New pup pics

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

New pup pics

Postby mfalkner » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:19 am

Ruby is 4 months now and I have not posted much about her. Couple of pics:

She's from Haynes Floyd at Double TT, by HRCH TTF Craighorn Kiffin MH. All British field bloodlines, but daddy and grandaddy have done fairly well at the American hunt tests also, both are in 500 pt club.

So far she has been a fast learner and very calm but with a strong hunt/retrieve drive. She's kind of soft natured, she's going to take a little finesse in training - not really a surprise there. Still too early to do any training per se, so we're working on socialization and bolding up, just exploring any place we can find from the woods to big crowds, whatever.
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Re: New pup pics

Postby Anatidae » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:18 pm

Ruby's a good-looking pup! Head-up......very attentive!

Great photos, Mike. Happy for you!

'Sounds like you have a good game plan and the right approach given your observations on pup's 'response'. 'Lotta folks try to take things too fast with pups without attention given to how receptive they are to 'training'.

We're about 3-1/2 months behind you.........(born August 8th)............12 days old, now......eyes just opening.

These pups are about to wear us out.......but it'll be worth all the trouble. All are going to be DARK, just like 'Mama'!

We are lucky.......'will have a family of 8 children of all ages coming to help with stimulation exercises and socialization. Plus Duckchaser is going to bring his kids over so the pups will wear THEM down a bit. Good stuff!

Thanks for the photos and good luck with Ruby's development. We may have to get together sometime this Fall. 'Got several folks in the area with new pups, now.

'Exciting times!
"I'd like to be remembered among my closest waterfowling friends (if I am remembered at all) for how I hunted them - not how many I killed" - [Jay Strangis]
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:51 am

Wow, Randy, that's a handful! Beautiful pups, and I really like that dark gold coloring.

On the progress/timeline topic, I've been guilty of really messing a good dog up in the past by getting in too big a hurry and wrecking both his confidence and my own, partly because I was too bullheaded to ask for help. Ruby won't be old enough to really hunt this year anyway so I'm taking my time. I like something Steve Vires said when I took her up to meet him - "I believe in taking what the dog gives me" - as in, train what's there, not what you wish was there.

I'd enjoy getting together sometime, just give me a shout. Part of the plan is for Ruby to drag me out of the office and/or house a lot more this year and she seems to be a willing accomplice. I pulled a dirty trick on her Saturday out walking the woods. We'd been off in a cow pond swimming a little - she's not just crazy wild about water but is a good swimmer - then dropped off in a little creek. Creek is spring fed and was ice cold and I got this look like " you must be outside your mind....". I'm enjoying her personality.
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:17 am

Vires' wisdom comes from much experience, uniquely common sense approach (on top of sound techiques designed to 'teach'), keen eye for details, love of dogs, and a group of great 'dog' friends in North Mississippi (your area) - passionate dog folks, all of them. We always enjoy being around them and they have become our extended family.....a lot of them are members of this board........and are largely responsible for the successes Anne and 'B.J.' have enjoyed in the last 6 years.

I believe there's a Southern Flight HRC training day scheduled for the weekend of our regular Fall Hunt Test because of 'The Fall Grand' in Union City, TN is pretty close to that date. Steve will know the details if you and Ruby want to participate - that's what it's for......dogs and handlers at all ages and stages of development. I would encourage you to go if at all possible.

That's the same approach we used on 'B.J.' because of the reason you mentioned - everybody makes mistakes. So, we didn't get in any rush and were careful not to 'train' B.J.'s enthusiasm out of her or take the program any faster than either we or the dog could handle (based on our experience level - or comfort with wht we were doing). She's gotten a bit 'test-wise' and is a little 'happy' at the line........but that goes back to 'sit', running hunt tests every weekend, and not realizing how giving an inch translates to a few feet in a short period of time. We just had to quit running hunt tests this Spring and get her to REMEMBER that Anne or myself (whichever is handling her in a HT) are part of the 'team'. She just forgets we're there, sometimes. I think the long layoff of having this litter AND hunting season will give us a fresh start this coming Spring. You can break 'creeping' but it's not pretty if you want immediate improvement. We elect NOT to put her through heavy 'pressure'.

That is where it helps to have a regular training group with folks that have been through all those problems and know how to avoid and/or correct them. So don't be hesitant to get with these folks because you don't want to be embarrassed over anything you or your dog might do in a 'group'.....it's unavoidable.....but everybody there has been through it at one time or another.

'Sounds like you're on the right track. If we get a training group going down here, I'll be sure and holler at you. In the meantime, go to the SFHRC training day - there's a wealth of knowledge there and it would be hard to find a more supportive, encouraging, and helpful group of folks to steer you in the right direction. I think Johnny Barlow and Ronnie Harwell are probably located closer to you than anybody else. Lots of experience right there and they've had some unbelievable animals over the years. They are just a sample of what HRC is all about. If you need phone numbers - lemme know.

Otherwise, go to http://www.southernflighthrc.com/ for info on becoming the best team (you and Ruby) you can be in the hunting field.
"I'd like to be remembered among my closest waterfowling friends (if I am remembered at all) for how I hunted them - not how many I killed" - [Jay Strangis]
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:46 pm

Good info and appreciated. Steve has a plan worked out for Ruby and I that is pretty interactive, which I appreciate. I'm planning to go to the Southern Flight training day this Saturday, I think Travis is going to be working with folks on blinds. Then there's a mock hunt test on the 7th of September which sounds like what you describe. I'm hoping to make them both as I know there's a world of knowledge there and helpful folks.

I'd rather substitute time and patience for pressure, given my limited knowledge.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”