that takes training well and is good to be around. If they are well bred, they'll be able to do the work if trained right.

If you have done the research and picked a quality litter, it's pretty tough to go wrong. An experienced breeder can guide you a lot, especially if they also train. Let them know what your goals are for the dog.
ransco33
Veteran

Postby ransco33 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:35 pm

When we went to pick out our lab pup, I went with the fattest one that just happened to come over and sit down right at my feet while we were watching them play in the yard. Turned out to be a pretty good pick for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Robcat
Veteran

Postby Robcat » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:52 pm

After you select the litter you are going to buy from, the hard part is over. Find one with the right plumbing and take it home.
HRCH Goose
slatecollier

Postby slatecollier » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:39 am

I have always tried to pick the 2nd or 3rd in the pecking order. The top dog is going to be hard headed and stronger willed and the puppy just laying around or being lazy is not going to have enough drive. I always have had good luck picking this way.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”