Talk about a Long Day

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
quakwacker
Duck South Addict

Talk about a Long Day

Postby quakwacker » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:28 pm

My day started around 12:00 this morning. Myself and some friends decided to drive west to a WMA in the delta on a draw hunt. This is about a 4 hour trip for us so it's kind of a big deal when we get to go. We packed two 4 wheelers on a trailer along with decoys and other gear and headed out. 2 hours into the trip we had a blowout on the trailer!!!! We quickly unhooked the trailer and headed to the nearest town where we found a Wal Mart to buy a new tire, and got up with an emergency service to help us mount the new tire. We got the tire mounted after an hour and a half delay and decided to try and make it to the draw on time since we were halfway there. Well, we ended up 17 minutes late for the draw and found out that every unit on the place was being hunted so we were out of luck! We turned around, filled the truck back up with gas, and started back east very disappointed. Got even more depressing when a phone call was received from another friend that was hunting there and we found out the they pretty much hammered them! Well...we got home, finally, so I decided to go to a place to check the water level and maybe find some birds. On the way out the door I thought about picking up my rifle because the chance of killing a deer in this certain place could be good. I decided against it and headed out the door empty handed. Well...I don't quite get to the slough when I jump a deer, but not just any deer. This was a really good buck and if I had carried my rifle I would have had an easy kill at maybe 40 yards!!! Not only did I miss the opportunity at my biggest buck to date but I found no ducks!!!
I am really ready to lay down and take a really long nap!!!
camlock
Duck South Sponsor

Re: Talk about a Long Day

Postby camlock » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:41 pm

scary how much that sounds like one of my normal cluster F's...so I feel ya brother
Dr. B
Veteran

Postby Dr. B » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:56 pm

Dear Lord that sounds like my hunting life...Groundhog Day style. Hate it for ya, bro! On the bright side, things can't get much worse... :wink:

Dr. B
"Shoot 'em in the face!"
arduckslayer
Duck South Addict

Postby arduckslayer » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:48 pm

Never go in the woods empty handed when the season is open. You just learned the hard way. Sorry to hear about the busted trip to the delta though.
duckter
Duck South Addict

Postby duckter » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:31 pm

Rule #1 - never go without a spare for a trailer. See boat and atv trailers all the time stranded on the side of the road, just knowing the unprepared is trying to check-out at the Wal-Mart Service Center.

Rule #2 - if you would have had the gun with you, you wouldn't have seen that deer.
Son, be sure to check the oil. The gas will take care of itself. George Carter - Circa 1965
huntersmky
Duck South Addict

Postby huntersmky » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:41 pm

you just gave me dejavu. I thought I was the only one with luck that bad
johndavid78
Veteran

Postby johndavid78 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:00 am

Never, ever go to the woods without a gun son!!!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”