hearing protection - Ask ducksouth

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
huntersmky
Duck South Addict

hearing protection - Ask ducksouth

Postby huntersmky » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:50 pm

what kind of hearing protection are you guys using while in the blind. I have never used any(because it wasn't the cool thing to do), but as I get older my hearing gets worse and worse and I'd rather be able to hear than be cool anyday. I want some type of ear muffs that block out the sound of the shot, but I can still hear people talking without having to take them on and off.

Looking for some suggestions on what to purchase.
matador1
Duck South Addict

Re: hearing protection - Ask ducksouth

Postby matador1 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:44 pm

I use just a pair of the stick in type. But I bought Davis and Anna Morgan those Walker Alpha Power Muffs and love them. I tried them and they work.
Your resident mortgage loan officer. You've got a friend in the business. http://www.adamblack.net
jar0023
Veteran

Postby jar0023 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:01 pm

I didn't wear ear pro when I was younger and I'm paying the price for it now. This is one thing I tend to get on a soapbox about. My Dad, brother and nephew won't wear earpro and tell them everytime we hunt. My 8you daughter has never been shooting without earpro and I hope is stays that way. I've already seen two guys get their bell rung this year when someone swung over them in a pit. BTW I hate ported chokes.

I've tried most of the affordable options and here's what I'm using now. Surefire EP4 Sonic Defenders. In the ear, no batteries, no moving parts. I have a set of custom molded filter with the same mechanism that were over $100 and these are almost as comfortable. They are are not true plugs but filters. Simplest explanation is small sounds get in but big sounds don't. You can talk, and blow a call with them. The call takes a little getting used to. They have a stopper if you want more protection. Best of all is they are cheap. Under $15 at Amazon. sm/md/lg. My daughter can were the smalls, but usually ends up with a set of electronic muffs.

http://www.amazon.com/Surefire-Sonic-Defender-Protection-Medium/dp/B001V2SS9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324611786&sr=8-1

I also have a set of the Howard Leight electronic ear muffs and they are nice and do the job, but are a little more cumbersome trying to wingshoot. I just picked up a set of the Peltor Tac 6's from Amazon as they are running a special on them now. 30% off from the manufacturer. It won't show until you get to the last payment page but the final price is less than $40 for the set. These were $100 a year ago. These fit my daughter well and the cups can be flipped to clear a shotgun stock.

http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-97044-Tactical-Hearing-Protector/dp/B00009363P/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1324612516&sr=1-1-catcorr#productPromotions

-J
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken
Hole Hunter
Duck South Addict

Postby Hole Hunter » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:22 am

jar0023,
Just bought three of those for my Dad and brother's Christmas presents, + one for myself...

Nice marketing. :lol:

For that price, they are worth a try. To be quite honest, I am not a fan of the earplugs while calling but I know that all this shooting is doing more damage to my hearing than I realize.

Merry Christmas!
WAR DAYUM EAGLE!!!

A True Sportsman shoots what he eats and eats what he shoots.
huntersmky
Duck South Addict

Postby huntersmky » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:52 am

jar0023
Veteran

Postby jar0023 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:27 pm

I hear you, on calling with plugs in. With a little time it gets to feel normal, sort of, but it's nice falling asleep without my ears ringing like a freight train.

J
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

H. L. Mencken
RNAIL
Veteran

Postby RNAIL » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:29 pm

Well, take it from an old fool,,wear hearing protection, no matter how uncomfortable you think they are. I have ear drum damage from artillery and just plain shooting without hearing protection. My ears ring 24/7, never a moment of quiteness. Shooting pistols is the worst thing you can do to your ears. :( :(
I'm Retired, leave me alone
farmboy
Regular

Postby farmboy » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:03 pm

I wear the cheap ones from Academy that shut down with loud sounds and enhance low sounds but they eat batteries. I teach 4-H shotgun sports and they muffle sounds even when the batteries go ear muffs seem to impede shotgun mount.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”