Neck Shots??

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
marshman
Veteran

Neck Shots??

Postby marshman » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:48 am

Whats everyone's opinion on neck shots? I've never tried one, but have been thinking if I had a steady rest and the situation was right I may try it. I've heard stories about people neck shooting deer and they usually drop in their tracks, but some have said the deer have got up and got away before the recovery.
Jeff
Duck South Addict

Re: Neck Shots??

Postby Jeff » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:59 am

I neck shot a doe over the weekend and she didn't twitch after being shot. Shot her right where the shoulders and neck meet, never seen one drop in it's tracks like that. No kicking, no breathing just balled up dead.
Blake Williamson
Duck South Addict
Location: Probably on the Pearl River setting at the cabin with a beer in hand with Ol'Jake beside me.

Postby Blake Williamson » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:01 pm

I'm a fan of the neck shots...... Only time I've ever had one to run out of his tracks was with a bow and may have made it 15yrds if that far.I've never lost a neck shot!
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
redneckduck
Veteran

Postby redneckduck » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:07 pm

head shots are always a drop dead shot. a friend of mine's wife neck shot a nice 10 point last year and i saw the photos and the live deer when i when to texas last month
pondman
Duck South Addict

Postby pondman » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:20 pm

Last edited by pondman on Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That's the one trouble with this country: everything, weather, all, hangs on to long. Like our rivers, our land: opaque, slow, violent; shaping and creating the life of man in its implacable and brooding image." William Faulkner
MSDawg870
Duck South Addict

Postby MSDawg870 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:24 pm

I shot one in the "drop zone" Sat by accident really meant to shoot low behind the shoulder. The shot ended up behind the shoulder and just below the spine. He fell in his tracks kicked twice and was dead.

As much as a deer moves their neck and head around I don't trust myself to make a good shot on that small an area.
chevy01234
Duck South Addict

Postby chevy01234 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:34 pm

I am confident enough in my marksmanship that I take neck shots with my 280 and certain situations with my 35. Most of the time with the 35 though I shoulder shoot. Lost one deer in my career with a rifle and that was a doe I shot behind the shoulder. Haven't lost a deer since I started neck shooting them.
Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Postby Blackduck » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:37 pm

No, i don't want to know you ---- teul

Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:00 pm

I personally wait for them to turn so I can get a broadside shot. I would have to injure one and not recover it. Not saying some of you could do it on a day in day out basis I just know I would rather wait for the higher percentage shot. Got a friend that takes greater than 500 yard shots all the time on gas and power lines in Alabama. Of course he was a former sniper and long range shooting is his thing. I never cease to be amazed at all the crap that goes in to taking a long range shot. Even the curvature of the earth. To much for my simple brain to keep up with.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
4dawgma
Duck South Addict

Postby 4dawgma » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:03 pm

Under 75 yards, I'm taking the neck shot every time(I generally shoot little nannies and don't want to waste meat :twisted: ). Never had one run off. Just make sure you hit them.
Where'd who go?
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:33 pm

i love a qtr Too Shot insdie 150yds.

tuck it right in between the neck and shoulder and the hit the dirt. you can drop a 300lb buck with a 243 on that shot.
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:00 pm

Most of my kills have been neck shots and I have not lost a single one all of them have dropped in thier tracks or flipped and were dead before they hit the ground.

I carry one of those 10 round bullet holders on my stock on each of my guns.. 5 bullets are hollow points and 5 are solid bullets.. If I am hunting a plot of close quarter hunting where I have a good rest then I load the hollow points and plan for a neck shot..If I am hunting a gas or power line then I load a solid bullet and I will go behind the shoulder on anything over about 150 yards. I don't like tracking deer and I will opt for the neck shot when ever I can.. BTW, a good bullet directly in front of the shoulder will drop then quickly also and it is just as big a target as behind the shoulder..
http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:00 pm

Most of my kills have been neck shots and I have not lost a single one all of them have dropped in thier tracks or flipped and were dead before they hit the ground.

I carry one of those 10 round bullet holders on my stock on each of my guns.. 5 bullets are hollow points and 5 are solid bullets.. If I am hunting a plot of close quarter hunting where I have a good rest then I load the hollow points and plan for a neck shot..If I am hunting a gas or power line then I load a solid bullet and I will go behind the shoulder on anything over about 150 yards. I don't like tracking deer and I will opt for the neck shot when ever I can.. BTW, a good bullet directly in front of the shoulder will drop then quickly also and it is just as big a target as behind the shoulder..
http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
DUKLUVR
Veteran

Postby DUKLUVR » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:22 pm

If ya think it is a good thing, go ahead and try it. Different strokes for different folks. I shoot a single
shot 243, use ONLY ballistic tips. Shoot so it knocks out shoulder of exit side. Haven't had 1 yet
thad didn't drop right there. Good luck.
Dutch Dog
Duck South Addict

Postby Dutch Dog » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:31 pm

Where the neck meets the shoulder on "quartering to" shots will drop em like a hammer every time. I shoot whatever the deer presents me with. Broadside or quartering away gets shot behind/through the shoulders, quartering to gets neck/shoulder shot. The high shoulder shot will drop em DRT also.
It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”