quick question need input

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
drake09
Veteran

quick question need input

Postby drake09 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:27 pm

My wife has talked me in to getting another dog it's an American springer Spanial with great ob training and loves to retrieve it's right at 11 months old with a stacked pedigree would be worth my time for just a simple meat dog or does any hunt ducks with this breed I know they aren't as meaty as a lab can see them getting colder quicker any input would be great
Wait wait!! Dam* shouldve shot them
EvanG
Veteran

Re: quick question need input

Postby EvanG » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:44 am

Quite a few people hunt ducks with Springers. Be thorough with your training, as well as patient.

EvanG
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
“Please don't post anything on the gun dog forum that might have anything to do with dog training.”
― BrettG
crow
Duck South Addict

Postby crow » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:37 am

Drake, I'm training a Boykin Spaniel currently (14 months old). Evan is dead on...as long as you are patient, consistent and thorough, there is no reason not to use the Springer. Get him one of the xs neoprene vests and should be fine. Be sure and get the dog on feathers and live pigeons quickly. The spaniels are kinda finicky at first, but they are strong once they make up their minds. Be sure you have the time, patience and energy to take a spaniel on...they will try you way more than a lab. One trainer told me that a lab, with consistency, will eventually decide you are the boss. A spaniel will never make that call and will always keep trying you. If you are not sure, take another year to get the dog ready.

crow
drake09
Veteran

Postby drake09 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:52 am

Thanks for the input I'll be picking her up later this evening got some new bumpers and a cpl wings that I picked up at store try to get her excited just playing see how she does and will go from there my last dog I had was sent to trainer I'm hoping to just get a simple meat dog no fancy tricks just retrieving and semi steady. For a simple dog how much ff should I need I know I'm a good ways off but was just thinking I'm not picky about delivery to hand just with in reach
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:16 pm

I just googled "American Springer Spaniel." Nothing came up. Can we assume it's an English Springer Spaniel?

If so, you might want to check into its lineage to see if it is from a line of show dogs or field dogs. They have developed into very distinct breeds and you may be wasting your time if this dog is a show dog. Great pets, and may retrieve, but show dogs quickly lose interest and have a pretty non-existent drive when it comes to sustained work.

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
drake09
Veteran

Postby drake09 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:36 am

Yes your right English spaniel not American sorry about that from what I can tell about her lineage with out contacting the breeder that they are from a pretty good line of hunting I'm still tracking back but looks like she may have some pretty good blood she loves retrieving and got on a live bird she went nuts over it just with fun throws just trying to get a bond with her before making ob come into play
rboudet
Veteran

Postby rboudet » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:25 am

Why do it half way. If you are going to train him train him. "Somewhat steady" why not just go ahead and steady him. " And if you are going to do FF, just finish it you will be much happier in the end.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”