Looking for a pup

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
rjohnson
Duck South Addict

Looking for a pup

Postby rjohnson » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:16 pm

We had to put our lab down a few months ago. I believe everyone in the family has grieved long enough. We are looking for, preferably, a BLF that has hips/eyes certified and a decent pedigree. Not sure what puppies are going for these days but would prefer to keep it around $500. If the braintrust here says no way you can get anything for that price please school me on current prices.

Also have any of you ever seen a dog's demeanor completely changed when another dog in the family passes? Our min. schnauzer has been a completely different dog since the lab passed. He used to be on guard 24/7. Barking or growling when an ant would fart outside kind of on guard. Now we can go in the house and have to touch him to wake him up. He also just mopes around a lot now. Can dogs change that much when losing one of the pack?
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Re: Looking for a pup

Postby mfalkner » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:11 pm

Yes, I had two labs that were basically raised together. When we had to put Doc down, Kasey went into a deep funk and never really was the same. We eventually got another puppy but for her it wasn't the same. However, she had other issues (blindness) that I'm sure contributed to this.

Most of the time a new pup can really help in your situation.

I don't know about $500, but I saw a litter of extremely well bred pups last week with full health clearances and guarantee for $800. These were out of GRHRCH/MH dogs and very nice looking pups, too.

Good luck, let us know what you find.
juliodux
Veteran

Postby juliodux » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:18 pm

My trainer Doug Robinson has a litter that will be ready in 2 weeks. Yellow and Blacks. Call 256-443-1395
Cut-EM
Long Cut
Veteran

Postby Long Cut » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:36 pm

When I purchased my last lab in 1998 I paid around 350. I started looking again about 2 years ago and was shocked at what pups are going for now. After getting over the sticker shock and looking around I found a really nice pup for I think around 750. He had a great pedigree and has turned out to be a really nice dog. Prices are all over the board if you search long enough you may find just what you want at the price point that you want but dont be surprised if you have to give up a few hundred more to really get the pup your looking for. As far as your other question about dogs personality changing I have not a clue.
rjohnson
Duck South Addict

Postby rjohnson » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:44 pm

Found one and picking it up in a couple of weeks thanks to a DS member. It's a surprise for the family so you knuckleheads that know us keep quiet.
grnhed
Duck South Addict

Postby grnhed » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:34 am

Awesome! Nothing like a new addition

Return to “General Discussion Forum”